I have a nine year old yellow lab named Lilly (no pics here at work). Shes a big fat fatty because I spoil her rotten and constantly feed her whatever Im eating (chips, avocado, sammich meat, etc...) Come to think of it, the only thing she doesn't eat is lettuce, which she hilariously spits out. She is hella smart too.

• Like 4

This is crazy good timing, since we are getting a dog on Saturday.  We are getting a smooth collie that is about a year old from a friend who raises them.  I've been working in the backyard trying to figure out how to handle containment when we are gone, and I've settled on buying a 10' by 6' dog run.  He'll sleep in the house with us at night.  I'll have to do some training, I'm guessing, although I know he's already started with our friend.  

I've also been looking at those igloo houses and other ways to keep him happy.  The dog run is going to be in some good shade, and I'm thinking about putting a roof over it.

• Like 2

"A home is not complete without a dog slumbering by your feet."

Can't quite remember whom that should be attributed to, but i've always agreed with it. My English Mastiff Canthus is the loyalist, gentlest creature ever to grace our green and pleasant land, and despite weighing in at fifteen stones now still sees himself as a lap dog.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dachshunds make great pets. Even if they are stubborn

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't have time to properly care for a dog right now, but I grew up with a few, including a Beagle/Dachshund mix who was perfectly sweet to humans and a perfect terror to raccoons... none of which ever looked behind to see the tiny weinerbeagle chasing them up trees and/or out of the yard.

I haven't scanned any of the few old photos of that dear old dog, so here's someone else's happy 'hund:

anigif_enhanced-12610-1405447168-14.gif

• Like 1

82fdhYS.jpg
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I used to own a pudle. Temperamental little balls of fury. Incredibly smart.

At 16 he was still spry and lively. Got attacked by a huge dog that bit part of it's back off. He survived and moved on like nothing happened.

Till an inoperable brain tumor hit. The little fella was tough as nails, the vet had to give him two injection. He couldn't believe it, as a single one should have downed a far larger dog. I miss him...

I love dogs.

Every time I see one I have an urge to pet him.

That's why every single dog in my town knows me. I'm something of a local dog whisperer.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

• 1 month later...

turn down your sound and watch this dog play pool

All mine does is lick butthole and beg for food

we were raised on a ranch with border collies that were likely smarter than the typical american middle-school kid. even so, that video is... well, describing it wouldn't do it justice. thanks for the link.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 months later...

Obviously probably won't ever happen, but if I did get a dog, it'd be some type/variation of the well known golden retriever. Because,  y'know, they're adorable.

31129040_212985e07c.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Here are my babies, Tommy & Sunny Smiles:

post-10997-0-40107600-1418302319_thumb.jpg

post-10997-0-22659200-1418302380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Cats and dogs supposedly get allong fine if you get puppies/kittens

Yup...tis true.

Dogs, however, require daily walking/good outdoor exercise. Not my thing. Nor poop-bag carrying around suburbia. I like indoor-only pets.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Here are my babies, Tommy & Sunny Smiles:

Tommy.jpg

Sunny.jpg

That's exactly how I imagined  your dogs would look, big and friendly 8)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela