Divinity: Original Sin

Greetings,

I"m an early backer Yay! I would have been sad to miss this.

For my first post I'll just say that I have about 150 hours in D:0S and have read far more opinions on it than I care to count.

The list of Pros to the game are substantial in number but the Cons are as well for a player like me. (I won't list them at this late stage).

In short, NWN 2 and KOTOR 2 are my favorite games (still play them and the first installments both) but also like strategy/strategic games of various flavors.

The biggest disappointment for me was lack of a rogue class with the characteristics I've grown to define them as and love.

But even more importantly, it didn't satisfy my RPG itch, be it the story, companions, dialog etc.

I will replay the game and it deserves a high rating for quality and implementation but it just isn't magical to me like the aforementioned games and others such as Baldur's gate. I actually like the regular Divinity series better in many respects.

PIllars of Eternity looks magical and obviously I like (am an addict that needs help rather) Obsidian games so I am just a tad excited for early release and the finished product.

That said, the developers and the game deserve major respect. They have earned it and I think the game will only get better with time, mods etc.

There is room in the world for both games and to those who enjoy them it is win-win.

Well, there are no classes, so you can't expect a full on Rogue class.

There are plenty of ways to make one though, using daggers, backstabbing, stealth and a whole bunch of Rogue-skills.

And it pains me to agree with Volourn; yes, the final boss is easy. Allowing the player to just infinitely stun it to death cannot make it different than that. But... I don't really mind. It fits well, and I prefer it above having to suddenly do stuff different than the 70 hours before in a rigerous patern and that for 45 minutes, and if you fail you may start all over...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, there are no classes, so you can't expect a full on Rogue class.

There are plenty of ways to make one though, using daggers, backstabbing, stealth and a whole bunch of Rogue-skills.

The biggest disappointment for me was lack of a rogue class with the characteristics I've grown to define them as and love.

I don't agree. Every other class you can build true.  The rogue lacks dual-wielding, the backstabbing is arguably quite clunky, the trap system is questionable, there are no rogue henchman as of yet because most importantly the rogue isn't needed. Breaking chests doesn't break items, sneak is of limited value -- depending on playstyle --- And....

if you look at my comment I comparing to rogueplay I am accustom too. I did not find this adjustment with the other classes.  A rogue wasn't even particularly useful sneaking past the Deathknights --- the whole rogue system is diluted.

For those who like it, I have no quarrel ....but don't tell me it is a "good classic rogue system" or that because there are no true classes I should just live with it or get creative...that isn't the point.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read any of your posts, because I don't want to spoil the game. I have yet to go beyond the starting town, which I tried out during the alpha and the beta, and I really look forward to it! :)

And now I can do that safe in the knowledge that there's yet another big update helping me get the most fun out of my beloved D:OS:

Update V1.0.130
21 augusti - Larian_Octaaf
Hi everyone,

This update mostly brings some overdue fixes on the code and balancing side of things, although there are some small improvements to UI as well. Several story and ganeplay fixes have also been incorporated.

We've also done some re-balancing in the Dark Forrest area, which should hopefully make things a little more difficult.

You can check out the full changelist below:

V1.0.130:

Code fixes:
  • Leech only works in your turn
  • Rotation corruption fix in savegames
  • Unique object fix
  • Allow resurrect skills when vision is blocked
  • Added level names to localization
  • Added combination stats to loca parser
  • Added journal to loca parser
  • Fixed loca parsing paths
  • Localization of secrets fixed
  • Fixed bleeding damage scale
  • Next character in UI follows order of the character chain
  • Localized level names in lobby
  • No more invisible armour after character creation
  • No more double dialog log line after load
  • Ability, talent and stat tooltips in character creation take level into account
  • Fixed combinations with skulls, bones and sinew
  • Fixed henchman rotation in henchman ui
  • Updated Iggy, support for a fallback font
  • Fixed faulty dialog cleanup
  • Fixed bad savegame crash, now throws an error
  • Updated Troll and deamon voices to be more brutal
  • Tuned texture streamer to fix some objects using a lower resolution than needed
  • Texture streamer is more responsive now
  • Fixed players not getting the kick or refused connection message
  • Fixed character "walking through walls" when experiencing connection problems

Mac specific:
  • Fixed story random problem
  • Fixed memory crash
  • OpenGL experimental mode
  • Fixes to OpenGL renderer
  • Using ‘Terminal’ app you can now enable following tweaks:
    1) Precise mouse tracking for low-end systems and for ‘touch’ to click functionality: defaults write com.larian.dos DelayMouseClicks -bool true
    2) Completely disable any ‘bleeding’ notification centre popups: defaults write com.larian.dos DisablePopups -bool true
    3) Enable performance GL tweaks: defaults write com.larian.dos EnableExperimentalGL -bool true

