Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

Really? But from what i see on the net, zombie apocalypse theme is very popular, that is why zombie apocalypse games and movies are still relevant. But maybe gamers on games forums are just being picky and minority.....

From what i know, people love zombie apocalypse because of

i. it's dark nature and environment - it is a creepy demonic world where we must survive

ii. emotional value - some zombies are crelated to main character

iii. a world without law - everything justified by "i need to survive", the only thing stop you going too far is your own morality

iv. mystery - surely there is a cause of the madness, want to find it out

v.  the feeling of being a survivor - you are a special one because you don't become a zombie, just don't get bitten by zombies

vi. friendship is magic - everyone else are zombies, so your company is the only ones you can talk to, if they are not crazy

vii. searching for hope - maybe there are other survivors, want to find them and bring them together to start a new life

Yes and they should add Nazis too ,killing Nazis is also cool an they should also add LAZORS!!1 and jet packs.

The zombie "genre" is saturated and full of cheap and repeated cliches . And yes ,they laughed about that in South park the stick of truth so I am pretty sure that they won't make another lame zombie game.

I am not sure what the chances are that such a game will will be funded but I do want a space exploration/sand box game with ship upgrade system and ship to ship battle mechanics like Star control 2/3  ,Space rangers:rise of the dominators (which is one of the most underrated games ever created a must buy for anyone who likes this genre) and some of Sierras' old stuff.

People love cliches, just admit it, we see cliches everywhere and we enjoyed it, we live on cliches, we succumb to cliches, what is the meaning of a an art and entertainment without cliches?

Space explorations are also full of cliches, you will see another Halo, Star Craft, Mass Effect, Unreal, Star Wars....all are based on the same cliches.

What i am suggesting is ancient-medieval zombie apocalypse, yes the theme is cliche but what makes it's different is the time set up, the environment, the story, even so it is a zombie apocalypse it will not be the same with Resident Evil, The Walking Dead, World War Z...because it have different package

Look at Dark Souls, literally it is a zombie apocalypse, you meet zombies the very first time you play at the Nothern Asylum...and those NPCs at Firelink they are all...zombies...the Undead. You yourself is a zombie. But then when you go further into the game, you realize there is a story behind everything you meet along the way...the story is cliche, but you won't feel it, because the environment and everything

I don't say Dark Souls is good, the game suck actually

But what i mean is people love it, because of the reasons i listed above

Edited by Qistina

I would like Arcanum 2. Sadly, Obsidian, does not own the IP.

Ah, what the heck. They should just do it and then call it "TimCainum" or something instead.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'd like to see their old Troika boys help them with a new Vampire RPG..you know a certain 3rd person action RPG that is now a sexy cult classic? But sack off the Licensed Vamps

Edited by Coaxmetal
  • Like 1

Fairy Light Chip of Draxor FX Enchanted@4.5 static bolts

Holy graphics card of Edenwell 6000

8 Gelgaplex of rammage

100 stash squares of the heavy traveller

Really? But from what i see on the net, zombie apocalypse theme is very popular, that is why zombie apocalypse games and movies are still relevant. But maybe gamers on games forums are just being picky and minority.....

From what i know, people love zombie apocalypse because of

i. it's dark nature and environment - it is a creepy demonic world where we must survive

ii. emotional value - some zombies are crelated to main character

iii. a world without law - everything justified by "i need to survive", the only thing stop you going too far is your own morality

iv. mystery - surely there is a cause of the madness, want to find it out

v.  the feeling of being a survivor - you are a special one because you don't become a zombie, just don't get bitten by zombies

vi. friendship is magic - everyone else are zombies, so your company is the only ones you can talk to, if they are not crazy

vii. searching for hope - maybe there are other survivors, want to find them and bring them together to start a new life

Yes and they should add Nazis too ,killing Nazis is also cool an they should also add LAZORS!!1 and jet packs.

The zombie "genre" is saturated and full of cheap and repeated cliches . And yes ,they laughed about that in South park the stick of truth so I am pretty sure that they won't make another lame zombie game.

