Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #82: Creatures

Creatures Xaurip Vithrack Blight Backer Beta Updates Documentary

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't the all fire,water, earth, air thing done with? I'd like to see more originality than that at least <.<

No, what's done with is using the five Chinese elements for the sole purpose of not using the occidental four elements.

What game has used the Chinese elements? I can't say I've ever seen Wu Xing in game form (Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal) and often wondered how it could be used as opposed to the classic elements (fire, earth, water, air) or what typically shows up in games - fire, earth, water, air, light/life, dark/anti-life. Which I guess if you added time/universe to it would be closest to the seven chakras...

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't the all fire,water, earth, air thing done with? I'd like to see more originality than that at least <.<

No, what's done with is using the five Chinese elements for the sole purpose of not using the occidental four elements. 

I mean, seriously, the concept of the four classical elements arose at least about 4000 years ago. When did it get old, last year? "Oh man, 'earth, water, fire and air' ... that's soooo 2000 BC!"

There's a lot of jaded players in these forums. But there's always new blood coming up for whom concepts such as Hermeticism are not old and worn.

mudd1

mudd1

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What game has used the Chinese elements? I can't say I've ever seen Wu Xing in game form (Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal) and often wondered how it could be used as opposed to the classic elements (fire, earth, water, air) or what typically shows up in games - fire, earth, water, air, light/life, dark/anti-life. Which I guess if you added time/universe to it would be closest to the seven chakras...

I think there was a collection of such games in the Project 行 thread of this year's Amnesia Fortnight. However, I currently can't access that thread in the Double Fine forums for some reason.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8891 posts

Prince of Qin

lemonrev

lemonrev

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think I shall wait till the next topic has been updated in the fourms to make a comment, But I like how the elemental enemys have no format to them but what they are at the core.

Niccolado

Niccolado

Niccolado of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Love em!! Truly. But...the Vithrack, a wonderful monster really, .. I am not sure, does they not seem a little too puny/weak for such powerful monsters? Maybe it looks so to me since they look so slim on the pics..

Bah. Ignore me. Im sure they will be most wonderful in the game! :)

Edited by Niccolado, 15 July 2014 - 04:46 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Prince of Qin

Well to be fair, Prince of Qin was made by a Chinese developer about the final years of the Qin Dynasty as I recall, so it'd make sense for it to use the Chinese elements...
  • mudd1 and Aelysia like this

ashtonw

ashtonw

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Love em!! Truly. But...the Vithrack, a wonderful monster really, .. I am not sure, does they not seem a little too puny/weak for such powerful monsters? Maybe it looks so to me since they look so slim on the pics..

Personally with their big, shiny eyes, I find them kind of cute. I'm just not intimidated by spider-headed people. 

Boozie

Boozie

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Looking forward to seeing the beta.

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

On a totally different, but related note, are we not long overdue for another update?  Or was that stuff released to the magazines considered an update?

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They said they would be doing updates more infrequently for the next few weeks.  Its the run up to Beta.

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Heh- right.  And, of course, the day that I asked this is the day they do another update... :l

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Creatures, Xaurip, Vithrack, Blight, Backer Beta, Updates, Documentary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users