What are you playing now?

MMO : The Elder Scrolls Online and The Secret World and just began peeking back in The Lord of The Rings Online after some year off.

Solo : Clockwork Empires, Divinity Original Sin, Grim Dawn and Mass Effect 3

to do : massive amount of indies and Steam sale loot :-)

Yeah I got my money's worth from Rogue Legacy but wouldn't 'recommend' it as such. In the end I think I played it a few hours too many because of the MMO grinding thing (oh look I can upgrade this 15/25 bonus to a 16/25!), and in hindsight I do rate it a bit lower because of that pointless granularity. I was not overly keen on how it felt kinaesthetically either, the sense of motion and momentum didn't feel very solid at all compared to a "AAA" platformer like Mario or Rayman.

Bruce, I'm talking about media in general, but have never played any of the Far Cry games (and never intend to). But the aim is finding that sweet spot between not-even-close and genuine that's the most amusing, an almost sort of uncanny valley for voices. But then again, that is a real thing for people like Nicole Kidman, whose voice is pretty much the definition of that nowadays (and many would say her face as well :p).

Aaaanyway, tried out Unrest for an hour or so today. Mainly just soaking up the background information presented and not making any really notably "rocking the boat" type choices. In hindsight perhaps I should have tried to mix it up a little (playing Ironman mode of course), but I guess it's natural to try to play the first playthrough in the most common "what would an ancient Indian person do in this situation?" kind of direction. It's meant to be a short game that you play through multiple times so I wouldn't say I'm losing out in that regard. I will say however that it's probably the least powerful an RPG has ever made me feel, the polar opposite of the typical power fantasy. Forget being beaten up by rats, this game illustrates what it is to be genuinely powerless, in a wholly earnest manner.

A caveat to all that is that I've been hanging around the Twenty Sided and Chocolate Hammer communities where the main writer of the game is active for a few years now as an active member, so I can't really give an unbiased critique - backing the game in the first place to the extent that I did was initially done as a favour and as appreciation for his previous content as much as anything.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Saw a film advertised on the side of a bus this morning called "Begin Again." Two minutes later realised I was humming the song of the same name sung by Vera Keyes in the Dead Money dlc for New Vegas, just when I thought i'd left the desolate depths of the Mojave, the bright lights of the Strip pull me back in. The hard thing is most certainly letting go.

Think i'll try my hand at melee this time, i've heard some of the Gunrunner's stock is rather effective.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm enjoying Far Cry 2, I have got use to the driving as it is a little awkward in the beginning. I also find it very entertaining to see most of the mercenaries you fight are basically South Africans or Australians, I like hearing the accents :)

I've never played FC2, but I really hope your not enjoying those awful fake aussie accents that are often used in games and television.

As an Australian, I love fake Australian accents in media. :ninja:

I am enjoying the accents but I'm not sure how accurate the Australian accents are?

Have you played Dead Island? If they sound anything like that, they are bad, very bad.

Truth be told accents can be hard to recognize in cases, for example on different occasions I've been told my accent is, Dutch, South African and English.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I'm enjoying Far Cry 2, I have got use to the driving as it is a little awkward in the beginning. I also find it very entertaining to see most of the mercenaries you fight are basically South Africans or Australians, I like hearing the accents :)

I've never played FC2, but I really hope your not enjoying those awful fake aussie accents that are often used in games and television.

I am enjoying the accents but I'm not sure how accurate the Australian accents are?

Have you played Dead Island? If they sound anything like that, they are bad, very bad.

Truth be told accents can be hard to recognize in cases, for example on different occasions I've been told my accent is, Dutch, South African and English.

Yeah same as me, Americans generally always get me wrong. They think I sound Irish or Australian

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just finished Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for the Xbox one.  Really enjoyed it.  Tried Fallout: New Vegas but it keeps crashing - sad because I could tell I would love it!  Might boot up Dragon Age 1 and 2 in prep for Inquisition in November.  And I still have my tried and true mmo Lotro; I play mainly for the world and story and the latest Update: Paths of the Dead nailed it. 

I'm interested in this one when it makes it to the PC.

I wish there were some hints about that already,since it makes me want to have ps4 right now. :o Because it looks like something i really would  want to play with friends for a quite a while.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Hmm, I'm getting flashbacks to Deus Ex (1) with its token Australian eksent that was perhaps the most awful attempt in the history of gaming. "Thanks for getting me in", sure lady, now shut up, please. It's like the VA listened to Kath and Kim as a baseline then took it up to 200% to make it more 'authentic'.

• Like 1

Since my weekend starts today I went and drank a bit too much (more than a pint of whiskey,) ended up playing Skyrim and *shudder* enjoying it. With ample mods, of course. Who wouldn't regret a one-night stand with vanilla Skrim?

More shameful than alcoholism, I agree.

Gears of War 3 still.  I'm actually surprised at how much fun I'm having with this series.  When they first came out, I just didn't understand the hype.  Maybe it's because there were more RPGs out at the time and that was my go-to genre, whereas now there's literally nothing for me to play RPG-wise, so GoW is interesting me as a time killer.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Currently playing Divinity Original Sin, i've had it since beta and first now playing the full game and i love it, good to see a kickstarter done right and that they delivered what they promised.

And after the few hours that are left i will go on to Shovel Knight, i look forward to that one.

Edited by Chr1s

Infamous: Second Son. This is one of the greatest looking games I have ever played. The gameplay one the other hand is not that different from Infamous 1 or 2. Still enjoyable though.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Guest Slinky

Skyrim. Happily crawled out of some dungeon back to the sunlight carrying as much loot as I could when I got that feeling... Didn't really hear anything, but something stopped me. Listened for a while and looked around, nothing. "Meh, just the wind" and jumped on my horse.

Just as I was looking down on something this huge, dragon shaped shadow glided right over me and about second later the barbeque was turned on with me being the main course. I wish I've had the ninja reflexes to take a screen shot when the shadow passed, it looked really awesome as I was on the horse in third person and the shadow was right over me filling most of the screen!

I'm not the greatest fan of dragons in general as I feel they are just as generic in fantasy as wizards with ponted hats, but that was a pretty cool moment.

After finishing PS:T I decided to keep it moving with the IE games.  Now I'm a paladin on the road to the Friendly Arm Inn in my first ever playthrough of BG.  Did a Detect Evil on these two dudes who were just standing there on the road because the dude I met before that said they were suspicious-looking.  Came up positive, Imoen and I killed them (RPing paladins is so much fun), and we took their stuff.  I Google their names, just to see what their function was, and it turns out they're practically the first two guys I can recruit to my party.

I already love this game.

• Like 3

I'm now at 27 beaten games this year. Completed Rayman Origins today. The goal was 2-3 beaten games per month to reduce the backlog. I'm almost at 4 per month but the backlog keeps piling up. First world problems.

• Like 1

"Came up positive, Imoen and I killed them (RPing paladins is so much fun), and we took their stuff. "

More like Fallen Paladins. I'm sorry, but people who play Paladins like not aren't real paladins. As a DM, I'd have made you lose your standing as a paladin.

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.