Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

I'd be surprised to see if Obsidian do go back to Kickstarter. I'm wondering if the experience with PoE has made them wary of Kickstarters and they'll be turning to publishers even more now for future games.

Feargus in his latest Matt Chat mentions Kickstarter a lot, even says it's possible they'll kickstart PoE 2

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

With them partnering with paizo and plans for pathfinder style crpgs in the future, als the exapnsion of poe and finishing the touches of poe, the tank mmo they working on....

I think of they did do a kickstarter it would be after poe is released and seeing the response to that, if it does well which i believe it will then they will bid time and do another kickstarter. If poe does badly i believe they will wait awhile before pitching another one.

I am down with a horror filled western, as i can see a lovecraftian horror themed since its open liscense or a bizarre silent hill type theme.....which tbh i think is really the japanese take and version of lovecraftian...bah anyway ill be happy if its got ****ed up **** and cultiests and old gods in it.

Damn playing P.T. got me really feining for another silent hill grrrr

Edited by redneckdevil

It seems dumb to kickstart PE2. It should either succeed or fail on its own now. KS should be used to kickstart NEW properties (or reboot ancient ones like WL2). If PE1 doesn't sell enough to cover a PE2 the product should be deemed a failure and they should move. I'm hoping it is a success (despite certain flaws) but a KS for a sequel to it? Nah.

I hope Obsidian has more decency than that. Thier next KS, imo, should be used to  use of their other new game ideas that publishers may be hisitant on but gamers might be interested in nontheless.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It seems dumb to kickstart PE2. It should either succeed or fail on its own now. KS should be used to kickstart NEW properties (or reboot ancient ones like WL2). If PE1 doesn't sell enough to cover a PE2 the product should be deemed a failure and they should move. I'm hoping it is a success (despite certain flaws) but a KS for a sequel to it? Nah.

I hope Obsidian has more decency than that. Thier next KS, imo, should be used to  use of their other new game ideas that publishers may be hisitant on but gamers might be interested in nontheless.

Yes.

Though I think them seriously discussing it now is just fear towards release.

In much the same way as how, if a developer's pay from their first game that is funded by a publisher isn't enough to self publish the next one, they should deem that game a failure?

First off, the scenarios aren't even since the publisher tends to take a huge chunk of the % from the developer. Those who gave money to Obsidian on KS get none of the profits. Secondly, yeah, if you can't even cover the cost of the game then the game was not successful and a sequel is not worth it unless you like it so much youa re willing to take the hit (ie. a bilionaire can afford to do vanity projects where they'll lose money but they don't care. This happens with certain sports team).

If there isn't enough of an audience for PE there sin't gonna be enough of an audience for PE2.

Of course, I expect PE to be financially successful so there should be no worries.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Could it be a d20-rules sandbox-y open world-thingie with Pillars of Eternity-isometrics, but real 3D this time (sorta like WL2), all made in Unity?

what's WL2? and why Unity?

Wasteland 2. Because it's available for modders too?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's probably unrealistic, but, I hope it's a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol. I wonder if that could work well in the Pillars of Eternity engine.

I believe we don't have any details about it, but let's speculate a bit.

I think this time they will try SciFi or Space Opera setting, I also believe that they will use the Pillars engine, as it will reduce time and money needed for the project.

Do you think it is possible for them to license some property or they will try once again to create their own?

I'm pretty sure that Pillars of eternity uses the Unity engine. ;)

...and I'm wishing that next one will be a unreal engine 4 game ^^, 

Edited by Pendali

Nope, it has nothing to do with D&D. You could make a very similar game to BG2 even if you used GURPS for example.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Josh Sawyer hates Baldur's Gate, but I'll ask Feargus why and see what he says. :)

Prepare for disappointment.

Josh is his employee, and most likely a good friend. 

What you're doing is trying to be an **** for the sale of being an ****. Feargus isn't going to give you any answer that you'll find "correct". He's not going to throw Josh under the bus, or fire him, or whatever. So by even asking this question, you already know the answer, so you're just doing it to be a gigantic ****.

Or you actually think Feargus is going to put Josh in time-out.

• Like 3

I think this time they will try SciFi or Space Opera setting, I also believe that they will use the Pillars engine, as it will reduce time and money needed for the project.

Do you think it is possible for them to license some property or they will try once again to create their own?

I have been betatesting Pillars of Eternity now for about 28 hours and find it fantastic. Its slightly different from other D&D games, but all in all, it have most of the traditional features in it and absolutely all of their qualities. What I like with games going there own ways is they dont have to make the game absolutely streamlined to cater for every single person who might pick up the game. Not everyone likes for example the Baldurs Gate kind of games anymore, but I do, and lats face it: thats one of the reasons I did back that game in the first place; it fits me and my playstyle perfect! So yes, I hope they continue their own way, although I would not look negatively on it if they went for a franchise too, as long they have most of the control over the production part! I like the way Obsidian makes their games, so I hope they continue along that road!

What I wonder though is, would it be possible for Obsidian to go for a Kickstarter MMO. Most MMOs these days have turned patetic. I miss games like Star Wars: Galaxies. That game was on a threshold period of time. It started out as an excellent game which was ruined with its New Game Enhanchments - which became popular among game producers but not neccesarily among the players..

I have been betatesting Pillars of Eternity now for about 28 hours and find it fantastic. Its slightly different from other D&D games, but all in all, it have most of the traditional features in it and absolutely all of their qualities. What I like with games going there own ways is they dont have to make the game absolutely streamlined to cater for every single person who might pick up the game. Not everyone likes for example the Baldurs Gate kind of games anymore, but I do, and lats face it: thats one of the reasons I did back that game in the first place; it fits me and my playstyle perfect! So yes, I hope they continue their own way, although I would not look negatively on it if they went for a franchise too, as long they have most of the control over the production part! I like the way Obsidian makes their games, so I hope they continue along that road!

What I wonder though is, would it be possible for Obsidian to go for a Kickstarter MMO. Most MMOs these days have turned patetic. I miss games like Star Wars: Galaxies. That game was on a threshold period of time. It started out as an excellent game which was ruined with its New Game Enhanchments - which became popular among game producers but not neccesarily among the players..

I think the initial investment for an MMO are probably too large for Kickstarter, unless you get Star Citizen money. You have to put in enough to produce a game that is going to bring in subscribers, plus you need to have money for servers and a dedicated post-release team.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I know I'm late but... are people saying Shadowrung: Dragonfall sucks...? Really?

As for the next Kickstarter... Wheel of Time?
But I'm just a long time reader (like '95 or something) so

I'd kill for an Obsidian-made RPG based on the

series... which is in the works, but could probably

use some more cash.

• Like 1

How about a squad-based Mech game ala-MechCommander, but not in the Battletech world. A brand new IP.

You should have a team of pilots who will improve over time, gain new abilities etc. Have the ability to customize and improve your mechs.

Sign me up for 10 copies right now.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

which is in the works, but could probably

use some more cash.

It isn't. Game is confirmed dead.

Exactly. As long as the Mandragon fellow (or whatever he is called) holds the license you won't see a Wheel of Time movie, tv serie or a damn video game. The guy is a complete hack.

Hate the living, love the dead.