sooo.....what do people in Eora do for entertainment?

Do they play football? Polo? Quidditch? Do they all go to the king's tournaments? Jousting? May fairs?

Or are all the plebs/serfs busy trying to stay alive?

It'll be nice to know a little about how the daily lives of nobles/plebs goes.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I guess typical medieval entertainments, like festivals, jesters, maypoles and playgrounds, hunting, archery contest, magical equivalent of shooting range, drinking in bars, dancing, and narcotics for souls maybe.

Edited by exodiark

They shoot up speedball and hit up strip clubs.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

^A combo of chess and combat using live knights as pieces.  (Not live Queens though, that'd get expensive)

Xaurip baiting

Orlan tossing

Listening to the Aumaua acapela group

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I wonder if there is any equivalent to chess in this world.

I think if you explore thoroughly, you're bound to find a treasure chess or two. 6_u

This is interesting, though. It's something that sometimes gets neglected in a fantasy RPG world. I mean, the generic stuff's usually in. But, I guess otherwise it's just assumed everyone's too busy being a peasant and shoveling poop. Or being drunken, well-fed, and corrupt. Or magical... Haha.

Kinda makes me think of all those elaborate card games and such from the Final Fantasy games (after 7, I think). There were multiple card games, I think, (8 and 9?), then there was Blitzball, which was actually kinda fun.

Annnywho... No need for minigames, necessary. It would just be nice if there was some Eoran pastime. 8P

Or, you know... various culturian (that's a new word -- I want royalties u_u) pastimes. Especially unique stuff for the non-human races.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

when you are poor, you mostly make babies - true story

• Like 5

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well there's Orlan tossing...

Stuffing Orlans in a small barrel and rolling them down a hill...

Trolling for Trolls with Orlan pinatas...

Bobbing for Orlans...

Orlan juggling...

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

There was a book I read about 18th-19th century Russian culture. It had a section on serfs, who as you can probably imagine didn't live the most stimulating lives.

The thing I most remember about that section was that 'entertainment' among serfs tended to amount to a few things:

1) Sex. If you've got a wife or husband, then hey, why not? Its free. Theoretically.

2) Violence. Holy crap, the violence. You could find plenty of amusement in beating the crap out of someone, be it your wife or your neighbor or your children or the whole village getting together and beating the hell out of each other. Serfs could be some violent people. 

3) Alcohol. Of course. 

I don't expect it was much different for peasants and other dirt-poor people in the middle ages and early renaissance. 

What I'm saying is I will be disappointed if we meet a peasant in PoE who doesn't spend the 30 minutes a day he isn't farming alternating between getting drunk, beating his wife and screwing. 

• Like 3

Didn't Mr Sawyer mention a mildly narcotic substance being smoked by mercenaries in one of his updates, I think it began with an "f." It would be nice to see the various cultural aspects and peculiarities of both Glenfathan and Dyrwoodan civilisations, personally I thought that this was one of the high points of King of Dragon Pass, the Orlanthi were brought to life with a wholly different culture and approach to situations. Refreshing.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Didn't Mr Sawyer mention a mildly narcotic substance being smoked by mercenaries in one of his updates, I think it began with an "f." It would be nice to see the various cultural aspects and peculiarities of both Glenfathan and Dyrwoodan civilisations, personally I thought that this was one of the high points of King of Dragon Pass, the Orlanthi were brought to life with a wholly different culture and approach to situations. Refreshing.

Yep. Seeing stuff like this show up is when you know the designers are going above and beyond the call of duty in terms of world building. Given how much effort seems to have been expended in making the rest of the world feel believable, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find at least one of the writers has sat down and considered just what everyday life the various cultures of Eora is like, including entertainment. 

• Like 1

Actually, it starts with "s."

svef - Svef is the Aedyran name for a potent narcotic produced from the berries of small shrub that grows in the dry, distant mountains of Tal Kness. Svef produces hallucinations and, according to some, allows users to actually see their own soul. The narcotic was introduced to the Aedyr long ago, but it is used more frequently in the Dyrwood due to its heavy trafficking by Vailian merchants.

To me, this sounds like modern economic approach than being cultural-if it were implemented in Gloranthan setting, it could be used for religious rituals (for example, calling spirits in special occasions, something equivalent to Halloween, which itself considered as Celtic origin-some of inspirations for Oranthi).  Then again, considering the existence of various cultures in PoE, I wouldn't be surprised if these cultures see various uses for such material.

BTW, while I admit trollball is rather over-the-top, the biology of trolls and trollkin settings were well-done, IMO.

Edited by Wombat
  • Like 1

Which makes perfect sense, because new humans don't cost anything at all! 8D

Haha. I know it's true, and I know why it happens, but it's really silly when you think about it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find at least one of the writers has sat down and considered just what everyday life the various cultures of Eora is like, including entertainment.

Or went out and LARP'd it. You know... if they're superlatively hardcore. :)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Increased childbirth was also popular because of extremely high infant mortality rates which existed until quite recently in our own world, and no doubt given the world of Poe's healthcare situation still exists.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Do they play football? Polo? Quidditch? Do they all go to the king's tournaments? Jousting? May fairs?

The world's universally renowned game, Cùjū (pronunciation: tsu-jee, neutral first syllable, high-rising tone on the second syllable,) of course.

Also, have you ever heard of booze, gambling or prostitution?

Edited by AGX-17

The world's universally renowned game, Cùjū (pronunciation: tsu-jee, neutral first syllable, high-rising tone on the second syllable,) of course.

Also, have you ever heard of booze, gambling or prostitution?

I do, these are one of my favourite spare time activities + computer games :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I hope there is a rich story telling tradition in PoE.

I love campfire tales, communal storytelling (now it's your turn!) and stages in the tavern where every night is open mic night, as it were.

It's a great way to learn lore, provide an opportunity to reduce the pacing somewhat. (though you can just ignore the show if you're the kind of player who doesn't care) and just to enrich the world.

Probably not a good idea in a game with little to no voice-over, but one can dream, right?

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Probably not a good idea in a game with little to no voice-over, but one can dream, right?

Psshhh... Every line experienced in my playthrough is going to have a voice over it. Just... not one put there by the dev team. :)

What...? It's fun giving the jackhole characters pompous-guy voices.

Seriously, though... story-telling having a high presence in the game would be pretty awesome. That'd be a much better way to deliver lore than "everyone who knows anything about anything is just a tiny encyclopedia."

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3