What familiar types do you think wizards can get.

All wizards have a familiar, which functions as a mobile totem for the wizard and provides defensive bonuses for the wizard and their allies.

What types will there be?

Under a black flab we compile.

I'm 99.9% sure familiars have been dropped as a feature.

A summonable creature could perhaps fill the same role, if Wizards can use it to scout or indirectly cast spells. Otherwise, familiars mostly seem like decoration.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm 99.9% sure familiars have been dropped as a feature.

They have been awfully silent about them ever since that initial mention of them like 20 updates ago. I really, really hope they haven't been dropped. I second Gfted1's saddy face.

@rjshae: They were supposed to bestow "aura" type effects around themselves, and allow for the Wizard to cast spells from a remote source. But, at the same time, if the familiar died, that was supposed to be bad (Dunno if it was instantly permanent death, or just a big, temporary detriment bestowed upon the Wizard, etc.). So, they would've been non-decorations in the original design.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Nothing said or shown about them at e3 I'm guessing?

In Update #74 Arcane Veil and Blast are starting abilities and Familiar was in Update #20 a starting ability, but a caster class has only two starting abilities +  access to 1st level spells. So it was either removed completely or familiar is now an ability that you gain on level up. They could also have changed the ability familiar to a talent or spell.

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

...at the same time, if the familiar died, that was supposed to be bad (Dunno if it was instantly permanent death, or just a big, temporary detriment bestowed upon the Wizard, etc.). So, they would've been non-decorations in the original design.

I rarely use familiars in other games that have offered them as an option for wizards for exactly this reason.  I find the penalty to the wizard to be a liability that nearly always outweighs any benefit the familiar brings. The 'nearly' is for games/situations in which the familiar can physically hide to avoid the risks of combat yet remain close enough to grant benefits to its wizard; I specify physical hiding because every protection spell cast on a familiar is magic the wizard would otherwise be able to use to another purpose.

• Like 1

^I'm in a similar boat - I summoned a familiar in BG - but then it spent the entire game in the backpack, never using its abilities, because the penalty for it dying was a permanent loss of a constitution point (which the mage could scarce afford).  (I could've save-scummed in that case but I didn't want another liability to force that).

(That was annoyingly taking up a pack-slot as well)

In NWN2, I used it more often - as there was only a temporary penalty for the summoned familiar dying and the bonuses (early game) were useful.  Late game I rarely summoned one except for the odd roleplaying situation.

So if familiars are in, I'd like it to be more NWN2 and less BG in execution.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

@rjshae: They were supposed to bestow "aura" type effects around themselves, and allow for the Wizard to cast spells from a remote source. But, at the same time, if the familiar died, that was supposed to be bad (Dunno if it was instantly permanent death, or just a big, temporary detriment bestowed upon the Wizard, etc.). So, they would've been non-decorations in the original design.

The old Warhammer FRP Druids used to have familiars that were spirit-based. I.e. they didn't exist in a material form. Perhaps they will be like that, and the 'familiar' totem effect will just be another power that Wizards can activate?

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

His choice of wording implies it could be added later. Not a "core feature" sounds like it was relegated to add-on status. Or just a diplomatic way of saying binned. 

The likelihood is very small for the initial release, but we did do work on it and it could be supported in an expansion.

• Like 4

We're heading into unfamiliar territory...

Hey! Someone's been smithing in my forge!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yes, sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but familiars are not a core feature for wizards any more.  They seemed to have a mixed response initially and it seemed more important to make sure their spell roster was broad.

Mixed response? Phooey! This is most disappointing. I never make a wizard or sorcerer without a familiar. Is the possibility still open for them to be included in an expansion pack? *crosses fingers*

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

His choice of wording implies it could be added later. Not a "core feature" sounds like it was relegated to add-on status. Or just a diplomatic way of saying binned.

The likelihood is very small for the initial release, but we did do work on it and it could be supported in an expansion.

You may have missed this part Tsuga.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

You may have missed this part Tsuga.

Indeed, I did, having commented before reading the entire thread. Thanks!

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/