Divinity: Original Sin

Its a nice game with fun combat, good coop(very hard to find long terms partners for) and decent music. 

There are severe drawbacks though:

Loot - Feels like an mmorpg - diablo. this was also my biggest drawback on witcher 2 ridiculous loot.  Items improve vastly humorously the more you go without any regards to style or grace, you just keep receiving the same old loot with upgraded stats - this is done in order to encourage you to open every container there is and spend a big awful lot of time in  the market and resell those items to the poor old fisherman who you turned into a weapons dealer. 

Shops - Badly implemented Restock - leveled loot un appropriate amount of gold

Lack of help from the locals - the lack of help from the locals and arbitrary high price for skill books from the local wizard of cyceal encourage you to turn to thievery, early on in order to survive and become the world greatest painting thief.

Immersion, Immersion, Immersion - There isn't any.

Arbitrary enemies level - lack of free exploration - Its a linear game hiding itself as free roam, a big setback from the baldurs gate series - there is a huge gap between level 1 and level 5 even though it doesn't take you long to become level 5. this is done in order to push you down a certain path, Its done without any tact.

Boring single player game - You can't play it for long on your own without getting bored, this will lead to a big waste of time while you try finding someone to play with.

Short game - medium to small content game with lots of menial tasks aimed at prolonging it.

Overall the game is a 5/10 single player game and a 8/10 coop game - for total gaming experience I would rate it 7/10, it's worthwhile trying for rpg and coop fans but doesn't come near my top games of all time list.

Its big success and public appeal can only be attributed to the lack of solid plot driven coops out there, I don't know if it was worth the trouble for me getting this game because of all the hardships of finding a reliable playing partner for such a long coop, I think this game is most suited for married couples or young brothers living under the same house.

Edited by Erez

Grande finale You have totally, completely, and utterly finished the game! Woooo!!!!1

This is the achievement you get for finishing the game, and only 3.4% of the players who own the game on Steam have it.

How great can the game be if people don't even bother to finish it.

Grande finale You have totally, completely, and utterly finished the game! Woooo!!!!1

This is the achievement you get for finishing the game, and only 3.4% of the players who own the game on Steam have it.

How great can the game be if people don't even bother to finish it.

It is a very long game. All I care about is if the game is fun while I play it, I dont have some obligation to complete everything. There are a ton of games that this holds true for.

• Like 1

"This is the achievement you get for finishing the game, and only 3.4% of the players who own the game on Steam have it.

How great can the game be if people don't even bother to finish it."

PRO FACT: Most people don't finish most games.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

DOS *is* overrated. that doesnt' stop it from being a fun little game, but when I hear peons claiming 'best game ever', yeah, overrated for sure.

Considering the games drought that hit this summer and the fact that DOS is the most decent (I'd daresay best) game that has come out this year. Those that tend to hyperbole would no doubt exalt it as such.

Still, I'd say this before and I will say it again: it needs a better questing system and journal descriptions.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"This is the achievement you get for finishing the game, and only 3.4% of the players who own the game on Steam have it.

How great can the game be if people don't even bother to finish it."

PRO FACT: Most people don't finish most games.

Really?

I find that hard to believe, any links to back that up?

I always try to finish every game I play, sometimes to the point of frustration where I am not having that much fun but I don't want to feel I wasted money. In fact there are only 2 games I know I haven't finished, The Guild and Far Cry 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not hard for me to believe, I fairly rarely finish mine. More than 3.4% granted, but less than 34%.

Interesting :geek:

How far do you get in games? And what is the reason you quit before the end?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Any number of reasons really, adding that I don't necessarily start, or even buy games, with the intention of finishing them. Game developers know this and tend to have half-baked endings anyway. Whether I finish a game or not tends to be a rolling target, any given play session with any given game might turn out to be the last, and I wouldn't necessarily know at the beginning of it. I've abandoned games where I'd estimate I'm 90% or more of the way through.

I might get distracted by another game and leave it too long to get back into it. Maybe I get burned out by repetitive gameplay or relentlessly grim plotting. Or it could be sudden, a single narrative event or gameplay shift that totally loses me partway through. Perhaps I run into a showstopping bug. And don't discount that it could just a flat out bad game.

P.S. Now that I think about it, if I count the games I've bought but haven't even started, 3.4% sounds even more accurate, heh.

EDIT: In a sentence, I'd say the best explanation would be the inverse of the question. "Why should I finish this game?" It's up to each game to answer that question, and most of them fail it.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

DOS *is* overrated. that doesnt' stop it from being a fun little game, but when I hear peons claiming 'best game ever', yeah, overrated for sure.

