Divinity: Original Sin

srry just bought Elder Scrolls Online.

I saw this on Steam on special and I'm thinking about buying it as well ?

Elder scrolls Online is pretty nice. Never understood why it got such bad reputation. It is exactly like a SP Elder scrolls games in terms of quests except there is also MP and the world is just really really huge. 

• Like 1

So, playing most of the week in 1-hour nightly increments, I think I've gotten all I can out of wandering through Cyseal.  Probably wasn't wise of them to put so much uninterrupted looking-in-boxes and talking-to-folks content so early in the game.  The writing is okay-ish, but all the barrel-searching gets tedious.   They should've dropped a fight or two in there for variety's sake.

I have loads of crafting crap, and no clue how to use it.  I'd like to try crushing stuff with my mortar and pestle, or hitting things with a hammer, but it won't let me use them on the inventory screen.  I did find and anvil and such in town, and I think I figured out how to use them (at least enough to get an "insufficient Blacksmithing skill" message), but the recipes I'm finding seem to indicate that I can make things with just the stuff I'm carrying around.

That's pretty much the whole appeal of the game.

Unrestricted looting in Cyseal and figuring out crafting recipes with adventure game logic.

Don't rush those things as there really isn't much to the game afterwards.

I was just trying to figure out if there was a "mix these things" button in the interface that I couldn't find.  I was trying to right-click -> Use when I should've apparently just been dragging and dropping. 

Elder scrolls Online is pretty nice. Never understood why it got such bad reputation. It is exactly like a SP Elder scrolls games in terms of quests except there is also MP and the world is just really really huge. 

Is that a bad joke?

TESO is NOTHING like a SP Elder Scrolls. Maybe you don't give a **** about immersion in game but I do. Do you really want to argue that running throuh a world alone is the same as running through a world with thousands of others which is the probably the most unimmersive thing ever? I don't even talk about respawning enemies (even bosses) and the most stupid quest design somebody could think of.

TESO for MP is mediocre. TESO for SP is just crap.

This whole thread makes me sad. Especially that it's driven by someone who wallows in his own bigotted and arrogant view on games. Never feed the troll, guys.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Is that a bad joke?

Nah, ESO is exactly like the SP games, except you run into fellow adventurers that aren't your typical lifeless Bethesda NPC's.

Back to Divinity, it's actually made me set ESO aside for a bit, I was up way too late last night solving mysteries.

Is that a bad joke?

TESO is NOTHING like a SP Elder Scrolls. Maybe you don't give a **** about immersion in game but I do. Do you really want to argue that running throuh a world alone is the same as running through a world with thousands of others which is the probably the most unimmersive thing ever? I don't even talk about respawning enemies (even bosses) and the most stupid quest design somebody could think of.

This whole thread makes me sad. Especially that it's driven by someone who wallows in his own bigotted and arrogant view on games. Never feed the troll, guys.

Have you played it? Because the quest design is exactly like a SP Skyrim. The quests are long have a lot of story are not only kill that or that thing etc. As for immersion. The greatest thing about Elderscrolls is that even you play on the same server the world you are in is different. You are freeing cities, making decisions and all this forms your overall world and only your world.  Loot is  the same the crafting system is great as well. And on top of that you have a fun  PVP mode. It maybe not worth paying monthly for but if you play Elder scrolls as a SP alone and you like Skyrim you will have fun with Elder scrolls. 

Elder Scrolls Online instead of an orthodox RPG... I don't even know you people anymore.  :disguise:

Third playthrough starting up, marksman / backstabber.

• Like 5

Another thing about this game - it's so big and varied I can just play at one aspect and lose myself for a bit and not give a toss about the critical path. or, in fact, anything else. And because there are no instructions, I feel like the only bloke in the world figuring this **** out.

Which is of course nonsense but man it feels great.

I honestly think that a shedload of modern twentysomething games devs should be locked in a room with this game and told "this is how you do it, bitches."

