Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

Yeah over at paizo.com and people talking about it over there. No official word but i think this type of mews might warrent its own thread. I am giddy like a lil girl which is good because ive been mopping all morning at the news of the death to my fav comedian.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=63470&d=1407858544

A Pathfinder cRPG by Obsidian ?

True or fake ?

Gah..... Not in my area of interest.

Not at the moment.

If it's not fake, I hope it'll end up good, but I'm won't be jumping up and down for this.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Maybe because Pen&Paper already comes with fans and buyers. And it comes with a system that way playtested for 100 000+ hours. It comes with pregenerated lore and monster design that only needs to be modeled and animated. 

Writers don't need to waste time coming up with world and area design and can only come up with story and NPCs. 

It will also scratch the itch of every D&D fan out there that had been waiting for the next good singleplayer D&D game (Pathfinder is basically D&D 3.75). 

It comes with pregenerated lore and monster design that only needs to be modeled and animated. 

Writers don't need to waste time coming up with world and area design and can only come up with story and NPCs. 

Modeled, animated, rigged, written for, programmed.

And not come up with area design? I guess the level designers can go home then. 

Not to be snarky (it's early over here), but this is a completely simplistic view.

• Like 1

can we stop posting in this thread about the Pathfinder game(s), please? don't force me to unsubscribe  :cat:

we have a dedicated thread for discussing the latest rumor:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66652-pathfinder-crpg-by-obsidian/

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I hope not. It was ok to play it safe for the first time and that is why we are getting Pillars of Eternity. But for the second kickstarter I expect them to man up an try something more unusual. Like inExile with Torment.  

Asking the internet for help funding the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment was risky?

Are you high, good sir?

The Torment kickstarter wasn't a success because of the Numenera setting, it was a success because Planescape: Torment built up such a cult following over the years. It's no different from Wasteland 2's success (based on Fallout's legacy) and Pillars of Eternity's success (based on Baldur's Gate's legacy), with the additional advantage of being able to use the same title of 'Torment'. Whether or not an unconventional new IP can succeed on Kickstarter has yet to be proven.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

As it turned out, no it wasn´t. That it is why I hope Obsidian will try to get money for similar, well known IP, that is NOT generic fantasy D&D rip-off.

Some would say having a world where generic fantasy races are mixed with primarily new races is more creative than not.

Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera, where all such high success mostly because of the people that run those campaigns. Of course nostalgia from games that those people had done in the past helped, but if it would had been some other people that said they want to do successors for those games, then I am pretty sure that campaigns wouldn't seen similar success.

As it turned out, no it wasn´t. That it is why I hope Obsidian will try to get money for similar, well known IP, that is NOT generic fantasy D&D rip-off.

Some would say having a world where generic fantasy races are mixed with primarily new races is more creative than not.

Eora and Numenera have very different goals as settings. Eora is settings that tries to give you feeling of familiarity, but same time offering new things to discover and change perspective in some old views, where Numenera tries to change very familiar setting (Earth) to alien world where you find something strange and intriguing from every corner you look at. Both settings need lots of creativity and brilliant writing to actually work and both have their strengths and weaknesses when you try to sell them to people.

• Like 2

Something evil-friendly where you can do truly monstrous things like NWN2:MotB. Man playing with One-Of-Many was fun. Remember sending an entire family the wrong way so they'd get eaten by a tribe of savages? And then going back, slaying the entire tribe of savages (including the children) and dancing on remains of the family there? That was fun. I can't do that in real life.

Edited by Zeckul

Remember sending an entire family the wrong way so they'd get eaten by a tribe of savages? And then going back, slaying the entire tribe of savages (including the children) and dancing on remains of the family there? That was fun. I can't do that in real life.

You frighten me.

• Like 3

Next Obsidian Kickstarter?

I woud absolutly love to see them making some kind of "spiritual sucessor" to Neverwinter Nights.   Yeah, the history was kind of bad on NWN, but the Aurora Tools released with them gave birth to a lot of user created content, some of it with very high quality. Of course the D&D license helped that, as a lot of persisten worlds based on D&D settings were created, but something original might find his place too.

• Like 2

I believe we don't have any details about it, but let's speculate a bit.

I think this time they will try SciFi or Space Opera setting, I also believe that they will use the Pillars engine, as it will reduce time and money needed for the project.

Do you think it is possible for them to license some property or they will try once again to create their own?

You have my vote for SciFi or Space Opera. I'm in the middle of a Dune / Starship Troopers reading-kick, and I would love to see something to that effect. 

Since the Eternal Darkness reboot seems to be stalled, I'll go ahead and say I would love to see an Eternal Darkness nod in the Infinity engine. Doesn't have to use the same mechanics or even imitate the gameplay, but really anything exploring Lovecraft's mythos would be dope, so to speak. 

Remember sending an entire family the wrong way so they'd get eaten by a tribe of savages? And then going back, slaying the entire tribe of savages (including the children) and dancing on remains of the family there? That was fun. I can't do that in real life.

You frighten me.

Amused response: lol.

Serious response: I didn't specify it, but I did mean that I can't do it because it's actually morally wrong and not simply because it would get me into trouble or something. If playing evil in RPGs doesn't entail finding enjoyment in pretend immorality then I don't see what's the point. 

Edited by Zeckul

(I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems like we're just shooting out ideas for what we'd like to see Obsidian's next crowdfunding project be.)

First off, if Pillars of Eternity hasn't released officially when the campaign is launched, I'd expect much less funding. If it has released and wasn't literally all things to all people, I think a comparable total is the best they could possibly do. I know a bunch of Obsidian's guys have great reputations and we all love their work (or we wouldn't be here,) but you have to admit most of the hysteria has died down around Kickstarter. They'd get less media coverage, less hype, and people have blown their gaming budgets on all kinds of things lately. Really strong PR and a compelling premise could help, but I would expect more than $4 million at best.

I'd like to see something fairly divorced from the swords-and-sandels fantasy RPG epic. That itch will be scratched by Divinity (when I get around to it,) Pillars of Eternity, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'd back it, but I'd be happier with something new. The Baldur's Gate glory days are over, and many people are doing reasonable jobs (presumably) of reliving them, but for now it's time to move on and innovate. RPG's don't have to be about killing orcs and dragons with dice exclusively and forever.

I think my dream Obsidian game would be a grimy, greasy, Film Noir-style steampunk game. Maybe something (isometric, obviously) like Dishonoured asthetically, but a primarally dialogue-driven RPG mystery. That would be neat.

I think my second choice would be a pre-Mass Effect world space opera in the style of Nielson or Asimov.

Third choice would be full-blown Lovecraftian horror with X-files influences. Man, I was stoked when I first saw Bioware's marketing for Shadow Realms...

• Like 1