Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

maybe tap the Private Military Company world for a good story set-up. explore the inner workings of a Blackwater-like PMC, get thrust into a plot involving toppled governments, assassinations and high treason!

So Kickstarting a single player RPG that could use the story/assets from the MMO they are working on? Could work.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

That campaign is all buzzwords.

I agree, it has nothing substantial to show, I'm a bit disappointed. I got excited because they kickstarted a game that is almost exactly what I suggested a few pages back  :biggrin:

So Kickstarting a single player RPG that could use the story/assets from the MMO they are working on? Could work.

you mean the tank game?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't know, I hope they go with real-life hardware. I absolutely need a cushioned structure, nappa-trimmed, that allows me to play games, read the forum, drink white russians, nap, watch movies and TV, all at the same time, practically from a supine position. I don't mean a chair, I mean flat on my back, with double monitors and tilted, curved 4K displays, room for 750mL bottles, and an ashtray for e-cigarettes. Maybe a pillow, too, as a backer reward.  

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Don't do too many kickstarters Obsidian cause at some point you gotta have free time to be hired on for Fallout: New Orleans. :D

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The next Kickstarter is going to be a great chance to finally ask Feargus why PoE turned out to be completely different than what we were promised and why they thought it was a good idea to let a guy who hates Baldur's Gate make a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.  :grin:

I've been wondering why, so I'll ask him then. I hope he answers.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Nah, it was just a sugar coating.

I'm going to ask him why PoE doesn't feel like an Infinity Engine game at all. :)

Edited by Helm

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

because it's not based on D&D

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Nope, it has nothing to do with D&D. You could make a very similar game to BG2 even if you used GURPS for example.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Josh Sawyer hates Baldur's Gate, but I'll ask Feargus why and see what he says. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Obsidian still has a Wheel of time license. There were supposed to develop an RPG using that settings but then it disappeared off the radar.

They never had the license. Red Eagle Games had the license and had partnered with Obsidian and EA (IIRC) but couldn't get the funding to do the game (EA was to only distribute).

Then REG decided to take a different tact, partnering with Jet Set Games to make mobile games that didn't pan out after the kickstarter they did only raised $3,000 of the asked for $450,000.

EDIT: early world after the kickstarter was cancelled was that they were going to relaunch it when Jet Set and Red Eagle had more to show of the mobile game than the initial kickstarter did, but its now almost 2 years on and I haven't heard anything else about the project.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Have you played the beta? it is by every definition a spiritual successor to the IE games.

Yes, i have played it and I disagree.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you played the beta? it is by every definition a spiritual successor to the IE games.

You have every right to disagree, even if you are wrong.

The game has nothing to do with any of the Infinity Engine games. Which wouldn't be so bad, if it was actually good, which it isn't. The bugs don't make this game bad, it is the terrible systems design and mechanics.

~~~~~~~~~~~

You have every right to disagree, even if you are wrong.

The game has nothing to do with any of the Infinity Engine games. Which wouldn't be so bad, if it was actually good, which it isn't. The bugs don't make this game bad, it is the terrible systems design and mechanics.

You are right. It has nothing to do with the Infinity Engine games. The only games that have anything to do with the Infinity Engine games are the Infinity Engine games. Pillars of Eternity is a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games. Terrible systems design and mechanics I agree with to some degree. That doesn't make the game less of a spiritual successor.