Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

@ Hiro Protagonist

+1 Silent Winter's comments about site access, but you can also get a short term subscription to a VPN as most of us Laowai do to get unfettered access to the web.

@ Doppelschwert

Yes they stated that information in one of the official updates, but I'm not sure which one, or if it was a later comment or part of the update

• Like 1

If they want meaningful feedback on stuff like talents, a certain amount of character advancement has to be in. You could do that with an "arena" type demo, or you could have a section with optional quests and accelerated XP awards.

(I'm looking forward to the commentary but won't play the beta. I prefer to go straight to the real deal.)

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

If they want meaningful feedback on stuff like talents, a certain amount of character advancement has to be in. You could do that with an "arena" type demo, or you could have a section with optional quests and accelerated XP awards.

(I'm looking forward to the commentary but won't play the beta. I prefer to go straight to the real deal.)

Yeah but then they have to build the arena :p We'll probably get a wilderness area or two.

Thank you for the information but im not interested in being a beta tester. I could have said nothing about it but i thought some people are still sane enough to want to play a game rather then write bug reports like real beta testers do when they take it serious... i will wait for the release and am sure everything gonna be tested out by others :D

@BAdler, can I still get access to the beta, if my backer tier is not high enough for it at the moment?

Edited by Mico Selva

UNF!

Get in there lads! Can't wait for it!

Bear in mind, this is a beta and not a demo so it will be about testing functionality and grabbing bugs by the scruff of the neck so I'd expect to see something similar to Wasteland 2's early access model where you get probably the first 6 hours or so. Character creation is a big must in any beta for me.

Edited by Ashen Rohk

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Well that's surprising to get told this on a Monday, no complaints though. So August 18 is day after Gen Con, and I have been theorizing the game play footage would premiere there, and Beta would follow, but looks like it's sooner than I anticipated. Better sooner than later, so we can help fix the bugs. They're still fixing hundreds of bugs each patch it seems like on the BG EE games!

No matter, they will only prove a slight delay... *dimension door*

Edited by Grimo88
  • Like 2

I imagine there'll be a few people who'll want to buy a beta key / upgrade their tier or something. Hopefully they get that part of the Backer website sorted out before then.

They already said elsewhere that they want to encourage players to post Let's Plays etc., so that would imply "no." Keeping track of so many NDA's would be a major PITA too.

I assure you I will be posting video of it, I want the game to sell damnit!!!

That said, great news!  I told you forumites it would be late august or early september!  This is also great because it gives me time to get my Eternity fix before Destiny officially launches on September 9th.

• Like 3

I imagine there'll be a few people who'll want to buy a beta key / upgrade their tier or something. Hopefully they get that part of the Backer website sorted out before then.

I added a beta key to my pledge when they first rolled out the backer site months ago. Is it no longer possible to do that?

I really don't know if I should play the beta. On the one hand, I really want to help iron out any issues PoE might still have, provide feedback in case there are things I really don't like (or do), and get a bit of experience building characters.

On the other hand, I don't want to get spoiled too much, or become too familiar with a game ending that "new and exciting" feel that games have when you first play them.

I feel that if I want to debate about topics coming up, having some hands-on experience puts me in a better position to argue, but I wonder if that's needed.

Advice?

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I really don't know if I should play the beta. On the one hand, I really want to help iron out any issues PoE might still have, provide feedback in case there are things I really don't like (or do), and get a bit of experience building characters.

On the other hand, I don't want to get spoiled too much, or become too familiar with a game ending that "new and exciting" feel that games have when you first play them.

I feel that if I want to debate about topics coming up, having some hands-on experience puts me in a better position to argue, but I wonder if that's needed.

As long as they don't pick some random part of the story to spoil, I'm not bothered. It makes most sense to me to put the first hour or two of the start of the game in beta. That way, you'll just be picking up where you left off when it releases.

Hey, everybody. I just wanted to announce that we have decided on a release date for the Backer Beta: August 18th.

We will discuss all of the particulars in a formal Kickstarter announcement, but we wanted you to hear about it first.

You really saved yourselves from getting an earfull from me there. ;)

I was about to write an excessive whine post when I saw the announcement on Facebook that you could get some Hands-on time with PoE at Gamescom.

I had sworn to myself to not return there, as the trains are overloaded, the Halls are always filled to the brim and you have to wait hours in line to get your 10mins of allotted gametime.

With this, you have saved me from that hell and I still get to play. Best of thanks.

Edited by Quadrone
  • Like 1