Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

Well, for the most part of the world, afternoon pacific time isn't "today" anymore but tomorrow, as in the 19th of August. (which for the working part of the backers means waiting another 24 hours from now)

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting another day to play it. What I do mind is getting this publisher-style crap of "screw the rest of the world" from an indie dev that I supported, in part, to avoid this kind of behavior.

Delay in the sense that at that time, it's not 'today' anymore in probably most parts of the world.

Is it really their fault that the 18th of August in PDT is not the 18th in different parts of the world? I think people in other parts of the world should consider the timezone that the developers are in, just as they are asking the developers to consider the timezone they are in. If a developer in the UK says the it a release will be on the 18th, then why would I be confused if it is released late at night for me? I understand your situation, but isn't it unreasonable for the developers to consider every possible timezone that doesn't align with theirs? Wouldn't it be more efficient if the people in different timezones compared theirs and the devs timezones and took that different into account?

No ill will, just my thoughts on the subject. I suppose I could be biased, since I share the same timezone as the devs.

It's totally fine that the time zones are different, and I expected the beta to be released during their working hours. Still, their working hours start at 7-8pm of my local time and a lot of the recent updates actually felt into this timeframe, so I naturally expected the beta to come close to this.

They now announced the game for 11 pm of my local time. Given that the site is going to break down, steam needs to download the game and all that stuff, it's propably save to say there won't be any game today. It's totally understandable to be upset about it, given that they are using steam: they could've handed out the keys earlier and then unlocked the game via steam at a certain time for everyone, probably even automatically, which would have adressed the issue easily.

I'm not really angry at the devs, just disappointed because I'm hyped and I won't have time tomorrow without neglecting work.

Hey, everyone. The beta is all ready to go. We are just checking the last few things before we push everything live. We are thinking that it should be ready by around 2:00 PM PDT. If it looks like it will go past that time, I will update everyone in this thread.

Thanks for your patience. We just want to make sure everyone has a great Backer Beta experience.

Thanks for the heads up.

It's totally fine that the time zones are different, and I expected the beta to be released during their working hours. Still, their working hours start at 7-8pm of my local time and a lot of the recent updates actually felt into this timeframe, so I naturally expected the beta to come close to this.

They now announced the game for 11 pm of my local time. Given that the site is going to break down, steam needs to download the game and all that stuff, it's propably save to say there won't be any game today. It's totally understandable to be upset about it, given that they are using steam: they could've handed out the keys earlier and then unlocked the game via steam at a certain time for everyone, probably even automatically, which would have adressed the issue easily.

I'm not really angry at the devs, just disappointed because I'm hyped and I won't have time tomorrow without neglecting work.

Right. Your perspective it totally understandable, it is just not logical. One's expectations are derived from their own desires, and so their disappointment is their own fault. I may be sounding a little Buddhist here, but that is at least my perspective.

I think it would be nice if developers considered other timezones, and your perspective is an understandable one, as I said. I just don't think we should blame the developers or get disappointed for something like this. Good on you for not being angry at them.

I'm sorry if I am a bit blunt in my posts, I am just trying to take a logical standpoint.

How many GBs is the Beta download going to be? Any information on that?

I've heard it's around 1.5TB. Of course, I'm the person who said that, who I heard it from, so it's very likely not correct.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Right. Your perspective it totally understandable, it is just not logical. One's expectations are derived from their own desires, and so their disappointment is their own fault. I may be sounding a little Buddhist here, but that is at least my perspective.

I think it would be nice if developers considered other timezones, and your perspective is an understandable one, as I said. I just don't think we should blame the developers or get disappointed for something like this. Good on you for not being angry at them.

I'm sorry if I am a bit blunt in my posts, I am just trying to take a logical standpoint.

That's fine, I know that I'm being emotional. I also agree that you can't make everyone happy. However, a lot of the backers are from europe, so I don't think we are an insignificant number of people. For example, I upped my pledge yesterday because I was so pleased with everything so far. I'm not saying that I regret it, but the negative emotion will probably discourage me the next time I think about it, so it's not like it's totally independent of everything when they release it.

I think it would've been better to announce the beta for tuesday, prepare it on monday and then release it on tuesday morning in their time, selfish as that may be.

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 1

Wouldn't it be wise to think something along the lines of "Ok, the release date is the 18th.  But they're filthy slackjawed Yanks who live on an extremely inconvenient continent with it's own ridiculous time zone, so when they say the 18th, what that really means for me is the 19th, at an hour that is probably so ungodly that even my trusty chamomile tea won't cheer me up.  Bugger."???

