Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Obsidian Pillars of Eternity Eternity Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

EIDJ

EIDJ

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Steam:mreidj
  • PSN Portable ID:EIDJisTheMan
  • Xbox Gamertag:EIDJ

Honestly as much as I would like a new game I would love it if you went back to an old one. Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably what I would love to see most from you guys, while being a great game it had a few things that really hold it back. While it had an amazing story, great features, and over a hundred hours of gameplay it could be a million times better if you went back and remade it. A new engine would make it a much smoother play, updated graphics would help polish it's already beautiful world setting and some more expanded party character options would make it a must buy. I'll own up now that it's hands down my favorite game of all time which is why I decided to post in the first place. I know it's a long shot but it's an amazing game that I whole heatedly want to share with the current generation of gamers who've missed out on it's wonders. Just a thought, love you guys!

SummerDay

SummerDay

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You know, for all the flack it took, I really liked NWN2 also.  Playing it now actually, although fighting it every inch of the way on an 11 year old computer with XP.  

• EIDJ likes this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's just tacky and a waste of time.

Cedeos

Cedeos

Archivar of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Steam:Cedeos
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Honestly as much as I would like a new game I would love it if you went back to an old one. Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably what I would love to see most from you guys, while being a great game it had a few things that really hold it back. While it had an amazing story, great features, and over a hundred hours of gameplay it could be a million times better if you went back and remade it. A new engine would make it a much smoother play, updated graphics would help polish it's already beautiful world setting and some more expanded party character options would make it a must buy. I'll own up now that it's hands down my favorite game of all time which is why I decided to post in the first place. I know it's a long shot but it's an amazing game that I whole heatedly want to share with the current generation of gamers who've missed out on it's wonders. Just a thought, love you guys!

I liked the story and the 3.5e implementation, but the Aurora Engine and some Gameplay flaws (at least in my opinion) like the Death-System (even if it got somewhat better in SoZ), the crafting and the inventory fiddling killed most of the fun and I only managed to finish the campaign once. That being said, I mostly played (a lot) on persistant worlds - multiplayer engine (even with all its bugs and flaws) really being an outstanding feature of NWN2.

But I'd love to see it redone with a more polished engine and revised gameplay features, best maybe with isometric graphics, I actually never liked the 3D graphics of NWN2. But keeping it on the 3.5e Ruleset would probably be an issue of licencing.

I would be happy to back. Obisidians involvement in NWN2 is one of the main reasons I am so eager to play PoE.

glaspeylawson

glaspeylawson

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Steam:THE NOTORIOUS LAWSCHIN
  • PSN Portable ID:tylarthecreator5
  • Xbox Gamertag:BURNING INDICA

KOTOR 3

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ok seeing how Josh loves history and has stated his love for history quite a bit.....could a Call of Cthulhu be outta the question?
  • Zoma, Nepenthe, Suen and 1 other like this

GhoulishVisage

GhoulishVisage

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If they aren't going to make a game in a modern-horror setting I could go for a game inspired by Dark Sun.

hG7bTVu.jpg

• Lars Westergren and Malekith like this

Zoma

Zoma

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1360 posts

This setting. Mostly untouched, unexplored, loads of potential.

cover-of-dune-book-by-frank-herbert-artw

Edited by Zoma, 04 August 2014 - 09:36 AM.

GhoulishVisage

GhoulishVisage

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

See the problem with saying they should use specific settings is that they cannot do Kickstarters with them.

They can do games with settings inspired by or similar to certain IPs, but they can't just go and make a Dune game or a Star Wars game.

Them making their own IPs to work with holds many more benefits than just borrowing one for a single game anyways.

-They can do whatever they want with the setting with no restrictions

-They keep all of the profits from the game

-They can make a sequel whenever they feel like it, no need to go and abase oneself before any publishers

-We need more good original IPs in the world

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Uhm, no, there's no clause that says a company can't go to Kickstarter with a license (provided, obviously, they've worked it out with the license holder, gee). It's actually already happened. Now, is it desirable? Eeh, I don't know, but it can happen and Feargus actually hinted they were in talks for a license last time he talked about another Kickstarter.

