Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

Yes, of course they can, but the Star Wars license is in EA's hands and so is, I believe, Dune's license (it hasn't been used by EA for a while, so I'm not certain about that).

EA has no business doing anything with Kickstarter. (They could do a Kickstarter yes, but that would be absolutely scummy.)

Kickstarting a game for the Star Wars universe, one of the biggest and most lucrative properties on the planet, would be wretched.

And I know that licenses have been used with KS before, such as with Numanera.

That IP however wasn't in the hands of some large publisher that could easily fund a game themselves, which are the sorts of licenses I was more specifically thinking of, and that come up in this thread quite a bit.

I am aware of Feargus saying that he was thinking of doing a game with an established IP, but it sounded a bit up-in-the-air:

“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

If they do decide to go that route I'll be slightly disappointed, but I've enjoyed their takes on established properties before and I hope they choose a good property to work on.

I personally think that brand-new IPs that Obsidian is free to do with as they wish is the best way to go.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

And I know that licenses have been used with KS before, such as with Numanera.

That IP however wasn't in the hands of some large publisher that could easily fund a game themselves, which are the sorts of licenses I was more specifically thinking of, and that come up in this thread quite a bit.

Microsoft also a big publisher owns the shadowrun video game license. Imo if you use a license from a large publisher, it should be an old license, that wasn't used for a game in a long time and where the risk for the publisher is too high to make a new game.

Personally I have no problem with an established IP. What I would like for the new game are unique classes(or if the game is without classes: skills) and different races.

"Doggone it, Dagon" - the comedy Lovecraftian RPG.

• Play as an Elder God, summoned to earth in a weak and vulnerable state, guiding them as he or she tries to solidify their hold in the material plane! (Do these cult robes make me look fat?)
  • Fight well meaning (but you know, obviously misguided) mortals trying to stop you from dominating the world!
  • Gather your worshipers! (I am an Elder God Prince, and unfortunately my money is tied up outside of space-time. I am willing to share this money with you if you allow me to transfer my funds directly to your account.  Please follow these directions...)
  • Change the course of your worshiper's lives! (...Mi-Go Cylinders are ALL THE RAGE in Paris this year!  Trust me!)
  • Romance all of your companions! (Is it just me, or do you have that "Innsmouth look"? :brows: ).
  • And in the end, fight your fellow Elder Gods who have come to Earth with plans of their own! (I have had it with mother****ing Yig on this mother****ing plane)

:biggrin:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well if they keep current engine (which I hope so) I would like to either see Vampires (licensed) or completely new sci-fy IP. Not fan of gangsters rpg or even western one

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Current word is " Winter 2014". Don't think they've been more specific than that (probably wouldn't want to be, until the Beta starts going anyhow)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm hoping their next project is 3D and not more of this 2D nonsense. Fallout: New Vegas showed what Obsidian can do. I want more of that.

Personally I would love a more Stalker:ish setting. Best atmosphere of any game ever.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So, since it may very well be a licensed game that Obsidian are Kickstarting I was thinking of some stuff they might consider for a crpg.

It wouldn't be too big of a property, so no Star Wars, DnD, LotR etc, but it might be something slightly smaller, like inXile getting Numenera for Torment.
Then I remembered that Chris Avellone and George Zeits both wrote a sourcebook for a little PnP game that got Kickstarted called Accursed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1231173913/accursed-rpg

e35a0911d41d459ba60226d7cfe00c97_large.j

Here's the post confirming they'd be writing the sourcebook:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1231173913/accursed-rpg/posts/628028
This is Avellone's first PnP thing he's written in over fifteen years.

Zeits had this to say:  https://twitter.com/gziets/status/388848492065472512

By the way, @AccursedRPG would make a pretty sweet setting for a CRPG. Just saying... :)

To which Accursed responded:

@gzeits We are SO COMPLETELY open to discussions on that. :)

Now I know that Zeits is no longer a part of Obsidian, as I understand he's full-time with inXile these days, but it's possible that he and Avellone opened a dialogue with the Accursed people about the possibility of a crpg whilst they were interacting.

If you looks at the description of the gameworld on the Kickstarter page it describes it thusly:

In a world of dark fantasy and perilous adventure, the forces of evil have triumphed. Those who remain uncorrupted by wickedness must rely upon monsters to fight against the darkness.

This is somewhat similar to a pitch Avellone made for a game quite a while back that he called Defiance at the time, and it might be another reason he'd be drawn to such a project.

Anyhow, that's my thought on which license they might use if they go that route.

It might be tenuous, but it's the best I could think of.

• Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Ok seeing how Josh loves history and has stated his love for history quite a bit.....could a Call of Cthulhu be outta the question?

Won't be Call of Cthulhu since that's trademarked.

Call of the Generic Lovecraftian Sea Horror

... that's really what I should have called my game.

Thanks a lot, guy.

Ok seeing how Josh loves history and has stated his love for history quite a bit.....could a Call of Cthulhu be outta the question?

Won't be Call of Cthulhu since that's trademarked.

Call of the Generic Lovecraftian Sea Horror

... that's really what I should have called my game.

Thanks a lot, guy.

He is not your guy, buddy!

Personally I would be happy with anything Obsidian wants to work on as long as it's not traditional fantasy which I doubt they would make.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm hoping their next project is 3D and not more of this 2D nonsense. Fallout: New Vegas showed what Obsidian can do. I want more of that.

I agree 100%

NV is their best game in my opinion and is what I would expect from Obsidian in the future.

although, I don't want anything post-apocalyptic. so no Stalker knock-offs for me. I'd much rather have a FPS set in modern times, something similar to the latest Deus Ex: politics and corporations, industrial espionage, or maybe something set in a war zone.

maybe tap the Private Military Company world for a good story set-up. explore the inner workings of a Blackwater-like PMC, get thrust into a plot involving toppled governments, assassinations and high treason! 

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Dammit i want a game in london in the 1800s and we encounter alot of real life legends (jack the ripper) and fantasy legends (dr hyde, spring heeled jack, etc) and all to find out they are manifistations of tiny bubbles of madness seeping through because cultists are....wait for it.....trying to awaken Cthuhlu!! Or better they could all be spawns of Yog-Sothoth and an evil cult is trying to breed more abominations for their Old god. Even throw in the atmosphere of the industrial age (or whatever its called...i havent had my coffee yet dont judge me!!!). Damn im imagining a vision of business men and nobles with powdered pistols and swords in a era when everythings pushing towards industry and all mired with occult and abominations and old gods....what a sight. Screw cthulhu, the game industry needs to behold Yog-Sothoth!!

Yes i want to see them do something with Cthulhu or even better Yog-Sothoth.

Damn now i want to do this in a table top game, mmm i wonder which system be best for it..need coffee....brew faster dammit!

Edited by redneckdevil