Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

Dune RPG sounds interesting, but I think there are a lot of crowdfunded isometric RPGs already and even more coming. While full 3D ones aren't that common (Underworld Ascendant is one coming example). Obsidian can experiemnt with both types.

As for WOD / VtM, it's a pity all last projects were cancelled. Only this teasing trailer remained: https://youtube.com/watch?v=OEi7nQbNDog

Edited by shmerl

TBH maybe I'm the only person who didn't like any of Obsidians 3D games, purely because I didn't like the feel of the engines or how the game handled. They were never as slick or polished as Bethesda games, and similarly I didn't like Witcher 1 which was based on the Aurora engine.

2D, or at the most fixed top down 3D is all that works for me in these kinds of games, I don't want 3D RPGs anymore.

I hope they try their own.

I wish for a game inspire by Arcanum or something out of this world. Fantasy, but totally crazy.

Oh man. What I wouldn't give for another Arcanum game...

TBH maybe I'm the only person who didn't like any of Obsidians 3D games, purely because I didn't like the feel of the engines or how the game handled. They were never as slick or polished as Bethesda games, and similarly I didn't like Witcher 1 which was based on the Aurora engine.

2D, or at the most fixed top down 3D is all that works for me in these kinds of games, I don't want 3D RPGs anymore.

I actually don't like later Bethesda games. Their last good RPG was Morrowind, but I like both Witchers a lot. And I usually not that much into looking for best graphics ever, I'm more interested in the story. Of course I appreciate good graphics, but that's not what makes it or breaks an RPG for me. Story however does, and both Witcher games are excellent in that regard. As for 3D and isometric, both have their place and there are great examples in both types.

Edited by shmerl

A spirtual successor to Fallout 2, much in the same way Pillars was for Baldur's Gate. Pillars looks amazing (by far the best looking isometric game I've ever seen) and while playing I can't help but wish there was another Fallout-esq game just like it. Pillars is what I would consider "open world", but you also kind of have to take specific paths, especially at first, to progress so the beginning of the game is largely the same each time. Fallout 2 just gave you a world map and lets you go. You can go to nearly any town that you like right from the start. You could complete the game only visiting Arroyo (starting area) and San Fransico. That sort of "go anywhere you want any time you want" is what has been missing for me. Wasteland 2 had the "theme" of Fallout, but it didn't have the open world (it let you choose which areas to go to first, but it was all largely required and with few hubs). Honestly, it may not even need to have the setting of Fallout, at this point, just having a game of any theme that gives you that sort of freedom would be great, though I do prefer guns or sci-fi over sword&shield.

Guys sorry if i missed it, but wasn't the new kickstarter project to be announced back at 2014? They just postponed it for this year (2015) or was , oh god no, cancelled ?

Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα  (Only one thing i know, that i know nothing) - Socrates.

Paradox interview about Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity.

My translation:

With Obsidian, the agreement is entirely different. Obsidian is a legendary game studio with titles such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout : New Vegas in their portfolio. In 2012, the studio raised four million dollars from 74,000 backers in a Kickstarter campaign, and in 2014 concluded a publishing deal with Paradox for help with the marketing, and to take care of all commitments made to the Kickstarter backers.

- "For us, the agreement with Obsidian is a long-term commitment. It is a prestigious collaboration with a studio we wanted to work with for a very long time. And I think we've proven that we handled our duties well. We make money on this as well, but not in the same order of magnitude as the revenue from Cities: Skylines, of course. On the other hand, that was never our intent, our work with Obsidian puts us on the map of publishers working with really big titles within our genres of interest", says Fredrik Wester.

So if we have not seen another Kickstarter yet... Is Obsidian's next game a joint venture by Obsidian and Paradox?

What does Paradox' long-term commitment constitute? How does their collaboration put Paradox on the map "working with really big titles within our genres of interest"?

Anything can happen in the next episode of...

0038390.jpg

f9a74fb0fabd5e7cab6deb9c49371962_400x400

At this point, anything can really happen.