Considering the games drought that hit this summer and the fact that DOS is the most decent (I'd daresay best) game that has come out this year. Those that tend to hyperbole would no doubt exalt it as such.

Still, I'd say this before and I will say it again: it needs a better questing system and journal descriptions.

Drought?  Plenty of decent games came out this summer and for the the whole year.  However, there is no doubt though D:OS is probably one the best among them( though I did had more fun playing Dark Souls 2 and Shovel Knight).

In the past you used to pay 30$-50$ for a game or pirate it. Nowdays when the little kids of the 90... have money to buy their own video game on steam and the abundance of steam games you can find yourself buying plenty of games, some you will never get to play or finish. Its easier to stop a game in the middle when you have a choice and after you only payed 5$ for it. It gets even easier when they shove their old bad games down your throats for free.

I had many games I never touched from steam bundles and many games I stopped playing due to them not being fun, I also have many games I have laying around for more than a year I plan to get to someday... This change in gaming atmosphere has lead me to peruse shorter games with higher proved quality and I still fail to finish games. Here is my list payed  I stopped in the middle-beginning and have deleted them forever from my life

Edited by Erez

The amount of money I spend on a game never affects how long I'll play it, some of my $5 games have kept my attention raptly to the end, some of my full price games barely kept me engaged for a couple hours.  Granted I'll never buy a sequel for full price if that happens, but I don't force myself to play something I don't want.

Life is too short, and there are too many great games to play to be overly committed to one.

• Like 1

EDIT: In a sentence, I'd say the best explanation would be the inverse of the question. "Why should I finish this game?" It's up to each game to answer that question, and most of them fail it.

This is excellent.  For me, historically, the question has been "Would I be having more fun starting a new game of Civilization than I would continuing to play this game?"  Lately, CK2 has taken the place of Civilization. 

(Sidenote: This also applies if the game I'm playing is Civ/CK2.  Playing out the string in big strategy games is far less fun than starting over.) 

Anyhow, my D:OS party is level 12 or so, running around Hiber-someplace, and it's getting pretty close to failing this test. 

The amount of money I spend on a game never affects how long I'll play it, some of my $5 games have kept my attention raptly to the end, some of my full price games barely kept me engaged for a couple hours.  Granted I'll never buy a sequel for full price if that happens, but I don't force myself to play something I don't want.

Life is too short, and there are too many great games to play to be overly committed to one.

The amount of money you spend on game influence how many games you will have. the more games, the more picky you will become. The more alternatives you have to how you spend your time. Therefor in modern days it is much more likely too not finish a game especially with steam highly successful sales strategy.

Edited by Erez

"Therefor in modern days it is much more likely too not finish a game especially with steam highly successful sales strategy.'

ERROR!

People not finishing games is NOT a new phenomen. It's been true forever.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Therefor in modern days it is much more likely too not finish a game especially with steam highly successful sales strategy.'

ERROR!

Volo, you need to understand that we just arrived at the age when we have too much stuff going on to dedicate ourselves to virtual toils and wanderings. Its new to us.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

ERROR!

ERROR!

Volo, you need to understand that we just arrived at the age when we have too much stuff going on to dedicate ourselves to virtual toils and wanderings. Its new to us.

I am still surprised by the number of people who for a variety of reasons just don't finish the games they purchase

I was under the mistaken impression that generally most people finish the games they play. Let it not be said these forums aren't source of information :geek:

John Milton 

ERROR!

People used to pirate games more in the past which equals free games. The amount of games I buy now in comparasion to the amount of games I bought when i was growing up, has changed drastically.  

If you give a quick look to the games of the 1990.. or early 2000.. i am sure that you will have troubles finishing any of them. Video games have become better over time and we have also have become harder to please due to our search for new experiences.

ERROR!

ERROR!

I am still surprised by the number of people who for a variety of reasons just don't finish the games they purchase

I was under the mistaken impression that generally most people finish the games they play. Let it not be said these forums aren't source of information  :geek:

On the subject at hand, the more time pass the more my experience with divinity original sin becomes negative.  Unless you have a committed friend to play this game with, I strongly recommend to stay away from it.

Its a very bad single player game, which is why so many didn't finish it yet.

Edited by Erez

ERROR!

People used to pirate games more in the past which equals free games. The amount of games I buy now in comparasion to the amount of games I bought when i was growing up, has changed drastically.  

