Tower of Intimidation - The Fighter, Barbarian, or Paladin reduce the constitution and might of enemies in melee range by 1. (Resolve 14, Might 14)

Zealot's Fury - Upon casting a limited use offensive spell, the Paladin's next auto attack is free, with an improved chance to critically strike by 20% (Might 15)

Shield of Faith - The Paladin receives a blessing, divine or from the inner soul, veiling him or her in a shield that protects the Paladin for 20% of maximum stamina, lasting until it is destroyed. The shield is deployed any time the paladin reaches 20% stamina, and has no cooldown. (Resolve 16+) 

Die By The Sword - Upon falling in combat, the Barbarian casts a free auto attack on any near-bye enemies, fighting even from the grave.

Duelist - The Ranger, Rogue, Barbarian, Paladin, And Fighter receive a 10% accuracy bonus and a 5% defensive bonus against targets in melee range. (Dexterity 14+)

Dancing Death - "Like a leaf dancing on a bloody wind." Duel wielding masters attack with a flow and fervency unlike any other. Reduces the rest period between attacks by 15% and accuracy by 5%. (Dexterity 16, Might 16)

Cataclysm - 2 handed blunt weapons have a 25% chance to knock their opponent down upon critical strike (Might 12).

Calming Breeze - Upon receiving a critical strike, or being struck at ranged, the victim channels calming thoughts, reducing his or her chance to be interrupted by 35% for 6 seconds.

Zig-Zag - Increases the miss chance of ranged attacks by 20% against the user while moving, and 5% while not.

Executioner - Significantly Increases critical strike chance and critical strike damage against enemies below 20% stamina while using a 2 handed weapon.

Edited by Pray

I just want an ability/trait/feat/whatever called ghost bleach. I don't even care what it does but that name needs to be in the game now

for some reason my mind drifts to spooky seaman....

One other thing I am sure they have on their mind is class collaboration with status effects.  This seems really well done in Divinity Original Sin with elemental effects but was also used in Dragon Age 2 with status effects like knocked down, dazed, weakened, bleeding, etc.

One of the benefits of this is that it lessens the need for every class to be on par in damage capability plus you don't also have to have dedicated support classes that almost always break boss encounters or are nerfed into uselessness.

Classes can then follow a theme and that theme will dictate what status effects they offer to the party or are prone too.  If this can somehow tie into the stat system like the afforementioned increased AoE from INT, say that WILL or the equivalent offers bonuses to "weaken", PER offers bonuses to "dazed" and DEX offers bonuses to "slowed", it will open up a lot of interesting character builds.

Perhaps weapon types can contribute to status effects as well.  Like a spear should certainly give bonuses to weaken and slow because well aimed spear attacks maim.  That would make an awesome fighter based on WILL, INT and DEX with bare minimum STR that would be a master of AoE weaken and slow =)

One other thing I am sure they have on their mind is class collaboration with status effects.  This seems really well done in Divinity Original Sin with elemental effects but was also used in Dragon Age 2 with status effects like knocked down, dazed, weakened, bleeding, etc.

One of the benefits of this is that it lessens the need for every class to be on par in damage capability plus you don't also have to have dedicated support classes that almost always break boss encounters or are nerfed into uselessness.

Classes can then follow a theme and that theme will dictate what status effects they offer to the party or are prone too.  If this can somehow tie into the stat system like the afforementioned increased AoE from INT, say that WILL or the equivalent offers bonuses to "weaken", PER offers bonuses to "dazed" and DEX offers bonuses to "slowed", it will open up a lot of interesting character builds.

Perhaps weapon types can contribute to status effects as well.  Like a spear should certainly give bonuses to weaken and slow because well aimed spear attacks maim.  That would make an awesome fighter based on WILL, INT and DEX with bare minimum STR that would be a master of AoE weaken and slow =)

I really don't like this from a roleplaying standpoint - The guy who hits really hard happens to kill people, but no, they dont get status effect impairments from getting smashed in the head - but that smart guy who doesn't hit very hard, well - he gives you one hell of a headache despite not killing you.

It just seems a little silly to me.

Edited by Pray

heavy focus on combat alone

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

am having Zero good ideas about feats and traits til we see how combat actual works. at the moment, Gromnir don't even know how secondary statistics is generated or how they impact combat mechanics, so guessing'bout critical modifiers n' such is kinda like guessing if a recipe is needing extra seasoning before we get a chance to taste.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

RE: Accuracy and Dexterity

I am on board with Dex being the primary determinant in accuracy, but I think something like FO3/NV's soft attribute requirements might be a nice complicating factor. It works like Lephys' great sword example. Certain types of weapons (or even all weapons - this could be a good min/max stat deterrent) have other attribute requirements. Meet those reqs, accuracy is determined by Dex. The farther you are away from the req, the more your accuracy suffers. There could even be a weapon handling feat added if we felt the need. 

While this is a neat at first, to me it is too game-y (I know, the irony of complaining about how game-y a game is). D:OS combat is fun, but quite silly, with people hauling around barrels of oil and such and throwing stuff around willy AND nilly. Also, in the end, combat becomes geared towards this approach, that is the best and most efficient way to win fights is to game the systems with multiple status effects and barrels of oil and poison and what not. I wanted to play a knight, not a fork lift!

I think D:OS combat is an object lesson for going too far with this sort of thing. Throwing a barrel of water and casting blitz bolt to stun a bunch of enemies is fun the first couple times, but when combat is balanced around this then that is all you do unless you want to slog through the encounter (which you can, I am not saying that other approaches won't work, it is just that they are so inefficient sometimes that even roleplaying can't justify the effort). 

EDIT: DOUBLE POST, UH UH

Edited by DCParry
  • Like 2