Divinity: Original Sin

I have no idea. Swen & Co really liked interacting with the fans and getting their input, but they almost killed themselves during that KS - so a kickstarter is really tough going.

Also, perhaps I'm all wrong on this, but isn't pc games faring much worse now on Kickstarter? I have this feeling that this model for financing a game is a bit saturated and people are somewhat sppoked after a number of kickstarters not being what they had hoped for (or not even near that).

Yeah that makes sense as well, its more and difficult to convince people to part with there money when there have been several  subpar and disappointing  KS games

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On the subject at hand, the more time pass the more my experience with divinity original sin becomes negative.  Unless you have a committed friend to play this game with, I strongly recommend to stay away from it. 

Its a very bad single player game, which is why so many didn't finish it yet.

It's definitely designed with co-op in mind but after so many lean years one doesn't simply dismiss a party-based CRPG of such scale as "very bad". :)

The key to a good party base game are the interactions between the characters which make them feel life like, you will not find a baldurs gate, planescape torment or dragon age in divinity original sin not even near.

On tablet. Briefly: nope. Don't need it myself. Can't assume that is 'key'.

Of course very few finish it, it's a gigantic game compared to most games today and even the shortest & most popular games have low finishing percentages. 10-20% is the norm.

Dos does have a poor endgame like most rpgs, but holds up well until end of the hiberheim / luculla hub.

It will be playable in one year.

Maybe they should release an "enhanced" edition like with Twitcher 3.

That doesn't bother me, I'm happy to wait that long

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am really happy for them. Some issues aside (not so interesting story and the game being a cakewalk in the late game sections), I really enjoyed it and it is currently my GOTY. I spent almost 100 hours in less than three weeks with the game. I haven't done that in many years.

Pillars of Eternity will probably not go over a million.  Neither Alpha Protocol or Dungeon Siege III managed to break that mark.  Granted those are very different games, but if we are looking at Obsidian's selling power based solely on their name, it's clearly not strong enough to pull in a million in sales without some extra name power.  Plus both of those games had the benefit of being multi-platform, so it's an obstacle for PoE to sell only to PC gamers.  

But why does it need to sell a million?  It's limited to one platform, it already raised $4 million from a small audience, and it's a new property.  It's a niche product.  It will probably wow the RPG crowd, but so did Divinity.  It will sell hundreds of thousands of copies, but a million is about as likely as it was for Divinity.  It's an unrealistic expectation.

No matter how you slice it, if PE doesn't sell a million copies it's a BUST. DS3 and AP are irrelevant garbage.

Why?

edit:  Since you didn't answer this earlier, maybe I am not being clear.  What makes that million units line the difference between boom and bust?

Edited by Hurlshot

No matter how you slice it, if PE doesn't sell a million copies it's a BUST. DS3 and AP are irrelevant garbage.

Why?

edit:  Since you didn't answer this earlier, maybe I am not being clear.  What makes that million units line the difference between boom and bust?

When Volourn says something is garbage; don't expect to ever get an answer why. Everything involved in said garbage is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Grande finale You have totally, completely, and utterly finished the game! Woooo!!!!1

This is the achievement you get for finishing the game, and only 3.4% of the players who own the game on Steam have it.

How great can the game be if people don't even bother to finish it.

Not finishing a game is not a measurement of how fun (or unfun) that game is. Instead, it's just the nature of gamers. 90% of all gamers never finish the games they play.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/finishing.videogames.snow/index.html

• Like 1

Not finishing a game is not a measurement of how fun (or unfun) that game is. Instead, it's just the nature of gamers. 90% of all gamers never finish the games they play.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/finishing.videogames.snow/index.html

I finish almost every game I've played, but I am the exception. Many of my friends don't ever finish their games. So you seem to be correct Stun.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Immersion, Immersion, Immersion - There isn't any.

What?

It's Sunday morning. Let me report my weekend experience with D:OS.

OK. I have been given a rare 3 day weekend which began Friday. So, Friday morning I decided to browse Steam for a game to buy. Divinity: Original sin caught my eye. I had not been following its development so I spent about an hour researching it. I went to Metacritic. I came here. I looked at youtube etc. Everything pointed to the fact that I should be playing this game. So I bought it off Steam.

Then I began playing it. The hours passed. The entire world flew by me. I did not go to bed Friday night. And last night I was planning on watching the Mayweather vs. Maidona II fight on PPV. But I didn't do that either. Instead, I played D:OS. It is now Sunday morning. And this game has sucked me in thoroughly. I think I've gotten about 7 hours of sleep in the last 2 days, and I was playing rock-paper-scissors in my dreams for the majority of those 7 hours. lol If that's not immersion then I don't know what immersion is.

This game is fantastic. It scratches the itch. It fills the void. If a game of this quality and polish can be done with just $4 million, then I shudder at the bloat and utter financial incompentence from other companies who can't create a game with HALF the content and depth of D:OS even though they've got 10X the funding to work with.

• Like 3

Immersion, Immersion, Immersion - There isn't any.

What?

It's Sunday morning. Let me report my weekend experience with D:OS.

OK. I have been given a rare 3 day weekend which began Friday. So, Friday morning I decided to browse Steam for a game to buy. Divinity: Original sin caught my eye. I had not been following its development so I spent about an hour researching it. I went to Metacritic. I came here. I looked at youtube etc. Everything pointed to the fact that I should be playing this game. So I bought it off Steam.

Then I began playing it. The hours passed. The entire world flew by me. I did not go to bed Friday night. And last night I was planning on watching the Mayweather vs. Maidona II fight on PPV. But I didn't do that either. Instead, I played D:OS. It is now Sunday morning. And this game has sucked me in thoroughly. I think I've gotten about 7 hours of sleep in the last 2 days, and I was playing rock-paper-scissors in my dreams for the majority of those 7 hours. lol If that's not immersion then I don't know what immersion is.

This game is fantastic. It scratches the itch. It fills the void. If a game of this quality and polish can be done with just $4 million, then I shudder at the bloat and utter financial incompentence from other companies who can't create a game with HALF the content and depth of D:OS even though they've got 10X the funding to work with.

Somebody really likes D:OS. Maybe I should give it a try.

There's a nice (but tragically underused) feature in D:OS that I really hope to see in other games: the ability to shape some spells more tactically than is normally allowed. Firefly, for example, allows you to draw your own "path of fire". And spells like Teleport that allow you choose target and destination. It's a pity that Larian didn't make more spells and abilities that require more than aim-and-click-once to use. Modern CRPGs need to use such sandbox elements much more boldly because they make combat fun and justify adding tougher enemies and more intelligent AI.

What level are you now? I hate to rain on your parade but after Cyseal it's not nearly as great.

"There's a nice (but tragically underused) feature in D:OS that I really hope to see in other games: the ability to shape some spells more tactically than is normally allowed. Firefly, for example, allows you to draw your own "path of fire". And spells like Teleport that allow you choose target and destination."

That's the best part of the game by far. Charcetrs, writing, story, equipment, easiness of combat, etc. are all horrible or below par but that kind of stuff is fun and cool.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.