If you give a quick look to the games of the 1990.. or early 2000.. i am sure that you will have troubles finishing any of them. Video games have become better over time and we have also have become harder to please due to our search for new experiences.

ERROR!

ERROR!

I was under the mistaken impression that generally most people finish the games they play. Let it not be said these forums aren't source of information  :geek:

On the subject at hand, the more time pass the more my experience with divinity original sin becomes negative.  Unless you have a committed friend to play this game with, I strongly recommend to stay away from it.

I haven't  played this game yet so I don't know much about it, why do you suggest needing a committed friend?

John Milton 

It's definitely designed with co-op in mind but after so many lean years one doesn't simply dismiss a party-based CRPG of such scale as "very bad". :)

It's definitely designed with co-op in mind but after so many lean years one doesn't simply dismiss a party-based CRPG of such scale as "very bad". :)

The key to a good party base game are the interactions between the characters which make them feel life like, you will not find a baldurs gate, planescape torment or dragon age in divinity original sin not even near.

I haven't  played this game yet so I don't know much about it, why do you suggest needing a committed friend?

People lose interest quick in this game less than 4% finished it. In order to stop a playthrough half way through. so take to statistics from above now cut them in half because you are two people. 

The quality of the game also influence the chances you will finish it. Original sin despite all the hype isn't a 10. its a coop, rated 8. with plenty of statistics (finishing statistics) to back it up. if you want to finish it you have to find someone who you know will be able to walk that path with you.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I'd do well waiting a couple of weeks/months more playing D:OS! :)

From PCGamer yesterday:

Divinity: Original Sin is a really good game, thanks in no small part to the 19,541 people who threw nearly a million bucks at it on Kickstarter. Yet in spite of that success, and the resulting establishment of Larian as a reliable place for your crowdfunding cash, studio boss Swen Vincke says it probably won't go back to Kickstarter for its next game.

"I hate to think what the game would've been if we didn't have Kickstarter," Vincke told Gamespot, which sounds to me very much like the lead-in to an announcement of a new Kickstarter. But then he changed direction.

"I don't think it would be correct to go and fish in the pool of crowdfunding investment again," he continued. "I think that there's others that could use that investment."

He did say that he hopes to take advantage of community input for future projects, much as it did throughout the development of Divinity: Original Sin, describing it as "a very great positive for the gameplay experience that results at the end of the day." But what those projects might be, he did not reveal.

"There's nothing yet to announce," he said. "It will be very calm on the announcement front for a couple of months, as we're preparing our new things," he said. Larian is currently working on updates to Divinity: Original Sin that will add two new companions to the game, new skills, end-game rebalancing for the warrior and ranger classes, and a "much better, harder difficulty level."

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It seems I'd do well waiting a couple of weeks/months more playing D:OS! :)

From PCGamer yesterday:

Divinity: Original Sin is a really good game, thanks in no small part to the 19,541 people who threw nearly a million bucks at it on Kickstarter. Yet in spite of that success, and the resulting establishment of Larian as a reliable place for your crowdfunding cash, studio boss Swen Vincke says it probably won't go back to Kickstarter for its next game.

"I hate to think what the game would've been if we didn't have Kickstarter," Vincke told Gamespot, which sounds to me very much like the lead-in to an announcement of a new Kickstarter. But then he changed direction.

"I don't think it would be correct to go and fish in the pool of crowdfunding investment again," he continued. "I think that there's others that could use that investment."

He did say that he hopes to take advantage of community input for future projects, much as it did throughout the development of Divinity: Original Sin, describing it as "a very great positive for the gameplay experience that results at the end of the day." But what those projects might be, he did not reveal.

"There's nothing yet to announce," he said. "It will be very calm on the announcement front for a couple of months, as we're preparing our new things," he said. Larian is currently working on updates to Divinity: Original Sin that will add two new companions to the game, new skills, end-game rebalancing for the warrior and ranger classes, and a "much better, harder difficulty level."

Interesting post, I wonder what's the real reason they won't use funding systems like KS again? I wonder if its more to do with the criticism they received for not adhering to what people perceived the game was suppose to be about ?

John Milton 

I have no idea. Swen & Co really liked interacting with the fans and getting their input, but they almost killed themselves during that KS - so a kickstarter is really tough going.

Also, perhaps I'm all wrong on this, but isn't pc games faring much worse now on Kickstarter? I have this feeling that this model for financing a game is a bit saturated and people are somewhat sppoked after a number of kickstarters not being what they had hoped for (or not even near that).

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***