The Official Romance Thread

Oh, don't be like that. It's all in good fun. Besides, isn't this realistic? In the real world, there are no guarantees that you'll find romance simply because you decide to look for it.

Consider what Obsidian is doing here as exploring the other side of the subject: FAILURE.

• Like 5

Oh, don't be like that. It's all in good fun. Besides, isn't this realistic? In the real world, there are no guarantees that you'll find romance simply because you decide to look for it.

Consider what Obsidian is doing here as exploring the other side of the subject: FAILURE.

Problem here here is that Obsidian did not put romance because they thought with so many companions and these few resources there is no way they actually could handle that thing in the quality they want it to be in.  And not because they do not like it.  Because romance stuff is very time consuming and a lot of hard work they did not have the time or budget for. 

Edited by Darji

It is fun, I don't take it personally :biggrin:  I can't speak for other promancers but I know for a fact you guys have offended people  before. Do you know I had 2 people contacting me and saying that weren't coming back to this forum because of the anti-romance propaganda, aggression and dismissiveness of there Romance ideas

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It is fun, I don't take it personally :biggrin:  I can't speak for other promancers but I know for a fact you guys have offended people  before. Do you know I had 2 people contacting me and saying that weren't coming back to this forum because of the anti-romance propaganda, aggression and dismissiveness of there Romance ideas

Well I think that...deserves a round of applause, good work chaps. Little by little we can scourge the debased promancers from our ranks, and send them back to the perverted den of sickness that is the BSN, so long as we remain firm of constitution and purpose. Remember only you can halt the spread of this sickness!

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well I think that...deserves a round of applause, good work chaps. Little by little we can scourge the debased promancers from our ranks, and send them back to the perverted den of sickness that is the BSN, so long as we remain firm of constitution and purpose. Remember only you can halt the spread of this sickness!

:lol: Oh you are funny

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Prepare to be disturbed, then, Bruce.

Not only will there be no Romances in PoE, But from the Demo footage released today, it appears as though the Devs are taking great pleasure in letting the Promancers down.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66501-giantbomb-quicklook-on-the-24th/?p=1469905

lol

I think you're midustanding this because in IGN interview they said they coud be some platonic romances and I'm ok with that.

I don't wish for any sex scene just a bond bewtween characters either it's friendship or love.

Edited by Aslinng

The best thing is that this stuff at the beginning is supposed to go into your biography. I can clearly imagine the epilogue:

'Although the hero went out to find love, none did he find in the drywood. After his adventure ended, he was never to be seen in the realm, although rumors have it that you can still hear the sound of him crying his self to sleep while going through the streets on a full moon.'

Not only will there be no Romances in PoE, But from the Demo footage released today, it appears as though the Devs are taking great pleasure in letting the Promancers down.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66501-giantbomb-quicklook-on-the-24th/?p=1469905

lol

I think you're midustanding this because in IGN interview they said they coud be some platonic romances and I'm ok with that.

I don't wish for any sex scene just a bond bewtween characters either it's friendship or love.

Really? Must have missed that part, as I can only remember josh saying that there are no romances because they would cost to too much ressources to be made properly.

• Like 3

Why do people keep bringing up Kreia as a well-written character? Shouldn't a well-written character have a coherent character arc?

Because she was mysterious and memorable and what her motivations and objectives were were interesting?  I mean she was a villain, does she need an arc to be a well written one?

• Like 1

I enjoy romance in a game if it is done well.  Has nothing to do with "need to get a bf" as so many postulate.  I was happily married for years until I lost my husband to cancer last year.  I just think if it is done well, can add another dimension to story. 

The one thing that drives me crazy though is how those who are against it feel the need to dictate its exclusion when typically romances are optional.

• Like 2

lol

There is no love in this game not even platonic love. In the IGN video they also explain why. No one wanted sex scenes in an isometric view. And this thread is also not about wanting sex scenes in the first place^^

Why do people keep bringing up Kreia as a well-written character? Shouldn't a well-written character have a coherent character arc?

Because she was mysterious and memorable and what her motivations and objectives were were interesting?  I mean she was a villain, does she need an arc to be a well written one?

