Oh man, great work! Looks stunning! Now the question is, for me, to indulge in beta, or not to indulge in beta? Going to be a damned itch if not, although the scratching will be even sweeter then when PoE is released... Haven't felt an itch like this since.....

The backers wouldn't be paying for the extra cost. I took Flow's comment with 'extra cost' with postage to post out later as an extra cost for Obsidian, not the backer. And there wouldn't need to be two different documentaries. Flow mentioned to ship the complete documentary later as a physical dvd/blu-ray. I can't see Obsidian agreeing to the cost of that. If someone wanted to take a cynical view, it looks like more profits to Obsidian with no need to press discs, print dvd covers or buy dvd cases which is something they would have taken into account.

• Like 1

I love the elemental spirits thing all around, but while the Xaurip design looks fantastic, it gives rise to one little quibble I have with the shaman's casting animation - hopefully something you guys can consider moving forward.

In just about every game with magic, it's stick centered.  Why must magic come from a stick?  Needing a common point for an effect to emerge from several different morphologies is one thing, but in so many games, the animation of getting it out of the stick is also the same... there's some magic stuck in the thing, and like a jammed pez dispenser, if they bang it on the ground a few times, it shakes magic loose from the top.  These are shamans, so even if they need to use stick-based magic for computer reasons, it'd be much more interesting to have them cast with a little dance or something.  Just some simple rain-dance sort of motion, arms and legs waving a moment before the effect comes launching from the stick.  The creature design on them looks great, but I'd love to have that particular animation be a better match to all the personality they show.

• Like 1

Say we sneak past the xaurip horde and kill the dragon without them knowing ... whew, imagine the look on their faces.

They'd go like all Brazil on us...

2014-World-Cup-Saddest-Fan-Reactions-to-

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

And there wouldn't need to be two different documentaries. Flow mentioned to ship the complete documentary later as a physical dvd/blu-ray.

There would if you wanted to please everyone. That's kind of my entire point. Some people are gonna go "whoa, a delay on the documentary? NOT COOL, man!", just like current people are going "Whoa, there won't be a disc? NOT COOL, man!"

Everyone prioritizes the factors differently, and it's easy to say "Pssh, what I want is more important than what others may want." And there's not really an option for Obsidian that pleases everyone, shy of an "all of the above" option, which would require multiple versions of the documentary.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Great update - love those Xaurips and the Vitrack and the lore in general

Say we sneak past the xaurip horde and kill the dragon without them knowing ... whew, imagine the look on their faces.

Your god is dead, you little badswords, now come work for me ... said my dark paladin. 

They'd just get vengeful ...

You'd have to skin the dragon and have your party wear it ... then practise your booming voice.

...poor little dragons :(

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

You'd have to skin the dragon and have your party wear it ... then practise your booming voice.

...poor little dragons :(

Stand on each other's shoulders to try to appear huge and menacing. DEX CHECK! :)

Then a Fortitude/Resolve check when they offer themselves to you as snackrifices? *shrug*

And yes, anameforobsidian... yes it is. o_o

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There would if you wanted to please everyone. That's kind of my entire point. Some people are gonna go "whoa, a delay on the documentary? NOT COOL, man!", just like current people are going "Whoa, there won't be a disc? NOT COOL, man!"

Everyone prioritizes the factors differently, and it's easy to say "Pssh, what I want is more important than what others may want." And there's not really an option for Obsidian that pleases everyone, shy of an "all of the above" option, which would require multiple versions of the documentary.

It's very hard to get what your entire point is when you muddy the waters with things like extra cost to the backers when no one said anything of the sort.

Wow, I looked at the Blight video and thought "duh, elementals, who cares", then read the actual text and am completely sold on them. Well done. 

(Xaurips are still boring pseudo-kobolds, though.)

BORING?! Even pseudo kobolds are more exciting than most gangley, shouty, stabbey heroes!

The backers wouldn't be paying for the extra cost. I took Flow's comment with 'extra cost' with postage to post out later as an extra cost for Obsidian, not the backer.

