what are the min attributes per class

I'm having a hard time parsing your question. I'm pretty sure there are no attribute minimums related to classes. Race does influence your attributes, but currently (soon to be revised) it's limited to -1, +1 or +2 to a couple of stats (totaling +2 in the end).

The 'standard' attribute range seems similar to D&D. (Pallegina, in a screenshot from Update 70, has unmodified attributes in the 9-16 range.) Attributes are point-buy, but I don't know if they're weighted. If it's (very) similar to D&D, 8 is a likely minimum, with lower only possible if you take a penalty based on your race (sooo... 7?). But perhaps you can dial 'em all the way down to 1? I don't think it's been said.

I wonder whether we have to spend all of our attribute points? I sometimes like to really highlight a characters differences and weaknesses, or simply make him worse than his comrades in general.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I ask this only out of "academic" curiosity, but why the minimum of 8? Is it because lots of things in the world are weaker/less intelligent/etc. than humanoids, and thus still needed to be represented on the scale?

Was always a little silly in D&D that you could roll up a character who couldn't functionally do anything, because all but 1 or 2 stats was below 8 or so.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I would suggest that minimum of 8 maximum of 18 is in order to keep the feel of D&D. Certainly later D&D pnp has a minimum of 8 - did any of the D&D crpgs do the same? I recall BG and IWD dropping stats to 1 or 2, but I can't remember NWN or ToEE.

I would suggest that minimum of 8 maximum of 18 is in order to keep the feel of D&D. Certainly later D&D pnp has a minimum of 8 - did any of the D&D crpgs do the same? I recall BG and IWD dropping stats to 1 or 2, but I can't remember NWN or ToEE.

I think in NWN2 8 was the starting point for all attributes and you could decrease it further.

If you go by this wiki the minimum in baldurs gate is race specific. e.g. an elf minimum charisma is 8 a human minimum charisma is 3.

I don't think so. I believe he was just affirming that the initial (well, most significant pretty-early, at least) D&D ruleset actually employed the same rule/mechanic. I think it's just a FWIW factoid.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I meant it in a humourous sense which I think may have been lost in translation, but Prometheus had already done the FWIW so it just seemed amusing.

Also, I presume stat gains are not a standard level up feature in the system?

Is there anything which can modify your base stats?

Are temporary bonuses (if they are a thing via potions or the likes) taken into account for conversation/CYOA screen choices?

Just so it's all in the same place, Josh made a relevant comment on stat minimums in one of the response-to-gameplay-video threads:

is there an obsidian rationale regarding stat minimums? we won't ask josh personal pov as we has already heard regarding various games and developments and we promise not to bludgeon you with past comments. if you explain, we will take explanation graciously and forgo a response. assuming abilities is balanced, we is always perplexed by minimums, but am genuine curious 'bout the PoE reasoning.

No real rationale, actually.  They've just been set to those values for a while.  I'll ask Roby to set the minimums lower for the backer beta.

So it looks like we'll get a chance to playtest more-extremely-min-max'ed characters in the beta. 

I meant it in a humourous sense which I think may have been lost in translation, but Prometheus had already done the FWIW so it just seemed amusing.

Ahh, my bad. :)

Also, yay for slightly lower minimums!

I do think it's nice to have them not be set down to 1 or something. Again, especially if all creatures in the lore are going to be governed by the same stats (if a bunny has an intelligence of 2, it's silly for an adventuring Human(oid) to have such an intelligence and still be functioning). But, it's also nice to feel like you can have legitimate deficits in given stats.

Ahh, my bad. :)

Nonsense, you simply failed to smell what the Sawyer was cooking and he dropped the Obsidian Elbow on you Kjaamor.

• Like 3

I think making sure no one can dump stats too hard is a good idea. I'm playing through IWD2 at the moment and it is a little silly that everyone but my bard is a sub-human monster with such low charisma that i'm not sure they can communicate in anything other than grunts while my wizard is the only one who doesn't have the mental capacity of a rabbit.

I think making sure no one can dump stats too hard is a good idea. I'm playing through IWD2 at the moment and it is a little silly that everyone but my bard is a sub-human monster with such low charisma that i'm not sure they can communicate in anything other than grunts while my wizard is the only one who doesn't have the mental capacity of a rabbit.

Silly indeed! But it's your choice, right? I wouldn't want to keep other people from playing around with the game. Not that I'm too bothered either way, I like keeping stats to human levels.

Silly indeed! But it's your choice, right? I wouldn't want to keep other people from playing around with the game. Not that I'm too bothered either way, I like keeping stats to human levels.

Well, hopefully the way the attributes are designed in PoE means that the desire to min-max is relatively low since the characters will be viable whatever whereas my monk in IWD2 kind of needed to be clinically stupid and utterly unlikeable so that I could ramp up his other stats and keep him useful.