I would agree that not all antagonists (I don't judge Kreia to be a villain) need an arc, but I personally think Kreia had quite a straightforward one, initially she is seeking revenge for the indignities enacted upon her and that is all but she changes as the game begins, and she finds a kindred spirit. Just like all of the Exile's other companions she is affected by his drawing upon her, and after the longest time begins to sense that she might achieve vindication for her philosophy and approach to the force.

This is why she appears as a mentor to the character, though in fact she reveals flaws and weaknesses as she teaches, as she is a realistically flawed depiction of a terrifyingly strong woman. Her speciesism, her contempt for charity, her ruthlessness and her almost total lack of empathy. So they teach each other and Kreia shows the Exile first the many flaws and hypocrisy that riddle the Jedi, and then how weak the Sith in truth are when one approaches them with a balanced view and an awoken mind.

In the end returned to the place where the force was wounded Kreia admits her love for the idea of the Exile, shows her empathy awoken and admits that maybe her struggle was flawed by her own use of the force in the first place. And this illustrates that the Exile has affected her as much as she affected him, and that her struggle is over because she won and proved herself and her pupil superior to both Jedi and Sith. I like to think that in the end she was happy and content in those last moments, because in many ways she fought a heroic battle against the binary tyranny of the force.

That's just my translation however, and may be false.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The best thing is that this stuff at the beginning is supposed to go into your biography. I can clearly imagine the epilogue:

'Although the hero went out to find love, none did he find in the drywood. After his adventure ended, he was never to be seen in the realm, although rumors have it that you can still hear the sound of him crying his self to sleep while going through the streets on a full moon.'

Rofl! And just imagine if they let Chris Avellone write the epilogues.

• Like 3

I'm very excited to see a worthy successor to Baldur's Gate 2, and I've been backing Pillars of Eternity since it was announced as Project Eternity.  I'm very disappointed to hear that romances won't be in Pillars (at least at launch), because they were done so well in Baldur's Gate 2 and, going further, the Knights of the Old Republic games.  I understand the complexity involved, but the amount of variability and replayability is truly awesome, especially when you start to think about character and group buffs and debuffs depending on where the romance goes and how it affects other characters.

Not a dealbreaker, just something I would really like to see prioritized for a future release.  Thanks

I enjoy romance in a game if it is done well.  Has nothing to do with "need to get a bf" as so many postulate.  I was happily married for years until I lost my husband to cancer last year.  I just think if it is done well, can add another dimension to story. 

The one thing that drives me crazy though is how those who are against it feel the need to dictate its exclusion when typically romances are optional.

I enjoy romance a lot as well.  I am so sorry about your husband what a horrible loss.  I agree it can be a great addition to the story.  I just think we should remember Obsidian and BIS has created great characters and memorable stories without romances in the past and trust that they will do so again.

This has also been a point of contention and annoyance for me. We know all Romance is optional but people act they are being forced to partake. And  trust me I have heard the counterpoint to this, its "but we don't want resources committed to Romance when they can be spent on other things in the game, so I  still don't want Romance even if its optional " 

:aiee:

Oh welcome to the forums :no:

If you want to be entertained wait till Hiro and Lephys start debating later on, its unlike anything you have ever seen before :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

First of all I am sorry for your loss. 

Secondly I totally agree with you. good written Romance can do a lot to characters especially in RPGs.  It is kind of sad that western developer besides a few which do it not even very well are so scared of actually bring love into video games.  In reality I am not a very emotional guy but I really love to watch Love and romance movies. Especially ones from Japan. They maybe totally cheesy and corny but they actually have a lot of heart and emotion into them. Sadly not even many hollywood movies can do this right., And if they are made in Britain like Love actually for example. 

Example of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaR1huz8MgQ

And I really wish Developer would actually try to implement more love and romance into their games. Even JRPGs try to shy away from real love and romance. I was actually shocked and pleasantly surprised by the kiss scene from FFX. Because presented like that was a first and sadly really the last for this series.  That is also why I was so impressed how the Witcher 3 handheld all the romance and love scenes. It was on a level I have not seen in games before and I actually can not wait to see how they do this in Witcher 3. 

