Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

I've finally become a backer, I couldn't deal with potentially not having access to the backer beta. Baldur's Gate 2 has such a powerful grip on my being I couldn't not.

• Like 5

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

My prediction for tomorrow, The play by Play:

First: Obsidian announces that beta keys are now redeemable in the backer portal.

Second: Backer Portal site experiences massive lag, and downtime as thousands and thousands of super eager backers suddenly descend upon it to get their steam keys.

Third: several hours later, the site comes back up, and operational. I'm finally able to snag my key.

Fourth: I run to steam and spend 10 minutes trying to navigate through its nonsense to find the PoE backer beta to download.

Fifth: Download complete. I finally get to play!

Sixth: I look at the clock.... Ugh, it's Tuesday morning already. Sh*t. I forgot to sleep.

I'll call you...Nostradamus. :D

• Like 1

Bandit of the Obsidian Order
image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
animaliacustici.tumblr.com

I've finally become a backer, I couldn't deal with potentially not having access to the backer beta. Baldur's Gate 2 has such a powerful grip on my being I couldn't not.

Yeah, I just became a backer too.... just 3 days before it shuts. Better late than never!

I wanted to show my support at the 11th hour. Had to be a part of it.

I loved the Infinity-Engine Games and I backed you with 50$ via Paypal. After I saw some videos of Pillars of Eternity from the E3 and Gamescom I came to the conclusion that the game is going to be great and I gave you additional 45$ (25$ for a beta key and 20$ for the first expansion). When can we expect the beta to start tomorrow? Will it be in the morning or in the evening (your timezone)? If its in the evening it will be already tuesday here.

Yeah, I just became a backer too.... just 3 days before it shuts. Better late than never!

I wanted to show my support at the 11th hour. Had to be a part of it.

Me three. Backed and ready to go! I want PoE to be a massive success. As much as it can be.

• Like 1

It seems like the greater concern from folks is the preservation of the story (no spoilers) throughout the beta; my primary concern is getting my $25 worth. If it is short and pointless.... yea, it harms the wallet and good faith a little. I'm not watching the videos because, for me, I want the beta to be fun and new. I'm hoping for 4+ hours of content...is that hoping too much? :(

I think I would've just stuck with my original pledge and not purchased beta access separate if the beta is short and sucky. Am I way off base here? From everything I have read the beta is intended to be more than just paying a premium to help the Q&A team slog through the bugs; it's partially supposed to be about playing and enjoying content before the game is released....correct?

Anyway, I am a long time follower of Project Eternity, just haven't had much reason to say anything on the forums. Very much enjoyed reading different threads though (i.e. the MEGA threads about armor types).

I think I would've just stuck with my original pledge and not purchased beta access separate if the beta is short and sucky. Am I way off base here? From everything I have read the beta is intended to be more than just paying a premium to help the Q&A team slog through the bugs; it's partially supposed to be about playing and enjoying content before the game is released....correct?

Ehh, it depends from game to game, but Obsidian isn't doing anything abnormal here.  The beta, is traditionally, about bug testing and balancing the game.  Enjoying parts of the game is the icing.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone! It's been August 18th for 8 hours and 55 minutes here in Melbourne...not counting or anything...hurrrry up!! :)

Being a fellow Aussie (who's also waiting), you're likely to be waiting until tomorrow (in our timezone) ... so you'll just have to be patient :)

It seems like the greater concern from folks is the preservation of the story (no spoilers) throughout the beta; my primary concern is getting my $25 worth. If it is short and pointless.... yea, it harms the wallet and good faith a little. I'm not watching the videos because, for me, I want the beta to be fun and new. I'm hoping for 4+ hours of content...is that hoping too much? :(

I recall them saying it'd take 3-6 hours (depending on how thorough you are with exploration vs. rushing through I guess) - but then you've also got multiple goes with different PCs ;)

(Don't forget it is a beta though - expect some bugs to report and a less than perfect combat balance - from what I saw of the videos though, you should enjoy it - colour me jealous :p ).

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I recall them saying it'd take 3-6 hours (depending on how thorough you are with exploration vs. rushing through I guess) - but then you've also got multiple goes with different PCs ;)

(Don't forget it is a beta though - expect some bugs to report and a less than perfect combat balance - from what I saw of the videos though, you should enjoy it - colour me jealous :p ).

Well that is good news. I guess one can hope they may expand the beta (which is, from what I understand, within their ability) to include slightly more content as time goes on. And I should add that I do not expect perfection or anything of the sort: it being a beta is forefront in my mind and I feel I have a higher tolerance for bugs and balance than many people. I grew up on the un-patchable games of the late 80s well into the 90s. In some cases bugs and glitches become part of the 'art' and/or fiction of those games (i.e. the strategic use of bullet-hell slowdown). ;)

From your name I would guess you are looking forward to any snow or ice tile sets PoE might have to offer? Oh, and it isn't too late to get the beta Silent Winter!! (at least, not the last I checked)

Brandon will probably go to work early in the morning and give a pre-9am backer update. Beta is probably already pre-loaded onto steam - that's the only reason I can think of as to why the auto-attack bugfix might not be included in the beta, because they probably uploaded the files last week.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone! It's been August 18th for 8 hours and 55 minutes here in Melbourne...not counting or anything...hurrrry up!! :)

Being a fellow Aussie (who's also waiting), you're likely to be waiting until tomorrow (in our timezone) ... so you'll just have to be patient :)

yeah i know, i posted in one of the other threads about it, some speculation it might be on steam at 10am, which translates to 3am tomorrow for us