Now all characters start with 4 weapon sets (it was 2 before) accessible in combat? What about the previously mentioned talents that increase the number of available weapon sets?

I suppose it's possible it was just for the demo or the character had these talents. 

In my understanding talent system isn't yet fully ready and I would guess that they don't limit number of weapon sets in demo build because it make easier test and show things in it's limited scope.

I'm not sure why limiting the number of weapon sets to 2 by default would be desirable. Especially if you're going to offer more with Talents. Weapon presets are mostly a player convenience, right? To use up character resources for UI convenience seems a little off to me. (Or can you only change between preset weapon sets during combat? I know you can't change armor, but perhaps the entire inventory is off-limits during combat. Hmm.) I imagine I'd want to deck out most characters with at least 3 presets - 2 melee and 1 ranged. (For melee, pick two : Fast / Slow / Defense)

I can see how expecting everyone to be capable of switching between 4 different weapon sets easily and quickly is kinda ridiculous, and that someone who can do this should be considered special in some way - but if you want to simulate this, simply make switching to the 3rd or 4th preset have a longer cooldown before you can attack again. Then you can have a Talent that reduces weapon set switching time penalties across the board.

I'm not sure why limiting the number of weapon sets to 2 by default would be desirable. Especially if you're going to offer more with Talents. Weapon presets are mostly a player convenience, right? To use up character resources for UI convenience seems a little off to me. (Or can you only change between preset weapon sets during combat? I know you can't change armor, but perhaps the entire inventory is off-limits during combat. Hmm.) 

This is not about UI convenience. Weapon sets allow players to switch weapons during combat to get a valuable tactical advantage, too valuable to cover 4 scenarios by default. That's the entire point, yes. 

This is not about UI convenience. Weapon sets allow players to switch weapons during combat to get a valuable tactical advantage, too valuable to cover 4 scenarios by default. That's the entire point, yes. 

Eh, it's a little about UI convenience if you're going to change the loadout of those two weapon sets a lot between combats. (Which you're much less likely to do when you have 4.) But I see the point now. Strategic versus Tactical choices. Sure. 

Considering the way weaknesses/resistances are set up, it makes sense to go for making do with what you've got versus (almost) always having the best tool for the job available.

I'd probably still prefer more weapon sets by default, but I can understand the reasoning. Guess Beta will convince me one way or the other?

Well, another question is: Do the weapon sets actually serve as inventory space, or do they simply serve as shortcuts to weapons you're already carrying? If you can store 8 weapons in your weapon set slots, then fill the rest of your inventory with other weapons and such, then that's a much bigger issue than if they're simply equip macros.

I mean, I would assume they're like shortcuts/macros. Otherwise, you'd have to have TWO shields in order to have set 1 be, say, a sword and shield, and have set 2 be an axe and (the same) shield. So, in that case, 4 sets isn't nearly that crazy. If you were carrying a sword, a dagger, an axe, and a shield, you could fill all 4 sets (Sword-dagger, sword-axe, sword-shield, axe-shield.)

Basically, if you're still limited by what you can carry (aside from the infinite stash that isn't accessible for weapon-swapping), the weapon sets really do just become a UI convenience. They're only a convenient collection of "equip this and this" commands, and don't really govern how many things you can carry or equip at any given time.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I wonder if there will be feats that reduce weapon switch timeout that you could take.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

but only for smaller weapon types

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd say for any, really. Give or take some specific tweaking. The ability to swap to a different weapon without having to wait 2 seconds to attack isn't spectacularly "powerful," really, especially when compared to anything else you could've chosen in that trait's stead.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say for any, really. Give or take some specific tweaking. The ability to swap to a different weapon without having to wait 2 seconds to attack isn't spectacularly "powerful," really, especially when compared to anything else you could've chosen in that trait's stead.

Indeed, it's useful, but not really all-powerful, so should universal.

And by the way - group weapon swap would sure come in handy in that ogre fight. ;)

The ability to swap to a different weapon without having to wait 2 seconds to attack isn't spectacularly "powerful," 

Specifically because it's just 2 seconds. If it was 4 seconds (an appropriate penalty for swapping, I'd say), the talent would be quite powerful.

• Like 1

^ True. Also, though... do we know if there's a delay between swapping back? Especially with such a feat in place, it would be really silly to just insta-swap back and forth between a bow and a sword 17 times in 1 second.

Even at 4 seconds, though, that's 4 seconds saved whenever you swap weapons, as compared to whatever else you could've chosen as a feat. That, and you still have combat delays. Just not from the act of weapon-swapping. That's why I think that it's really, really nice, but not really OP or anything. You can swap weapons all day long, but you can still only attack so quickly, and you still have recovery time between attacks, etc. *shrug*