Edited by Rostere
  • Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

My translation:

With Obsidian, the agreement is entirely different. Obsidian is a legendary game studio with titles such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout : New Vegas in their portfolio. In 2012, the studio raised four million dollars from 74,000 backers in a Kickstarter campaign, and in 2014 concluded a publishing deal with Paradox for help with the marketing, and to take care of all commitments made to the Kickstarter backers.

- "For us, the agreement with Obsidian is a long-term commitment. It is a prestigious collaboration with a studio we wanted to work with for a very long time. And I think we've proven that we handled our duties well.

Paradox may feel they've proven themselves. As one who has yet to receive discs, box, or even an email saying when these are likely to ship, I'm not seeing it. I would also not support another Obsidian Kickstarter unless this situation changes in the very near future. Delivering on one's commitments is good.

A spirtual successor to Fallout 2, much in the same way Pillars was for Baldur's Gate...

Wasteland 2 had the "theme" of Fallout, but it didn't have the open world.

Still, it's quite close. Something in Blade Runner / cyberpunk syle would be more original (there was nothing like that recently).

That reminds me: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Rise_of_the_Dragon_1990

Edited by shmerl

There is a long road ahead and there is a Pillars expansion in case you guys missed it.

After that I really hope that Obsidian jump in the Cyberpunk wagon, that's a genre with a lot potential and few dared to make video games about it.(If you compare with fantasy theme)

My translation:

- "For us, the agreement with Obsidian is a long-term commitment. It is a prestigious collaboration with a studio we wanted to work with for a very long time. And I think we've proven that we handled our duties well.

Paradox may feel they've proven themselves. As one who has yet to receive discs, box, or even an email saying when these are likely to ship, I'm not seeing it. I would also not support another Obsidian Kickstarter unless this situation changes in the very near future. Delivering on one's commitments is good.

Tell me about it.

I don't really think we know who we can assign blame to, though, seeing how Obsidian is late with both the documentary and Avellone's novel. Although it does worry me that I've heard a person say that the PoE cloth map is "a bit blurry".

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'd like something with Chtulhu-esque horror. Could be also Scy-Fi, as long as the focus is in the horror and people becoming mad, not technology per se. But I'd rather have something steampunk-ish with chtulhu-esque horror.

• Like 1

First of all, thanks for Pillars of Eternity! I've just finished first act, very intresting what awaits me further in the game.

You are really best RPG makers now. I couldn't continue playing recent dragon age 3 when mighty inqvisitor was kicked(?!?!) from the palace by some servants (with a system message?!) for his breaking etiquette by fighting invaders in a palace (?!?!?!?!) - because dragon age 3 after that moment fully turned into some strange mix of arcade mini games, while I do like RPG. So, Pillars of Eternity is a fresh air, I waited it for years, wasteland 2 was much weaker.

You have made an intresting plot with meaningfull dilemas, and your combat system already looks better then dnd, one should decide now which attribute to increase.

So, all is well, press on, I want you to become the most large company on the RPG market, perhaps you should be larger then EA, only do not loose your quality. Be independent, that also means you should have enough money to take financial risks. Remember, some of publishers may well be your enemies because while a gamer plays your game once more time because he didn't tried yet another class or character ideals, he may well not buy call of duty x or some so-called "rpg". Rely on your strength, steam, and community.

I can help with finding untrivial moral problems for your future games should you need it.

I'm not much of a poster on these forums, even less after the KS campaign launched in 2012 but now I felt I had to even though I know I'm just wasting my time. You guys have weird priorities. I put quite a lot of money in PoE and I'm still not complaining.

1. I don't need my signed CE box for anything except for display. WHOPDIDOO! And almost all the extra crap in the box we already got in digital.
2. I am getting them eventually.
3. I knew I wouldn't get them for launch (I've never received my physical backer rewards in time and I knew this won't be any different, at least Obsidian tried and that's a lot more than some of the other have done)
4. I have already received the reason I gave Obsidian my money.

It's the game

Everyone wants all their rewards, I get that. I do too but this has to stop. You backed PoE so Obsidian could make the game, yes? We got it and it's great*, everything else should be extra. They are doing the best they can. And not backing the next project because of this. Wtf? If this is the biggest problem then you really should've used the money somewhere else in the first place. Like I said, I put a lot of money in their KS campaign (and I was unemployed back then), I haven't received my physical rewards and I still would back their next game if they had to get the funding through crowdfunding.

And about some of the rewards being late, I don't know what's going on with Avellone's novel but I do know that they wanted to get something from the launch party included, should they have had the launch party a few weeks or a month before just so they could have it ready for launch? They are not filming a home video here, editing etc takes time.

End of rant. 

Edit: On topic - maybe something sci-fi next? Perhaps turn-based, isometric and.... stuff.

* Opinions and personal experiences may differ

Edited by Apatia
  • Like 2

I'd like to see Obsidian at least continue with a few RPGs that revolve in the world of PoE, and if they need kickstarter to do it, then I'm all for it. I think it would be nice too if they can keep the freedom and creativity to continue with their own game IP.

• Like 1

Well, one team should keep on working on the PoE expansion and possible sequel.

But if another team wants to kickstart another series....I know it sounds obvious, but, um, the already have the Pathfinder license...

Or are you asking for my fantasy idea? How about a fantasy RPG, but instead of medieval Euro trappings, change the time/place entirely.   Like maybe Meso-America? Or maybe a sci-fi setting blended with high fantasy tropes...like, some sort of evil "Lords" that are opposed by an order of "Knights" who have to travel around the galaxy to save a princess?

No, no. Focus on this game and update its engine. Then they can move somewhere else.

Rather than a saga, I'd love to see a couple more expansions to PoE, and make it an unique game like Torment was. 

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

I'm not much of a poster on these forums, even less after the KS campaign launched in 2012 but now I felt I had to even though I know I'm just wasting my time. You guys have weird priorities. I put quite a lot of money in PoE and I'm still not complaining.

1. I don't need my signed CE box for anything except for display. WHOPDIDOO! And almost all the extra crap in the box we already got in digital.

2. I am getting them eventually.

3. I knew I wouldn't get them for launch (I've never received my physical backer rewards in time and I knew this won't be any different, at least Obsidian tried and that's a lot more than some of the other have done)

4. I have already received the reason I gave Obsidian my money.

It's the game

Everyone wants all their rewards, I get that. I do too but this has to stop. You backed PoE so Obsidian could make the game, yes? We got it and it's great*, everything else should be extra. They are doing the best they can. And not backing the next project because of this. Wtf? If this is the biggest problem then you really should've used the money somewhere else in the first place. Like I said, I put a lot of money in their KS campaign (and I was unemployed back then), I haven't received my physical rewards and I still would back their next game if they had to get the funding through crowdfunding.

And about some of the rewards being late, I don't know what's going on with Avellone's novel but I do know that they wanted to get something from the launch party included, should they have had the launch party a few weeks or a month before just so they could have it ready for launch? They are not filming a home video here, editing etc takes time.

End of rant. 

Edit: On topic - maybe something sci-fi next? Perhaps turn-based, isometric and.... stuff.

* Opinions and personal experiences may differ

Nice rage, but rather beside the point. Many of us supported tiers with two copies, one physical and one digital so that we and a partner would each have a copy. Until my husband and I each have our own copy, I don't agree that Obsidian has delivered "the game."  That other Kickstarters have also failed to deliver physical rewards in a timely fashion is cautionary, but irrelevant--unless Obsidian wishes to be viewed as "not quite a real business."

I don't care what they have planned.  After Pillars of Eternity I'll be on board for any Kickstarter they do.  Sadly I was unable to be a backer for POE but I've bought the game and I'm loving it.  I've always been a fan of Obsidian and it's obvious that they love what they do.  I really like that they were able to use Kickstarter to make a game that they were passionate about and I want to be a part of that process for their next one.