GhoulishVisage

GhoulishVisage

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes, of course they can, but the Star Wars license is in EA's hands and so is, I believe, Dune's license (it hasn't been used by EA for a while, so I'm not certain about that).

EA has no business doing anything with Kickstarter. (They could do a Kickstarter yes, but that would be absolutely scummy.)

Kickstarting a game for the Star Wars universe, one of the biggest and most lucrative properties on the planet, would be wretched.

And I know that licenses have been used with KS before, such as with Numanera.

That IP however wasn't in the hands of some large publisher that could easily fund a game themselves, which are the sorts of licenses I was more specifically thinking of, and that come up in this thread quite a bit.

I am aware of Feargus saying that he was thinking of doing a game with an established IP, but it sounded a bit up-in-the-air:

“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

If they do decide to go that route I'll be slightly disappointed, but I've enjoyed their takes on established properties before and I hope they choose a good property to work on.

I personally think that brand-new IPs that Obsidian is free to do with as they wish is the best way to go.

Prometheus

Prometheus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
And I know that licenses have been used with KS before, such as with Numanera.

That IP however wasn't in the hands of some large publisher that could easily fund a game themselves, which are the sorts of licenses I was more specifically thinking of, and that come up in this thread quite a bit.

Microsoft also a big publisher owns the shadowrun video game license. Imo if you use a license from a large publisher, it should be an old license, that wasn't used for a game in a long time and where the risk for the publisher is too high to make a new game.

Personally I have no problem with an established IP. What I would like for the new game are unique classes(or if the game is without classes: skills) and different races.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ok seeing how Josh loves history and has stated his love for history quite a bit.....could a Call of Cthulhu be outta the question?

Won't be Call of Cthulhu since that's trademarked.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
"All of Thulhu" - you heard it here first!
  • sorophx likes this

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Won't be Call of Cthulhu since that's trademarked.

Call of the Generic Lovecraftian Sea Horror

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Doggone it, Dagon" - the comedy Lovecraftian RPG.

• Play as an Elder God, summoned to earth in a weak and vulnerable state, guiding them as he or she tries to solidify their hold in the material plane! (Do these cult robes make me look fat?)
  • Fight well meaning (but you know, obviously misguided) mortals trying to stop you from dominating the world!
  • Gather your worshipers! (I am an Elder God Prince, and unfortunately my money is tied up outside of space-time. I am willing to share this money with you if you allow me to transfer my funds directly to your account.  Please follow these directions...)
  • Change the course of your worshiper's lives! (...Mi-Go Cylinders are ALL THE RAGE in Paris this year!  Trust me!)
  • Romance all of your companions! (Is it just me, or do you have that "Innsmouth look"? :brows: ).
  • And in the end, fight your fellow Elder Gods who have come to Earth with plans of their own! (I have had it with mother****ing Yig on this mother****ing plane)

:biggrin:

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Would also like a "Pulp Adventure" set in the 30s.  Doublely unlikely unless "Pulp Adventure" is defined as "Action + Lovecraft Mythos" in which case it goes back to just unlikely.

Yeah, I was gonna say prohibition era gangster game.

• Lars Westergren likes this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well if they keep current engine (which I hope so) I would like to either see Vampires (licensed) or completely new sci-fy IP. Not fan of gangsters rpg or even western one

Edited by Chilloutman, 07 August 2014 - 06:25 AM.

bootkia

bootkia

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

May I ask...when is Pillars of Eternity scheduled to launch?

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Current word is " Winter 2014". Don't think they've been more specific than that (probably wouldn't want to be, until the Beta starts going anyhow)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obsidian, Pillars of Eternity, Eternity, Kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users