Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

Would love to see another Kickstarter by Obsidian using the PoE engine, and an atmosphere and combat style similar to this:

Will be keeping this on my radar.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

is probable easier to do stuff we don't wanna see. ultimately, we would like for the developers to do a game that surprises Gromnir, which necessarily precludes us being able to describe such a game. even so, there is some plots and themes and settings and similar such stuff that we has grown tired o' seeing.

bad list:

zombies. we loathe zombies. we didn't hate zombies a decade ago, but they has been overdone to the point that we is reflexive antagonistic to anything zombie related.

vampires. apologies to shady, but we has never liked vampires. old skool vampire wherein dracula is cursed by God is better than current crazy-sexy-kewl vampires o' the post anne rice era, but we never embraced even the bram stoker versions. God curses dracula by turning him into an immortal monster with superpowers that, not surprisingly, gots a grudge against God and his followers? kinda makes God seem like a bit o' a jackarse, no? 

post apocalypse setting. nuke apocalypse or environmental apocalypse or... whatever. choose your poison. a blighted sci-fi or fantasy wasteland  doesn't have inherent appeal to us.

chosen one protagonist.

etc.

we could continue, but truth-to-tell, we can envision a good zombie, vampire, chosen-one game. execution o' the developer is far more important than is individual aspects. that being said, we kinda like weird west settings, and we would love to see a late 60s or early 70s action movie inspired crpg. Bullitt, Shaft and Enter the Dragon were great entertainment, and in a sense, they were just as fantastic as lotr. play your cop or secret agent character solving crime or perhaps being a criminal? Popeye Doyle appeals to us far more than Aragorn as the inspiration for a crpg protagonist.

but again, the bestsest game would be one we didn't envision or imagine, so we cannot possibly describe.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't see any chance that a Star Wars story game is outsourced again. That was a special occasion, and we should be grateful for it But it's not the norm.

I'd prefer a new IP from Obsidian. There are so many untapped ideas/settings...

Yeah, Disney is going to give their IPs to bigger studios.

Perhaps it's just me, but the zombie gaming market seems overly saturated right now. It seems like the undead tropes are getting a little stale... or else I'm jaded.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not sure how the survival aspect would mesh with a society that is well-established and has a stable structure already though. Unless you play as a witch or something and you just replace the zombie sprites with pitchfork-wielding peasants...

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Waifu sim.

Desu desu kawaiii, Krieger-san.

I'd like a version of the Shadowrun game that didn't suck.

Jordan Weisman went through hell getting that license back. I don't see Hairebrained farming it out anytime soon.

Waifu sim.

Desu desu kawaiii, Krieger-san.

I'd like a version of the Shadowrun game that didn't suck.

Jordan Weisman went through hell getting that license back. I don't see Hairebrained farming it out anytime soon.

Actually you are in luck, Harebrain host a new shadowrun kickstarter and very likely it won't suck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/comments

Edited by Gnostic

I don't usually consider myself "elitist" (old, cynic, jaded, conceited and spoiled perhaps), but I'm tired of games going out their way to cater to political correctness. Not talking about trying to appeal niche groups, just trying to bring out outrageous ideas that doesn't care about censorship or offending sensibilities. No, I haven't really tried the postal games, the "humour" isn't really my kind of humour. I think I'll go watch the old Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?) Conan movies again. Misogynistic check, chainmail bikinies check, good guy team member gets killed check, gratuitous violence check, gratuious sex check. Oh, and Basil Poledouris soundtrack check.

No, not really looking for a Conan crpg, just felt like trying to elaborate a point.

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not sure how the survival aspect would mesh with a society that is well-established and has a stable structure already though. Unless you play as a witch or something and you just replace the zombie sprites with pitchfork-wielding peasants...

I'm talking about Foraging, Traveling, Surviving, Food, Hunting Game etc.etc.

Adventuring in medieval times = the zombies. I.E. You don't need zombies just to add survival elements. The environment itself, traveling from A to B, can be the challenge (just look at NEO Scavenger).

Sure, but it does inevitably change the dynamic of the whole survival angle when the lands you travel are largely stable and civilised. Just knowing that there are plenty of mundane settlements around the world where a mundane daily life is the norm rather does that.

NEO Scavenger may not have zombies, but a post-apocalyptic world offers comparable challenges in a way that medieval history does not. Travel is probably already too safe to be an consistently interesting gameplay experience by the period, unless you're a stranger in Pagan lands or somesuch. Perhaps a point earlier in human history might feel more believable, but I'm not sure how far back it'd want to be.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Going by foot over Europe, even in this day, you could possibly travel for days without meeting any settlements/villages/cities. You'd probably see cars and such due to the age we live in but, remove the cars and most modern transport and you get a fairly barren land with not many people on the road.

In medieval times you could probably travel for weeks without meeting another human being, if you chose to travel (speculation/assumption).

@rjshae: I hope it does! It looks great and I hope it becomes a success.

Edited by Osvir

Could be they're waiting until after PoE is released. There was some whining over the possibility of them launching a KS before the previous one was complete.

Perhaps. Harebrained Schemes, especially after the release of their praised Dragonfall, are now doing very well over at Kickstarter.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Went over and backed it. No idea how I could have missed it.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

So, when directly asked during the Pillars of Eternity Q&A panel on PAX South 2015 whether they have additional ideas for Kickstarter, Obsidian pretty much confirmed with a resounding YES. 

Not that surprising, and certainly leaves me hopeful that something may be announced after Eternity's release.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Perhaps. Harebrained Schemes, especially after the release of their praised Dragonfall, are now doing very well over at Kickstarter.

I can understand companies wanting to milk that particular cow; it's a good way to fund indie gaming and to engage with the player fans. Just as long as they don't start trying to milk the bull... ;)