Disappointed in Pledge rewards

I have to say that the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale series are my absolute favorite PC games of all time. I was very excited to hear about Pillars of Eternity and was very anxious to provide monetary support, but I was shocked that it took an excess of $100 pledge to get access to the Beta. I did the Early Access for Divinity: Original Sin at $35 and with that you got the full game at release as well as access to the Alpha and Beta and that game was amazing.

Pledging to a game in which you have so little to go on other than a concept (no actual game footage) is asking a lot, but I feel that Beta access should be granted at a far lesser amount than what is currently being asked. I feel that a $50 pledge would be a far more fair amount for a Beta access. I know some people are interested in the knick knacks such as music and maps and action figures, but perhaps they should make it more of a shopping cart thing. You pick n choose what you want and each item has a value and then you simply pledge for what you want.

My point is... I would be completely willing to pledge up to $50 for this game (sight unseen) if I got Beta Access, but since you have to pledge far more and I'm already promised the full game at release at $35, I don't really have any incentive to go any higher than that. As a result they lose out on $15 or even $20. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way either so the amount of missed revenue could be monumental.

Of course they could already be rolling in it and careless :)

You could also wait until an Early Access version is out on Steam and get that. 

I don't think Early Access has been confirmed. If it was, I'd be pissed because someone late to the party gets to play the game earlier than me, a silver backer, just because I want my copy to be on GoG. Besides, I think early access is a terrible business model.

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 1

While I can see what you're saying, I don't think I necessarily agree that the 'missed' revenue would be 'monumental'. Sure, there are likely some that want Beta access but are unwilling (or unable) to pledge the Beta access level. But I think if Beta access is really that important to someone, they'd probably go to that level if they can afford it. If not, then yes, there's always the 25 dollar add-on.

Hell, I pledged over 500 bucks and don't want Beta access. Don't get me wrong, I think beta testing is an excellent idea - and applaud those that participate in it, but I don't want a single playing moment of the game spoiled for me before I get my hands on the final release and start my first run through it.

• Like 1

Meh, I am not a fan of betas for story-driven games anyway.

It's set up as spoiler free on the main story.

I see, well that is convenient, but I'm still always more willing to test multiplayer games anyway as those tend to be a lot more fun in such environments (like dayz).

tsgUO.gif

I pledged just to get this game out to the public, or mainly to me. Betas, trinkets, are all bonuses we should be happy to receive for our contribution to the games development. Not why we should contribute.

Unfortunitly money does make the world go around.

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...