Yes, that's what i meant.

I assume most of us are OK with the documentary being delayed in exchange for more content. It's the cancellation of the physical disc that I can see would irk those who paid for it. I've never once had a problem with Obsidian pissing people off because of game design or marketing decisions, but not delivering on a tier item makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 1

GhoulishVisage, you had the best spoiler, that's the scariest thing I've seen in years, way better than hollywood! 

Cool update, I like the sound of "extended version" of the documentary. I hope that means like really extended, and not like 4 more minutes extended. Do you guys have a goal in mind for length of content? I'm really interested in your company and it won't hurt my feelings if you guys go a lil nuts like the LOTR extended features. ;)

Blights and the critters look pretty cool, but how would I melee a blight without losing an arm or a foot? Will they stop in their tracks if we yell and holler back at them? :p

Not at all happy with the Blu-ray "turning into" a digital reward... :verymad:

... in other words:

We were faced with a bit of a dilemma when it came to the full documentary footage. In order to provide a physical copy of the documentary when the game shipped, we would be unable to show the final leg of production in order to have time to print all of the discs and packaging decided to go cheap because Paradox wants to maximize their profits at the expense of KS backers like me.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but changing physical rewards to digital means less expense for their publishing "partners" even though backers (a.k.a. "old-school box collectors") like myself spent hundreds of dollars, above and beyond, for those physical pieces... I HATE digital downloads/ rewards/ etc. It stinks of being cheap and really not having the person own it. Yes, the core game matters most but I, and others I'm sure, put in a lot more than most would pay for any game with the promise of certain extras.

Just disappointed but we'll see what else changes before release...

Edited by mindx2

^

Well, they did say they'd offer something extra as well - doesn't mean they're going 'cheap' - wait and see what it is first.

It looks more like they'll be going to the last minute with the production itself so the documentary would either have to finish early (with a cliffhanger :ninja: ), or they finish the documentary properly but can't put it out along with the game.

So the choices are: Delay delivering game, Deliver documentary DVD later (at added expense), or have documentary as download.

Hmm - maybe they could print up the cases and a DVD label for the documentary and deliver that - then you could just burn a disc from the download, add the sticker, and voila!

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Not at all happy with the Blu-ray "turning into" a digital reward... :verymad:

... in other words:

We were faced with a bit of a dilemma when it came to the full documentary footage. In order to provide a physical copy of the documentary when the game shipped, we would be unable to show the final leg of production in order to have time to print all of the discs and packaging decided to go cheap because Paradox wants to maximize their profits at the expense of KS backers like me.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but changing physical rewards to digital means less expense for their publishing "partners" even though backers (a.k.a. "old-school box collectors") like myself spent hundreds of dollars, above and beyond, for those physical pieces... I HATE digital downloads/ rewards/ etc. It stinks of being cheap and really not having the person own it. Yes, the core game matters most but I, and others I'm sure, put in a lot more than most would pay for any game with the promise of certain extras.

Just disappointed but we'll see what else changes before release...

Oh please. It had to be the Evil Publisher. Dear Lord. 

• Like 3

Nice update, even thou I would like to know more deeper lore on those creatures. On the outrage on no blue ray for documentary.

there were 2 options for Obs:

1) blue-ray finished 2 months before shiping game - so most exciting part of process and happy faces in office would be excluded

2) no blue ray with all that jazz in final stage of shipping

You guys have to realise that printing, burning and SHIPPING cost would be DOUBLED if they want to make it after final stage of development

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I get the point of increased shipping costs being a pretty big deal, but it's also an exaggeration to suggest sending one CD mailer envelope is the same cost as sending a bulky parcel containing a large CE box, hefty artbook, T-shirts, cards, etcetera, unless the US Postal Service works in stranger ways than I could have imagined.

(Quick guess as to cost of 5000-7000 DVD mailers at say, $10-15 each (I imagine very conservative considering a good number of them would be domestic mail only), I'd say south of $100,000. Not small but not end-of-the-world stuff either)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G