Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

Well that's surprising to get told this on a Monday, no complaints though. So August 18 is day after Gen Con, and I have been theorizing the game play footage would premiere there, and Beta would follow, but looks like it's sooner than I anticipated. Better sooner than later, so we can help fix the bugs. They're still fixing hundreds of bugs each patch it seems like on the BG EE games!

I'm hoping this is more of a combat/character creation tech demo than anything else. Part of me doesn't want to know the story and would rather wait until it's fully released. I'll be waiting for people to mention what it will be like. If it's a demo to test things including if it works on your computer I'll try it out. If it's part of the story I might leave it and wait for the full game.

• Like 5

I'm hoping this is more of a combat/character creation tech demo than anything else. Part of me doesn't want to know the story and would rather wait until it's fully released. I'll be waiting for people to mention what it will be like. If it's a demo to test things including if it works on your computer I'll try it out. If it's part of the story I might leave it and wait for the full game.

I just came to say this.

• Like 4

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Hey, everybody. I just wanted to announce that we have decided on a release date for the Backer Beta: August 18th.

When I came into this thread, I was hoping it would be on my birthday.

I was not expecting it to. I was still expecting to write a "a birthday present" post, though.

I was not expecting it to be on my birthday.

But now I'm just so happy.

• Like 4

Good stuff. And right in the middle of my holidays in China. Hopefully I can download it past the great firewall. :p

Well, Obsidian, Steam and GOG are all accessible from here - I guess it depends on where they upload it to, but both the likely candidates (obsidian.net and steam) shouldn't have a dl problem :)

Just make sure you bring your laptop over ;)

Whereabouts you headed? (Big cities have places with free wifi ;) )

(Youtube on the other hand is not so easy)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Well, Obsidian, Steam and GOG are all accessible from here - I guess it depends on where they upload it to, but both the likely candidates (obsidian.net and steam) shouldn't have a dl problem :)

Just make sure you bring your laptop over ;)

Whereabouts you headed? (Big cities have places with free wifi ;) )

(Youtube on the other hand is not so easy)

I'm hoping the beta demo will be available from the Obsidian Eternity site (unlikely) or GOG. I prefer not to use Steam.

And yeah, Free wi-fi is pretty good in China. It's great when you just connect and no need for passwords or anything. Just connect and start surfing the net. :) Been there quite a few times all over the country. Beijing, Chengde, Tianjin, Shanghai, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Jiangsu, Huangshan mountain, Shenzhen, etc.. With this trip, I'll mainly be around Jiangsu (staying on an island on the Yangtze river) and taking a week in Sichuan, Chengdu, Jiuzhaigou Valley, Mount Emei and Leshan. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

As far as I can remember, they once said that the beta would take part in an optional part of the game world in order to avoid spoilers related to the main quest. However, I don't have any source available for this claim, so sorry.

I'd say that this at least makes sense as most modern games have demos where they drop you in a part of the game world where you only go during mid game to show some advanced features. This also ensures that the work done on the beta areas is not subtracted from the work on the actual game.

Edited by Doppelschwert