User Interface:
  • Added sorting in trade UI
  • No graphical artefact in scrolling of saveload, options, ...
  • Player portraits chain fix
  • Panel position reset fix
  • Improved long text visibility in dropdown menus
  • Enlarged container UI limit

Story and gameplay:
  • Made summons a bit less interesting for default targeting (AI)
  • Totem should not debuff specializations
  • Clarified error message during character creation when you don't have required skills or talents
  • Fixed end dialog on some dialogs
  • Added sound effect to burning ship
  • Fixed quest lose condition of burning ship
  • Removed burning status when ship is destroyed
  • Fixed the gossip keyword
  • Fixed philospohy of death, book and quest
  • Fixed Snorri tomb icon
  • Moved William water well, he got back at the wrong location
  • Fixed the prison key, it used to lie on the ground but now it's in the guards pocket
  • Hiberheim watcher synchronizaiton fix, the trap is always in sync now
  • Lawrence and Nadia dialog fix
  • Removed Free personality, changed Spirit to Free Spirit personality
  • These are all combat fixes, also most DF characters have been remade with new root templates because the level override didn't always work
  • turn ramon's chest indestructable

Note: for story and gameplay fixes, it is possible that a new game has to be started since not all story fixes can be pushed into existing savegames.
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If anyone is interested in an informal review from an avid Obsidian and Neverwinter Nights/Baldur's Gate/Kotor fan then feel free to look here. http://steamcommunity.com/id/raubrey/recommended/230230/

No spoilers and I am a tad critical, but as fair as my bias and journalistic background would allow. I may or may not represent the majority -- but this was written after many hours of discussion and debate with other D:OS players and months on the forum overall. So for those on the fence or otherwise...here goes.

P.S. I am also curious if other BG/NWN fans feel similar that D:OS is good per se, but not great, namely for the reasons I listed or otherwise. Though after 22 pages, not sure if most are all talked out about it.

Edited by Sondai
  • Like 1

Funnily enough this new patch broke quite a few things with a 80% resit hard-cap.

Steam users can get easily screwed by auto-update.

Auto-update is demon spawn. My PoE key will be used at GOG, me thinks, just in case gremlins decide to turn it back on.

Edited by Sondai

D:OS is overated, don't get me wrong the game is refreshing and fun, but after than you finish the game, it does not have much to offer ("replayability"). The most of the critics are a little biased because we all were starving for something like this, besides, the most of the user reviews were made before completing the game (the first chapter is excellent, but the rest is... fair).

The game is overrated because you don't want to play again after the first 60+ hour run?   :rolleyes:

The critics are all biased because the developers catered to the needs of their audience?   :huh:

Hurl, don't be a troll. You know what they meant. And those points are valid.

• Like 1

The game is overrated because you don't want to play again after the first 60+ hour run?   :rolleyes:

The critics are all biased because the developers catered to the needs of their audience?   :huh:

Hurl, don't be a troll. You know what they meant. And those points are valid.

I'm taking issue with the idea that the game is overrated.  He says the game is refreshing and fun, right after calling it overrated.  That seems unreasonable.  Is it good or not?  He sunk a ton of time into it, but he leads with a criticism that isn't really even aimed at the game, but rather how it has been received by the public.  It just seems like an odd way to post your thoughts on the game.

I didn't even finish the game.  I petered out around 30 hours in.  But the game was fun and refreshing for those hours, so I'm not going to call it out as overrated.  Overrated against what?  It's not like it's outselling Call of Duty or the Kim Kardashian game. 

• Like 1

"Overrated" is new-media-speak for "I would like to rustle the jimmies of the folks who like this without clearly stating an opinion that I might be asked to back up."

I am enjoying this game, although I am playing it quite slowly, and I sometimes stall for a few days when I get to a point where I need to spend some time doing non-combaty stuff.  The city exploration, NPC interaction, and inventory management is a drag. 

Alright, clearly I didn't arrange my thoughts. :facepalm:

D:OS is a good game in general, many aspects of the game are excellent, but it lacks what I think is fundamental for games like these, replayability (others may disagree), because of the following reasons:

• The story, quests and dialogs are not so engaging, specially after Cyseal.
  • It does not have as much choice and consequence as it claims.
  • The mechanics of the game are not complex and do not allow a variety of builds to reroll.
  • The combat after the first gameplay may become tedious (it did for me, some combats are too slow).

Replayability is barely mentioned in most of the reviews that I have read about D:OS, and this is the first reason why I think it is OVERRATED. The second reason is that most of user reviews, are based on the first hours of gameplay (Cyseal); and the quality of the game diminishes greatly after the first area (cyseal), due to that it was the only area which was thorougly beta tested. Lastly, the third reason is that the most of us were starving for a good old style game, which lowered our standards slightly towards D:OS.