With a regular publisher - yes, without a doubt. But with an indie dev like Obsidian I had the apparently foolish illusion they'd actually care enough o think about things like that and release the beta at, say, 8 am local time, so people in other parts of the world would have a chance to play at the stated date as well.

But now that I know I'll add another day to any future date they post, just to be sure not to be disappointed again.

The obvious answer is Obsidian hates non-Americans.

...everyone does.

• Like 1

I've heard it's around 1.5TB. Of course, I'm the person who said that, who I heard it from, so it's very likely not correct.

Wow, 1.5TB? Must be all the beetle animations.

Wow, 1.5TB? Must be all the beetle animations.

Well, as beetle animations go, they are pretty epic! Don't think that kind of thing comes without a price!

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Technically, the 18th isn't a special day. It's not like they're making non-Americans wait until Boxing Day to get their Christmas gift. If you know that you live 12 hours ahead of people who are making the game in California, why would you get up at 9am and say GO TIME?

Funnily enough they're using Steam so it would've actually been possible to do that. Send the keys out over a couple of days and have Steam release the beta staggered over the individual time-zones at a given local time. 

Not that I'd expect that kind of effort for a simple beta, just saying it's not unreasonable to hope for something like that. :p

That would be terrible. Everybody would complain that some people are getting the beta before they are. That wouldn't be 'effort', or rather, that would be a special kind of effort to make everyone as pissed off as possible.

It all comes down to the fact that we all had to wait the 15th of August, the 16th, and the 17th too. It comes out when it is ready, and it's ready a few hours later than expected. It's got nothing to do with caring about the various timezones of the world. 

Anyway, 2pm PDT, at least we have an ETA now so people aren't F5'ing forever. 

• Like 3

Ah, man... And here I was hoping it wouldn't be 1TB...

Wouldn't it be wise to think something along the lines of "Ok, the release date is the 18th.  But they're filthy slackjawed Yanks who live on an extremely inconvenient continent with it's own ridiculous time zone, so when they say the 18th, what that really means for me is the 19th, at an hour that is probably so ungodly that even my trusty chamomile tea won't cheer me up.  Bugger."???

With a regular publisher - yes, without a doubt. But with an indie dev like Obsidian I had the apparently foolish illusion they'd actually care enough o think about things like that and release the beta at, say, 8 am local time, so people in other parts of the world would have a chance to play at the stated date as well.

But now that I know I'll add another day to any future date they post, just to be sure not to be disappointed again.

The obvious answer is Obsidian hates non-Americans.

yea damn them for not having a time machine.  frankly speaking of time you shold always expect it to be american timezone, usually PST. - although i really wish people would use GMT.

I have to admit, glancing in at this thread has had a certain entertaining image of a car trip and the kids going "Are we theeeeeere yet?"

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just don't think we should blame the developers or get disappointed for something like this.

Can't speak for others but I'm certainly not blaming them. They've probably worked pretty hard to make the deadline and not have to delay the release. It's just that, somewhere deep inside, there's still this glimmer of hope that one day, we (as in: anyone outside the US) won't be treated as second-class consumers by American companies.

It's usually not even intentional, it's just that companies often don't even think about the fact that there are actually people living outside the US just as excited about their product. And if you get that kind of attitude constantly for more than a decade, you get somewhat sensitive to it.

Anyway, now that the update is out (thanks for that), I can safely go to bed, knowing that when I'll come home from work tomorrow, there'll the a beta key waiting for me. :)

Edited by war:head
  • Like 3

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

Technically, the 18th isn't a special day. It's not like they're making non-Americans wait until Boxing Day to get their Christmas gift. If you know that you live 12 hours ahead of people who are making the game in California, why would you get up at 9am and say GO TIME?

Funnily enough they're using Steam so it would've actually been possible to do that. Send the keys out over a couple of days and have Steam release the beta staggered over the individual time-zones at a given local time. 

Not that I'd expect that kind of effort for a simple beta, just saying it's not unreasonable to hope for something like that. :p

This was not possible due to some technical reasons. We worked with Steam so that we could make the Beta live while it wouldn't show up in stores. Because of this, the beta has been technically live for a couple of weeks and anybody with a key could have accessed the build that was up there (which wasn't the final build). With the way we are releasing keys, they will be live to all backers at once.

• Like 11

Guaranteed not anywhere near 1.5 Tb. That's 1500 Gb yall. More like 5-10 Gb tops.