I am not sure what the chances are that such a game will will be funded but I do want a space exploration/sand box game with ship upgrade system and ship to ship battle mechanics like Star control 2/3  ,Space rangers:rise of the dominators (which is one of the most underrated games ever created a must buy for anyone who likes this genre) and some of Sierras' old stuff.

People love cliches, just admit it, we see cliches everywhere and we enjoyed it, we live on cliches, we succumb to cliches, what is the meaning of a an art and entertainment without cliches?

Space explorations are also full of cliches, you will see another Halo, Star Craft, Mass Effect, Unreal, Star Wars....all are based on the same cliches.

What i am suggesting is ancient-medieval zombie apocalypse, yes the theme is cliche but what makes it's different is the time set up, the environment, the story, even so it is a zombie apocalypse it will not be the same with Resident Evil, The Walking Dead, World War Z...because it have different package

Look at Dark Souls, literally it is a zombie apocalypse, you meet zombies the very first time you play at the Nothern Asylum...and those NPCs at Firelink they are all...zombies...the Undead. You yourself is a zombie. But then when you go further into the game, you realize there is a story behind everything you meet along the way...the story is cliche, but you won't feel it, because the environment and everything

I don't say Dark Souls is good, the game suck actually

But what i mean is people love it, because of the reasons i listed above

Nearly half of the new games on steam are zombie games. Every shi*** developer is trying his luck with this genre because it needs no good plot or conclusion . The last zombie game that was worth mentioning IMO was the Last of us. Everything else is just so repetitive that I am pretty sure that many fans of this genre are tired of that and might not feel the urge to fund a new game even if its' settings are unique, but I might be wrong and the guys in Obsidian can surely create something special if they want to...

Note that Pillars of eternity succeeded because many people missed  the original RPGs and there were almost no games like that in the last 10+ years (Larian studios games are exceptions but up until DO:S they weren't at the same level of the old classics). So people felt that was their chance to resurrect this genre. I am pretty sure that a kickstarter for a game type that is so common won't be such a success.

I think that the isometric/2D space-RPG genre still has a lot of fans and for the last 15+ years there was only one game I can think about that somehow fits into the shoes of Star control ,plus ,those games are pretty cheap to make so it might be a good idea for a relatively low  risk kickstarter (Even though it might be too late as the original gamers are too old). A one of it's kind RPG similiar to Jade empire might also be a good idea even though it isn't well known as BG...

And I believe that the people who love Dark Souls are mainly challenge hungry masochists who love to fail a lot and to suffer from those horrible combat mechanics. I usually have a lot of patience and I was able to cope with the second witcher but this was way too much for me...

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Nearly half of the new games on steam are zombie games. Every shi*** developer is trying his luck with this genre because it needs no good plot or conclusion . The last zombie game that was worth mentioning IMO was the Last of us. Everything else is just so repetitive that I am pretty sure that many fans of this genre are tired of that and might not feel the urge to fund a new game even if its' settings are unique, but I might be wrong and the guys in Obsidian can surely create something special if they want to...

Note that Pillars of eternity succeeded because many people missed  the original RPGs and there were almost no games like that in the last 10+ years (Larian studios games are exceptions but up until DO:S they weren't at the same level of the old classics). So people felt that was their chance to resurrect this genre. I am pretty sure that a kickstarter for a game type that is so common won't be such a success.

I think that the isometric/2D space-RPG genre still has a lot of fans and for the last 15+ years there was only one game I can think about that somehow fits into the shoes of Star control ,plus ,those games are pretty cheap to make so it might be a good idea for a relatively low  risk kickstarter (Even though it might be too late as the original gamers are too old). A one of it's kind RPG similiar to Jade empire might also be a good idea even though it isn't well known as BG...

And I believe that the people who love Dark Souls are mainly challenge hungry masochists who love to fail a lot and to suffer from those horrible combat mechanics. I usually have a lot of patience and I was able to cope with the second witcher but this was way too much for me...

Dark Souls the first story theme actually similar to Skyrim and Dragon Age : Origin, the world is about to end, the chosen one postpone it or let it end. What makes the different is the monster we face. And that's visual make up making the those games are different game. But people love them.