I hope that this clears up what I wanted to say, If there is still something you do not understand is because english is not even close to my native language.  :biggrin:

• Like 3

P.S. You all made up while I was typing. lol

There are enough shouting matches and e-peen arguments on the D:OS forum and I'm glad to see they are nixed here. Eternity will be subject to some of the same extreme biases and inflated expectations unfortunately due to the lack of good (modernized) classic-style RPGs.

And I am not anxious to see the nearly inevitable flame wars comparing the two, when there is plenty of room in the world for both games and then some. Though with any luck I'll be too busy enjoying PoE or other up-and-comings to notice.

That said, I agree with Vold and do not believe gameplay hours invalidate an opinion or observation. I know I've mindlessly droned though games before that I felt were mostly average. (Not that I thought D:OS was mindless but it just wasn't an A+ experience for me).

In the end, most of this is just opinion not worth getting hyped over (translation: I am right agree with me or else.).

Edited by Sondai
  • Like 1

While I do pretty much agree that you can end up making every class the same, if you are working towards optimizing the classes (i.e. only putting skill points in two to three skills), then you can come out with some very varied and very powerful classes.

For instance, a lot of people will just put the minimum amount of points into Hydrophist in order to get access to Healing spells, but without a specialization in Hydro, healing becomes useless.

D:OS allows some variability of builds, but it's very limited, in comparison to games like NWN or BG.

For example, in NWN you could create the following builds with the monk:

Monk/Cleric/Fighter (Unarmed Melee High AB Magical/Elemental Damage)

Monk/Cleric/Paladin (Caster high AC and saves)

Monk/Paladin/Cot (Unarmed Melee very high AB to Knockdown)

Monk/Ranger/Rogue (AKA Corner Sneaker)

Monk/Sorcerer/RDD (True Strike Devastating Critical Monk)

Monk/Druid/Paladin (Stun Fister Dragon)

Monk/Sorcerer/Arcane Archer (Fast High AB Archer)

... and many more.

This is just 1 of the 11 base classes; and all of the builds I mentioned before were played very differently.

Edited by Vold

P.S. You all made up while I was typing. lol

There are enough shouting matches and e-peen arguments on the D:OS forum and I'm glad to see they are nixed here.

Sorry, I had some browser issues and couldn't reconnect until now but had this correction:

"There are enough shouting matches and e-peen arguments on the STEAM D:OS forum" -- not the regular forum.

I just didn't want to slight the fellow Larianites here or elsewhere, while Steam is just being Steam. :)

Edited by Sondai

Sure, it does. if someone claims a game is the best ever and it isn't that means the game is overrated. metacritic is for losers so it doesn't count  and what 'mainstream media'a re you talking about? What exactly is that? Oh, you eman NBC news doesnt' talk about it? Uh... NBC News doesn't really talk much about games at all. POINT. NOT FOUND. Majority  of gaming sites do talk about it.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sure, it does. if someone claims a game is the best ever and it isn't that means the game is overrated. metacritic is for losers so it doesn't count  and what 'mainstream media'a re you talking about? What exactly is that? Oh, you eman NBC news doesnt' talk about it? Uh... NBC News doesn't really talk much about games at all. POINT. NOT FOUND. Majority  of gaming sites do talk about it.

Overrated is the best word ever.

The game is overrated when you consider a few things:

How many 10s it has on Metacritic (I don't rate most my favorite games 10, not sure about others)

Many reviews, especially on Steam, were rated by people who didn't even fishing the game. Some are

Alpha reviews.

Too many pro and amateur reviewers have compared the game to Baldur's gate. That is mis-rated and misleading, if not overrated.

Few people have the background to review objectively, and some who do fail anyway.

That said...

D:OS deserves high marks in many areas -- and if you love or like the game ratings don't matter.

But as with many games, unfortunately too many people rely on ratings and social media thumbs up.

Another problem, is that most the raters fit a particular demographic that do not necessarily represent the plurality of current/potential buyers.

Most of us know that ratings are skewed and subject to heavy bias but unfortunately that isn't the case for the average consumer.

I really don't have a problem with the overall ratings on the game (not the 10s), because I think most people get their money out of it regardless. Most complaints are post  30-40 hours play, it seems (other than some early-play adaption).

Additionally, I hope Larian makes a killing off the game and is inspired to improve on this foundation as well as draw more quality developers to the genre. Same goes for Obsidian (please turn out a 9.5 gave, please :D

I like it. I give it 7.5-8.0 all things considered, even if my experience was closer to 6.5-7. I recognize that I have  expectations others may not. Heck, I even like DA 2, when not comparing it to Origins, and the gaming world tells me I'm wrong for that.

Ratings -- pfft. If it were not for the consumer havoc it causes and misappropriated funds, I wouldn't care.

Besides, KOTOR 2 (closely followed by NWN/BG et al) is the best game-to-date so there can't be more than one.

Edited by Sondai
  • Like 1