Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

Well, for the most part of the world, afternoon pacific time isn't "today" anymore but tomorrow, as in the 19th of August. (which for the working part of the backers means waiting another 24 hours from now)

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting another day to play it. What I do mind is getting this publisher-style crap of "screw the rest of the world" from an indie dev that I supported, in part, to avoid this kind of behavior.

Delay in the sense that at that time, it's not 'today' anymore in probably most parts of the world.

Is it really their fault that the 18th of August in PDT is not the 18th in different parts of the world? I think people in other parts of the world should consider the timezone that the developers are in, just as they are asking the developers to consider the timezone they are in. If a developer in the UK says the it a release will be on the 18th, then why would I be confused if it is released late at night for me? I understand your situation, but isn't it unreasonable for the developers to consider every possible timezone that doesn't align with theirs? Wouldn't it be more efficient if the people in different timezones compared theirs and the devs timezones and took that different into account?

No ill will, just my thoughts on the subject. I suppose I could be biased, since I share the same timezone as the devs.

• Like 3

Well, for the most part of the world, afternoon pacific time isn't "today" anymore but tomorrow, as in the 19th of August. (which for the working part of the backers means waiting another 24 hours from now)

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting another day to play it. What I do mind is getting this publisher-style crap of "screw the rest of the world" from an indie dev that I supported, in part, to avoid this kind of behavior.

It's always tomorrow for somebody somewhere. Good luck surviving in the real world.

• Like 2

Say no to popamole!

Wouldn't it be wise to think something along the lines of "Ok, the release date is the 18th.  But they're filthy slackjawed Yanks who live on an extremely inconvenient continent with it's own ridiculous time zone, so when they say the 18th, what that really means for me is the 19th, at an hour that is probably so ungodly that even my trusty chamomile tea won't cheer me up.  Bugger."???

With a regular publisher - yes, without a doubt. But with an indie dev like Obsidian I had the apparently foolish illusion they'd actually care enough o think about things like that and release the beta at, say, 8 am local time, so people in other parts of the world would have a chance to play at the stated date as well.

But now that I know I'll add another day to any future date they post, just to be sure not to be disappointed again.

• Like 1

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

Technically, the 18th isn't a special day. It's not like they're making non-Americans wait until Boxing Day to get their Christmas gift. If you know that you live 12 hours ahead of people who are making the game in California, why would you get up at 9am and say GO TIME?

I lived in NZ for fifteen years, so it's not like I don't know how it is...

• Like 1

It's always tomorrow for somebody somewhere. Good luck surviving in the real world.

Seriously. Blaming people for the time zones.

• Like 1

With a regular publisher - yes, without a doubt. But with an indie dev like Obsidian I had the apparently foolish illusion they'd actually care enough o think about things like that and release the beta at, say, 8 am local time, so people in other parts of the world would have a chance to play at the stated date as well.

I guess too bad for the people in NZ and Japan and such, where 8AM PST is past midnight the next day for them.

Hey, everyone. The beta is all ready to go. We are just checking the last few things before we push everything live. We are thinking that it should be ready by around 2:00 PM PDT. If it looks like it will go past that time, I will update everyone in this thread.

Thanks for your patience. We just want to make sure everyone has a great Backer Beta experience.

• Like 31

Hey, everyone. The beta is all ready to go. We are just checking the last few things before we push everything live. We are thinking that it should be ready by around 2:00 PM PDT. If it looks like it will go past that time, I will update everyone in this thread.

Thanks for your patience. We just want to make sure everyone has a great Backer Beta experience.

Thanks for the update

Technically, the 18th isn't a special day. It's not like they're making non-Americans wait until Boxing Day to get their Christmas gift. If you know that you live 12 hours ahead of people who are making the game in California, why would you get up at 9am and say GO TIME?

Funnily enough they're using Steam so it would've actually been possible to do that. Send the keys out over a couple of days and have Steam release the beta staggered over the individual time-zones at a given local time. 

Not that I'd expect that kind of effort for a simple beta, just saying it's not unreasonable to hope for something like that. :p

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

I lived in NZ for fifteen years, so it's not like I don't know how it is...

Thanks that made me laugh :) Like christmas is special ;P

Wouldn't it be wise to think something along the lines of "Ok, the release date is the 18th.  But they're filthy slackjawed Yanks who live on an extremely inconvenient continent with it's own ridiculous time zone, so when they say the 18th, what that really means for me is the 19th, at an hour that is probably so ungodly that even my trusty chamomile tea won't cheer me up.  Bugger."???

But now that I know I'll add another day to any future date they post, just to be sure not to be disappointed again.

8 AM PDT? What about people on other areas? There's always going to be somebody who has a different timezone, and is going to be 'left out' Obsidian doesn't have to cater to everyone with every time zone. That Obsidian is doing an independent thing right now makes it even harder since they have less resources. What you are doing right now is entitlement, and this kind of selfishness is ridiculous in my opinion.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update Brandon! Much appreciated!

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

The obvious answer is Obsidian hates non-Americans.

• Like 4

good, time for me to get some lunch instead of spamming f5

• Like 1

Thanks for the Information 

utram

Thanks! Looking forward to it :)