HA! Years ago i was ridiculed for saying.... but now!....

On this forum a long time ago I got into a big debate with a bunch of idiot skeptics.  My argument was that a light saber could potentially be made with technology we don't know yet...  I got all sorts of harassment and bad moods from people who just can't use their minds. Well, now Harvard says they can help make a light saber. So if it was you giving me trash for that HA!

http://www.popculturemonster.com/science-technology/lightsabers-accidentally-invented/?utm_content=bufferdf7e9&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Ambrosia3.gif

y argument was that a light saber could potentially be made with technology we don't know yet...

The Rumsfeld hypothesis.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know whether an energy blade that projects from a metal tube is possible, but I'm not at all sold that this discovery is like a lightsaber or could lead to the production of them.

Did the researcher say they can make a lightsaber? No.

Does it count as a lightsaber if the photons have to be in a medium?

Apart from being light that forms molecules does it have any of the properties attributed to lightsabers?

• Like 1

You made a thread specifically to yell at people over the internet because they disagreed with you earlier. And this happened years ago, as you said. So you've been steaming over an internet debate for years.

Okay.

Edited by Bryy

Congratulations, you should celebrate by getting laid.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

119374.gif

The sweetest irony of this thread is that it likely brought as much, if not more, ridicule on the OP than the original lightsaber argument, and rightly so.  Self-congratulatory threads deserve every last bit of ridicule the get.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I remember you getting some flak about the Light Saber Nunchuck idea in 2004 but don't remember the "real world Light Sabers" discussion.

Must have blinked.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

..well, if we learned one day that Lucasfilm had hired an expert to take on the entire "laser blast" idea. To attempt to make it sound more scientific and probable. But then gave up, and came back with a very embarrassing report about just how laughable it really is to create a solid bolt of light from the discharge of a laser beam. Then that wouldn't be much of a surprise, would it.

Lots of possibilities for narrative physics to cause disappointments, really. Light is one that real physicists struggle with too, but it's the worst offender in narrative science: "If you travel faster than light, you travel through time and space and infinite dimensions!". No. "If you slow down light, the energy constant will create a super-dense material that contains all it's radiation inside a very limited sword-like shape, or at least a bomb!". No. "If you send fifteen laser beams together in a focal point, it creates an infinitely more powerful beam pointing out at the apex!!". No.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Yeah, of course, nothing like that, the "light" saber is as much a Force weapon as it is physics-based. The Force is required to interact with and excite anti-photons emitted from the hilt 100cm to a micro-antimirror, held in place by reflection. In the hands of a non-Jedi, the weapon is blank, and dark, not unlike a flashlight without batteries. Use of the Force, however, enables the anti-photon extenuation to split real matter particles. I just made that all up.    

All Stop. On Screen.