Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

Zed, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

I want a spiritual successor to the infinity engine games

No. I want a spiritual successor to BG2. Not the same thing.

PoE is a spiritual successor to the IE games, it just follows the IWD2 lead designer's sensibilities (which i disagree with).

The IE games i like their design direction is PST and BG2, and i would love Obsidian to make spiritual successors to those games.

• Like 1

Nope. Do not want.

Agreed.

In general, I think they should try out things that aren't littering the marketspace already or mimicing them - be it mainstream or KS - something less expected and more of broader attempt at exploring what all could be done with cRPG's; what ever that might be in practice. This could probably exclude combat centric ISO/TB-RtWP games too, but... There is a number of those around and upcoming already.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Zed, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

I want a spiritual successor to the infinity engine games

No. I want a spiritual successor to BG2. Not the same thing.

PoE is a spiritual successor to the IE games, it just follows the IWD2 lead designer's sensibilities (which i disagree with).

The IE games i like their design direction is PST and BG2, and i would love Obsidian to make spiritual successors to those games.

Fair enough, and I suppose I agree, although I'm disappointed with PoE as an IE successor. It started out very nicely with the environments and art, but then they slapped annoying (and unnecessary) interface stuff on top of that, as well as a stressful combat system.

Edited by Zed

I think that Monte Cook's other Kickstarter funded game The Strange is a possible contender for a property Obsidian might take on for their next KS.

The-Strange-Planetovore.jpg

It’s an RPG set on Earth, in the modern day. But a few people—a very few people—have discovered how to travel to other places. They call them recursions, and they’re like limited pocket dimensions with their own laws of reality, connected to Earth via a dark energy network beneath the normal matter of the universe. A dangerous, chaotic network they call the Strange.

It's got some definite Planescape overtones to it from what I've read.

His Numenera license is being used by inXile at the moment for Tides (which Avellone is writing for), and it's possible that he's receptive to the idea of The Strange being used similarly.

• Like 3

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I think that Monte Cook's other Kickstarter funded game The Strange is a possible contender for a property Obsidian might take on for their next KS.

The-Strange-Planetovore.jpg

It’s an RPG set on Earth, in the modern day. But a few people—a very few people—have discovered how to travel to other places. They call them recursions, and they’re like limited pocket dimensions with their own laws of reality, connected to Earth via a dark energy network beneath the normal matter of the universe. A dangerous, chaotic network they call the Strange.

It's got some definite Planescape overtones to it from what I've read.

His Numenera license is being used by inXile at the moment for Tides (which Avellone is writing for), and it's possible that he's receptive to the idea of The Strange being used similarly.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to this.  I absolutely love the Numenera system, it's one of the most elegant P&P RPG systems ever, IMHO.  While I kinda like the Numenera setting too, I have to admit that the setting of The Strange sounds better.  By all accounts, The Strange uses essentially the Numenera system with a few modifications.  Of course, we've yet to see how well Numenera will translate to a video game and TToN is still a ways away.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I just want firefly-inspired RPG with tactical combat :(

Not to be pedantic, but what is "Firefly-inspired"?
A Space Western centering on a rag-tag group of dissidents trying to eke out a living in the backwater fringe of galactic civilization whilst trying to stick it to the man when such opportunities arise? Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

But Firefly didn't have much combat.  Mal and his crew were actively trying to avoid combat as much as possible.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Keyrock, on 05 Nov 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:

PoetAndMadman, on 02 Nov 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

But Firefly didn't have much combat.  Mal and his crew were actively trying to avoid combat as much as possible.

Another bonus. The game will be storyfocused, with tactical combat used only where it must.

• Like 2

Keyrock, on 05 Nov 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:

PoetAndMadman, on 02 Nov 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Another bonus. The game will be storyfocused, with tactical combat used only where it must.

In that case, I very much approve.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I have no idea if Obsidian staff will read this, but it would be nice to see some kind of "toolset" developed complete with a game system similar to "Shards Online". Shards Online have a good concept, but I'm not especially keen on their graphical designs and WoW like imagery. 

With Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 getting old and dated, there are a lot of us who would like to see a modernised replacement for that. Building persistent worlds etc for private/public hosted servers. 

There is a "niche" for this kind of thing at the moment.

First of all I would like to see that PoE will be a great game.

When this is achieved (and Obsidian has not made the same mistakes like InXile in Wasteland 2 )

I would like to see a Kickstarter for a Pillars of Eternity 2 or likewise, with better grafics, etc. (new Unity engine).

When this is achieved (and Obsidian has not made the same mistakes like InXile in Wasteland 2 )

I would like to see a Kickstarter for a Pillars of Eternity 2 or likewise, with better grafics, etc. (new Unity engine).

I shall never fund another game by Obsidian while Josh Sawyer is employed there. There is still room for precarious hope, but many of the major design choices directly attributable to Josh Sawyer on PoE are questionable at best. I'm crossing my fingers that they have kept their word in PoE being accommodating to modding. Much can happen between now and May, but I'm not encouraged.

Mr. Magniloquent, on 15 Nov 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

lightblade75, on 14 Nov 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

I shall never fund another game by Obsidian while Josh Sawyer is employed there.

This is overkill. I'm not going to fund another game from Obsidian if Sawyer is the lead designer, since i disagree with half his opinions in what is good gameplay, but i still hope PoE will be a great game (even if it's gameplay won't be my cup of tea) and i will be open to buy future Obsidian games from him, just not fund them since apparently i'm not in his chosen target audience.

But i don't want him to be fired since i consider him a good designer who just happens to has bad taste. As long as he is kept away from the lead position, i don't have a problem since many of his contributions are great. Just don't have him decide the overral direction of the game.

Spy theme or Sci-Fi would be perfect. I think we are getting over saturated in the general fantasy settings. Alpha Protocol was such a cool concept, and the only Sci-Fi theme in the last years was generally ME series, which got worse and worse with each new installment...

Give me somethng in Star Wars, Stargate, Star Trek or Battlestar universe or just come up with some new Sci-Fi IP like Bioware did with ME... I nee some Sci-Fi fixation. I'd prefer explorers thrown into completly new universe even by accident and learning how to survive and esablish their name in the new universe theme than Ancient civilizations and threats

How cool it would be when for example the space ship to Mars would get into some anomaly which would throw it into another galaxy/dimension and the colonists who were to establish a first base beyond Earth, on Mars, were thrown into a situation where they would need to find a proper place for themselves in the new universe as they pop out right into some alien spaceship vicinity or a ruined by a war deserted habitable world, which stil attracts random visitors as it contains valuable techs. I can even help the Obs in designing such a universe ;)

Edited by Darkpriest

After playing New Vegas a lot, I will back a game if Sawyer is lead designer without hesitation.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think Sawyer is a good designer, possibly even a great one but I think we just have a fundamental difference of opinion on some things, balance and magic/wizards specifically. I'd like to see what he can do with another setting where I have less strong feelings about certain particulars like sci-fi or modern day something or other.

I'm still looking forward to PoE even though I may end up playing on easy or cheating just to get the combat over with but that's not poor design as much as it's just not my preference. All my concerns may even turn out to be nothing by the time the game releases but either way I wish Sawyer and Obsidian nothing but success and will once again likely be first in line to back whatever they have planned next

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 5

Free games updated 3/4/21

Putting my support in context a bit:

a) Quite frankly I'm no great fan of the IE games and would have preferred the project be not as clearly derived from it;

b) I'm no fan of fantasy settings in general;

c) I prefer to have a solo player character; and

d) I haven't been following the development specifics at all since the KS campaign closed anyway.

But if a follow-up game is developed using those same parameters I'd still back it without a second thought. Maybe it's irrational, I don't know, but while I might not get the game I want, I'll still get a game worth playing, I don't doubt that. And that's good enough for me.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G