Edited by Darji

Some people have in fact suggested it should be effectively mandatory. 

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

This has also been a point of contention and annoyance for me. We know all Romance is optional but people act they are being forced to partake. And  trust me I have heard the counterpoint to this, its "but we don't want resources committed to Romance when they can be spent on other things in the game, so I  still don't want Romance even if its optional " 

If you want to be entertained wait till Hiro and Lephys start debating later on, its unlike anything you have ever seen before :biggrin:

It's not just a loss of resources; it's a loss of resources that affect everyone! The loss of romance is tough for people like Darji. Worse/simpler mechanics is bad for people like Darji AND people like Stun. Also, as I have mentioned repeatedly; we can easily mod in romances, but not core functions or areas.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Maybe if Obsidian may release a tookit, fans could implement this feature.

That's just an idea, a wish because I respect all of those people who gave their times for BG companions mods and wish the same passion for Pillars of Eternity to happen.

It's not just a loss of resources; it's a loss of resources that affect everyone! The loss of romance is tough for people like Darji. Worse/simpler mechanics is bad for people like Darji AND people like Stun. Also, as I have mentioned repeatedly; we can easily mod in romances, but not core functions or areas.

I would sacrifice mechanics and complexity in an western RPG to get a better story and great written romance. Again I play games because of the story not the mechanics. 

Many of the people who are upset that poe will not have romance seem to be a crowd who hardly care about the mechanics. I happen to be a fan of good romances AND good mechanics. At least for poe1 these two things are mutually exclusive. Even if the anti-mechanics brand of pro-mancers got their way; they would only "sorta" like poe. They would enjoy the romances if they were well written (which would absolutely not be a sure thing); they would feel the mechanics are boring and tedious (especially if they are gimp from making the romances), and be frustrated at how boring 90% of the game is.

People like Stun (who is an almost perfect representative of Obsidian core fan-base; proven by the fact almost all Obsidian games don't have romances) would hate the game. Also important is that the pro-mancers can get one of the many pro-mance rpgs that come out EVERY YEAR!

If Obsidian does as it has done; people like Stun get exactly what they want, and are completely happy with it. Anti-mechanic Pro-mancers may be disappointed, but they will still have the mods. Not to mention they weren't ever really going to be happy with poe anyway; even in the not-for-sure event Obsidian wrote them well.

I would sacrifice mechanics and complexity in an western RPG to get a better story and great written romance. Again I play games because of the story not the mechanics. 

I know you would. That's why you should play a visual novel instead of an rpg.

• Like 2

I'm very disappointed to hear that romances won't be in Pillars (at least at launch), because they were done so well in Baldur's Gate 2

There's that game again...

typically romances are optional.

Are they though? This is an actual question...

I understand that romances these days tend to consist of romantic dialogue, something that no Non-Romancer should be interested in certainly, but how much content do they get in comparison?

Look at Jacob Taylor in Mass Effect 2. I haven't particularly taken the time to count the lines, but the amount of dialogue a Player receives for simply romancing him is un-freaking-believable. It is almost double the dialogue content than you get if you remain strictly friends with him. The same can be said of Subject Zero, Jack, from the same game.

Do you know how much dialogue you get with Alistair in Dragon Age Origins if you romance him? Almost double.

The only game Bioware haven't effectively shafted a Non-Romancing Player Character, to my personal knowledge, is in Hordes of the Underdark. And before anyone jumps on the Bioware Bile Band-Wagon. Obsidian also did this in Neverwinter Nights 2, the Original Campaign AND Mask of the Betrayer, though it was definitely to a far lesser degree than Bioware.

Yes, it's purely "romantic" dialogue and it's perfectly optional. But "optional" doesn't necessarily make it okay.

/Opinions.

Edited by Sylvanpyxie
  • Like 2

I know you would. That's why you should play a visual novel instead of an rpg.

One more thing. Even if you don't play for mechanics; you still have to deal with them. So they still matter; even to you.

• Like 1