The Official Romance Thread

Romance adds to a more immersive and memorable RPG experience with your party members. These posts are what almost all people who want Romance feel and despite all the objections to Romance it doesn't change the logical reason for including them

I still am not totally convinced of this.  This seems to indicate that a lack of romance automatically means a less immersive and memorable RPG experience and any RPG without romance is automatically inferior.  As I said I guess we will see if Obsidian a chance but it would be nice to at least keep an open mind and not just go into it already convinced it will be a failure and demanding they correct it in PoE2.

Romance adds to a more immersive and memorable RPG experience with your party members.

Or detracts from it horribly through an awkward, contrived and glued on accesssory feature that can never really grow to its full potential and casts a toxic shadow over everything else. Like it usually does. ;)

• Like 6

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

That'd be a nice end to the romance in a game - the other party flips out on you and takes half your gear and XP.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Romance adds to a more immersive and memorable RPG experience with your party members.

Or detracts from it horribly through an awkward, contrived and glued on accesssory feature that can never really grow to its full potential and casts a toxic shadow over everything else. Like it usually does. ;)

:lol:

" That's definitely not the positive marketing spin on Romance folks, just in case anyone was wondering if it was " ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When did RPGs become dating sims? 

Stepping into the Bioware forums, you'd think that DA:I was a fantasy romance sim rather than an RPG. Haven't the devs already stated that romance won't be happening in PoE? I'm perfectly fine with NPCs having character arcs without romance.

• Like 1

That'd be a nice end to the romance in a game - the other party flips out on you and takes half your gear and XP.

Of course that's always a good emotion to work with, betrayal. But about betrayal and then possible redemption?

So in your example they take some items ( not XP ) and then you can track them down, find out why but still forgive them. Good Romance arc idea Malc :thumbsup:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When did RPGs become dating sims? 

Stepping into the Bioware forums, you'd think that DA:I was a fantasy romance sim rather than an RPG. Haven't the devs already stated that romance won't be happening in PoE? I'm perfectly fine with NPCs having character arcs without romance.

Unfortunately when I read this type of post I can only come to one conclusion. You are in fact not fine with the fact that PoE won't have Romance and this confusion manifests itself possibly subconsciously in posts like this :biggrin:

John Milton 

adding longer/new relationship strands is probably easier than trying to program something new into the game.

I can assure you it's not. A game can have easy-to-use modding tools that allow even a N00b to create new stuff in the game, like textures, meshes (nude bodies), clothing, weapons, and even whole area maps.

But no toolset I've ever seen can turn someone into a good writer. And without good writing, what's a modded romance going to look like....besides a giant ugly mass of seemingly deliberate e-graffiti that doesn't add to a game as much as ruin what's already there?

I never spoke to quality, only to ease to the modder with respect to its relationship to creating a longer game (something that, say a nude bodies mod or a better cloaks mod wouldn't do).

Certainly from what little I played around with the IE tools various people created and the NWN tools, creating dialogue - while not trivial - was not like creating a new area map (which was particularly difficult with IE).

Edit -

Of course that's always a good emotion to work with, betrayal. But about betrayal and then possible redemption?

So in your example they take some items ( not XP ) and then you can track them down, find out why but still forgive them. Good Romance arc idea Malc :thumbsup:

I don't see why a "LI" in a game couldn't actually be playing the PC. Much like being able to flirt with Aveline in DA2 doesn't lead anywhere, the PC should be able to ignore signs that he/she is going to get burned in a relationship and suffer the consequences.

If Romance is going to move past just being an ego stroke (fner-fner) then they really need to plan it to have multiple different resolutions based on the NPC, not just all roads lead to a sex scene prior to the final fight.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Haven't the devs already stated that romance won't be happening in PoE?

Yep. Although, sadly, they were very polite to the promancers when giving them the 'bad news'.

If I was a dev, the announcement would have been far more... colorful. Like this:

mkrx38I.jpg

LOL

(edit: saw this one in another romance thread here and just had to steal it)

Edited by Stun
  • Like 6

Haven't the devs already stated that romance won't be happening in PoE?

Yep. Although, sadly, they were very polite to the promancers when giving them the 'bad news'.

If I was a dev, the announcement would have been far more... colorful. Like this:

mkrx38I.jpg

LOL

(edit: saw this one in another romance thread here and just had to steal it)

Whatever happened to Cultist? Chaps gifs always added a little levity.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes.

Edit: But it was nice, raucous and funny toxic invective, rather than the usual, cutesy, lol so random stuff that passes for wit.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nah, much better to just screw the player over and leave them regretting the whole silliness. Chasing after some love that spurned you for some cheap redemption moment is pablum.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You're both wrong, there should be a long drawn out legal battle that bankrupts the PC while the romance partner shacks up with a man-child and lives off the PC's hard earned adventuring loot. Romance at its most realistic.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

And then the adventurer takes the ex on the Jerry Springer show, where he throws a chair at the new boyfriend and the ex reveals she's actually a lesbian.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

:lol:

Agx were you that type of kid who went out his way to prove that there was no such thing as Father Xmas and then used science to show your fellow pre-schoolers that he couldn't possibly exist?

Don't get me wrong I am huge supporter in the facts and intellectual debate but sometimes we like things to be silly or unlikely or just plain fantasy :sorcerer:

Lets not over-analyse everything ( its funny hearing me tell you this because I get told I do this in RL )

It's a rhetorical device known as "hyperbole."

You're both wrong, there should be a long drawn out legal battle that bankrupts the PC while the romance partner shacks up with a man-child and lives off the PC's hard earned adventuring loot. Romance at its most realistic.

If women were attracted to man-children there wouldn't be any "men's rights" activists on the internet blaming feminists for all the world's ills (their ongoing virginity and the illegality of prostitution ranking high among those global problems.)

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Most "men's rights" activists are literally children right?  It seems like I saw some poll where virtually all of them were under 21.

Sorry Valmy but I have to dismiss that characterization of mens activists with utter contempt and say it is complete nonsense. Unless you can provide me some links that corroborate your post?

John Milton 

Most "men's rights" activists are literally children right?  It seems like I saw some poll where virtually all of them were under 21.

Sorry Valmy but I have to dismiss that characterization of mens activists with utter contempt and say it is complete nonsense. Unless you can provide me some links that corroborate your post?

Apology accepted and um no I don't care that much.  Well check that if I can find it on Google in less than 30 seconds I will...

Hey look I did: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2014/04/13/but-how-do-you-know-the-mras-are-atheists/

Edited by Valmy

If women were attracted to man-children there wouldn't be any "men's rights" activists on the internet blaming feminists for all the world's ills (their ongoing virginity and the illegality of prostitution ranking high among those global problems.)

I can show you some football players and frat boys that prove this wrong.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am suddenly uncomfortable with the direction this thread is going heh

Anyway frat boys and football players are young and good looking.  And most of the women who love them are age appropriate.

I am suddenly uncomfortable with the direction this thread is going heh

Anyway frat boys and football players are young and good looking. And most of the women who love them are age appropriate.

Well yeah, a good many of them act like 14 year olds into their 30s though.

Besides, would you rather bring in a guy who wants to mind control NPCs to "romance" into this thread?

Why not, some freak brought it up last time :lol:

• Like 1