In Skyrim, it is actually a "dragon apocalypse", it just replacing zombie with dragon, in Dragon Age : Origin, the zombie being replaced with Darkspawn. The main character is the chosen one who postponed the world end, the world should ended because of the apocalypse but the chosen one manage to postponed it to another time.

That's cliche, but people love it, because people love cliche. It is just how the cliche being presented makes all the difference.

As for game mechanic, i my self don't really like FPS games, i liked dice rolling mechanic such as in Dragon Age : Origin and KotOR. I don't like to fail because of my poor reflex, it is fine if i fail because of my poor build. If Skyrim and Dark Souls are dice rolling games then it is perfect for me.

Maybe Obsidian can make such game....single player game with open world like Skyrim and environment like Dark Souls but with dice rolling game mechanic.

Edited by Qistina

Maybe Obsidian can make such game....single player game with open world like Skyrim and environment like Dark Souls but with dice rolling game mechanic.

Expecting Skyrim-esque out of a crowd funded project is ridiculous. You do realize these huge open world games cost 10's of millions of dollars to make well enough to be worth doing, right? I don't think Obsidian wants to do anything that isn't going to be done right and at a high quality level. The 2D isometric style games are many times less expensive to do at a very high level. Especially if they already have the tech and a team ramped up on said tech and processes.

The beauty of Pillars is that it's modernized/stylized take on a genre we played the hell out of back in the day. It has appeal to a wide audience without being watered down. It may be 2D (2.5D really?), but that doesn't mean it's not a freaking gorgeous game.

• Like 6

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

Expecting Skyrim-esque out of a crowd funded project is ridiculous. You do realize these huge open world games cost 10's of millions of dollars to make well enough to be worth doing, right? I don't think Obsidian wants to do anything that isn't going to be done right and at a high quality level. The 2D isometric style games are many times less expensive to do at a very high level. Especially if they already have the tech and a team ramped up on said tech and processes.

The beauty of Pillars is that it's modernized/stylized take on a genre we played the hell out of back in the day. It has appeal to a wide audience without being watered down. It may be 2D (2.5D really?), but that doesn't mean it's not a freaking gorgeous game.

Don't have to be exactly like Skyrim, i don't mind an open world with KotOR 2 graphic, "Skyrim" is just a popular analogy, i could say Oblivion or Morrowind. What important is it have Dark Souls eerie and creepy environment, with dice roll game mechanic.

Obsidian have done it right in KotOR 2, sure if given time and planning, Obsidian can make a very large and detailed world using KotOR 2 engine.

I don't play horror games, because a lot of times they just seem too gory and not suspenseful or interesting enough.

Having said that though, I think that Obsidian could do a good Horror/Suspense/Fantasy RPG, tastefully done, it would be fantastic.

Something like Ravenloft meets Lovecraft.

EDIT: And if they did it themselves, from scratch, they wouldn't have any constraints and could really go to town. It could be really amazing.

Edited by metacontent
  • Like 1

I don't think there's a game like Skyrim and Dark Souls, but with dice roll mechanic, isn't it? Mostly are hack and slash. Why not Obsidian make one?

In KotOR 2, The Exile sometimes traveling alone in Nar Shadda (meeting The Exchange/Goto) and Korriban (the dark side ruin meeting Revan), in Trayus Academy, i don't see why it can't be done. Oh even the first phase of KotOR 2 is being alone

Edited by Qistina

I like to think that the reason Fantasy and Star Wars are so popular is the variety of ways you can tackle problems with different character builds. The presence of Magic (or its equivalent: the Force) is a big reason for this; the different magic types make combat and other gaming elements more diverse and challenging. You see a similar thing in the Mass Effect series, where you can build based on biotics, robotics, stealth, and/or weapons combos. I'd like a future title, whatever the genre, to include this type of character build diversity.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Did Obsidian actually confirm they'll continue crowdfunded games? They mentioned not long ago that several publishers approach them to fund their future projects. I hope it doesn't meany any of their future games will suddenly stop being DRM-free.