Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

I'll have two weeks to play the beta before my senior semester of university starts. Perfect timing.

Now here's hoping the release is near Thanksgiving or winter break

Oh, to be young again. Back when playing video games to pass the time was not more often than not a waste of time.

Edited by Bryy

Bryy, there's a decent chance that the Cyborg prestige class will be available before you die, as long as you have enough gold as a pre-requisite. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

No age complaints are valid until your 40s, that's when things start to go to hell.

But do enjoy your birthdays.

Speaking of dying, are there dieties in this game or only The Force?

From the wiki:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Deity

People worship many gods, but usually the ones who are most associated with their way of life; farmers may worship gods of light, growth or storms, while warriors might worship gods of battle or fortune. For some, this worship a matter of respect and tradition; they consider their deities to be their creators and they follow these gods because they believe that disrespecting these gods could bring dire consequences. For others, religious worship is a matter of karmic self-interest. Such individuals hope that their deity will favor them and place their soul in th body of someone who will live a good life. For such people, choosing not to worship is to risk spiritual confusion, aimlessness in the afterlife or ending up in the "lottery of souls" which will probably leave the individual's soul in a much worse state that it was before death. Beyond their primary deities, most people will say a prayer to the appropriate god when the circumstances are right; farmers will pray to a god of battle when their lands are invaded and warriors will pray to a god of growth when they're starving in the wilderness.

Sometimes the same god – or gods – may have a different identity in a different part of the world. The most notable example of this is the god of life and death, called Berath in Aedyran and Cirono in Vailian.

Known deities

Berath – god of cycles, doors and death

Eothas – god of light and redemption

Galawain – god of the hunt in all its forms.

Hylea – goddess of birds and the sky.

Magran – goddess of fire and war

Ondra – goddes of water and the moon.

Woedica – goddess of law, memory, rightful rulership and vengeance

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thanks, bookmarked the Wiki. :)

I wouldn't want to end up in the "lottery of souls' which will probably leave the individual's soul in a much worse state that it was before death."

I'm really bad at those games.

Cannot wait for this.  I have fired up IWD 1+2 to try and curb the anticipation.  It is not working at all.  I am scrambling trying to remember all the rules for 2e for IWD.  I am wracking my brain trying to remember all the tucked away quests in both games.  And, I have horrible altitis with barely making it past the prologue in both games.

^From update 83

Backer Beta

Backer Beta is still on track to be released on August 18th. There were some key pieces of information I wanted to make sure everyone knew about, though:

• We will be releasing the Backer Beta on Steam only. The reason for this is because Steam makes the process of uploading new builds much easier than other platforms. This will allow us to put out updated versions of the game more quickly than we could otherwise. The main game will still be available on all previously promised options (Steam, GOG, etc.)
  • You will be able to download your Backer Beta key from our backer portal. Once we release the Backer Beta, we will send instructions on how to get your key.
  • The Backer Beta key WILL NOT be the same key that you use to get the final game. It will only give you access to the beta version of the game. The main reason we are doing this is so that backers are not locked into Steam for the final version of the game. For example, you can use Steam for the Backer Beta and GOG for your retail copy of the game if you wish.
  • For feedback, we will be creating a special forum for Backer Beta discussions and bug reports. Our QA Lead, Matthew Sheets, will be on the forums often to collect data and get it input into issues for the team to fix.
  • Initially, we are releasing the Backer Beta on Windows only. We are still working out a few kinks on Mac and Linux, but we expect that we will be able to release those a few weeks after our initial release, if not sooner. We want to get Mac and Linux players in the game as soon as possible too.

That's it for the update. Our next update will be when we release the Backer Beta!

I wouldn't expect to hear anything until Monday

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Thank you very Much Obsidian. We live to play games such as these!

Will be any difference between those backers who immediately comfirmed their pledge for the beta key and those that confirmed it at a later time? Will all backers who order it be able to play the game starting from Monday?

Thanks!

C.

^From update 83

Backer Beta

Backer Beta is still on track to be released on August 18th. There were some key pieces of information I wanted to make sure everyone knew about, though:

• We will be releasing the Backer Beta on Steam only. The reason for this is because Steam makes the process of uploading new builds much easier than other platforms. This will allow us to put out updated versions of the game more quickly than we could otherwise. The main game will still be available on all previously promised options (Steam, GOG, etc.)
  • You will be able to download your Backer Beta key from our backer portal. Once we release the Backer Beta, we will send instructions on how to get your key.
  • The Backer Beta key WILL NOT be the same key that you use to get the final game. It will only give you access to the beta version of the game. The main reason we are doing this is so that backers are not locked into Steam for the final version of the game. For example, you can use Steam for the Backer Beta and GOG for your retail copy of the game if you wish.
  • For feedback, we will be creating a special forum for Backer Beta discussions and bug reports. Our QA Lead, Matthew Sheets, will be on the forums often to collect data and get it input into issues for the team to fix.
  • Initially, we are releasing the Backer Beta on Windows only. We are still working out a few kinks on Mac and Linux, but we expect that we will be able to release those a few weeks after our initial release, if not sooner. We want to get Mac and Linux players in the game as soon as possible too.

That's it for the update. Our next update will be when we release the Backer Beta!

I wouldn't expect to hear anything until Monday

Also, Steam updates their servers at 10am.

I may have played the beta at Gamescom not sure, regardless of what it was...it was AWESOME! the combat system looks pretty cool and the graphics are wicked. I had a flash back to playing Baldurs Gate. If what i played is along lines of the intended product, great job guys!!! Cant wait for the full package....Gamescom dude didnt let me play more than an hour :(...I was hooked. YAY!!!

Respectfully,

-Levok

• Like 4

Pretty sure there isn't.

I mean, I haven't signed anything. You usually get those NDA thingies out of the way before handing out the actual keys.

(Unless, you know, there are some people who got it early, and haven't told anyone yet because of an NDA ... Even then, it would be lifted by tomorrow.)

Edited by Ark Evensong

Someone know if there's a nda on the beta please?

Nope, there will no NDA.

Just to be on the safe side: Are beta backers allowed to make screenshots, videos and talk about the content of the beta?
Or are there any NDA-like restrictions?
No NDA restrictions. Talk, screenshot, and video away.

My prediction for tomorrow, The play by Play:

First: Obsidian announces that beta keys are now redeemable in the backer portal.

Second: Backer Portal site experiences massive lag, and downtime as thousands and thousands of super eager backers suddenly descend upon it to get their steam keys.

Third: several hours later, the site comes back up, and operational. I'm finally able to snag my key.

Fourth: I run to steam and spend 10 minutes trying to navigate through its nonsense to find the PoE backer beta to download.

Fifth: Download complete. I finally get to play!

Sixth: I look at the clock.... Ugh, it's Tuesday morning already. Sh*t. I forgot to sleep.

• Like 14