Edit - developers and, especially, publishers.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

Another thing about this game - it's so big and varied I can just play at one aspect and lose myself for a bit and not give a toss about the critical path. or, in fact, anything else. And because there are no instructions, I feel like the only bloke in the world figuring this **** out.

That sounds really fun and is something I don't think I have experienced in ages, the idea of being "lost off the main story" and not really even caring that much

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is that a bad joke?

Have you played it? Because the quest design is exactly like a SP Skyrim. The quests are long have a lot of story are not only kill that or that thing etc. As for immersion. The greatest thing about Elderscrolls is that even you play on the same server the world you are in is different. You are freeing cities, making decisions and all this forms your overall world and only your world.  Loot is  the same the crafting system is great as well. And on top of that you have a fun  PVP mode. It maybe not worth paying monthly for but if you play Elder scrolls as a SP alone and you like Skyrim you will have fun with Elder scrolls. 

Yes, I have played it during the beta. Quest structure already sucked hard in Skyrim but at least it was kind of immersive. In TESO quests are just uninspired, boring and tedious. And no, there is ZERO immersion in TESO. Don't even argue about that because MMOs in general don't offer any immersion at all. If you really think there is any immersion in TESO, sorry, but then you don't even know what this word means...

And I liked Skyrim for what it is. At the same time I really hate TESO for what it is. it offers zero enjoyment for somebody who wants to role-play in a game in SP.

35167v4.jpg

Is that a bad joke?

Yes, I have played it during the beta. Quest structure already sucked hard in Skyrim but at least it was kind of immersive. In TESO quests are just uninspired, boring and tedious. And no, there is ZERO immersion in TESO. Don't even argue about that because MMOs in general don't offer any immersion at all. If you really think there is any immersion in TESO, sorry, but then you don't even know what this word means...

And I liked Skyrim for what it is. At the same time I really hate TESO for what it is. it offers zero enjoyment for somebody who wants to role-play in a game in SP.

One last thing. The beta was nothing like the actual game. I played both since I got access but what I played at launch was totally different in terms of atmosphere and immersion. The Beta I would agree with you. The Full game however not.  The Launch game is a HUGE SP game with online components. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on what your definition of immersion is, for me MMO do offer an immersive experience. And I'm not intentionally being argumentative, I truly believe that

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm speechless... :blink:

That's just so wrong. 

Anyway, back to D:OS.

Didn't you accuse someone a few posts back of wallowing in their own bigoted and arrogant view of games?  Maybe you might wanna reflect on that a bit?

Bethesda breaks my immersion every time I have to talk to an NPC using one of 5 recycled voices over and over again.  But hey, that's life.  There are enough redeeming qualities for me to ignore that for awhile in ES games.

Some people find inventory management to be tedious and immersive breaking, but that's a big part of Divinity, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. 

• Like 1

I'm speechless... :blink:

That's just so wrong. 

Anyway, back to D:OS.

Didn't you accuse someone a few posts back of wallowing in their own bigoted and arrogant view of games?  Maybe you might wanna reflect on that a bit?

Bethesda breaks my immersion every time I have to talk to an NPC using one of 5 recycled voices over and over again.  But hey, that's life.  There are enough redeeming qualities for me to ignore that for awhile in ES games.

Some people find inventory management to be tedious and immersive breaking, but that's a big part of Divinity, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. 

You have all of that in TESO as well BUT the completely unimmersive MMO stuff (unfitting people everywhere, respawning enemies) on top of it. Neither inventory management nor NPC interaction is gone in TESO...

So maybe Skyrim has 5 of 10 points in immersion. Then TESO can't have more, but only less, maybe 2 or 3.

And I never compared TESO to D:OS here, did I? I disagreed with those who said that TESO would be the same as Skyrim if you play in SP which is imo just ridiculous, at least if you value immersion. I never said that you can't have fun with TESO but this statement about the SP experience is just wrong. Wrong.

And what's so hard to understand in "Anyway, back to D:OS."? That should clearly indicate that I have no big interest in talking about TESO that much which is quite the opposite of wallowing in something. So again, back to D:OS... ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

"Puzzles like this are a part of every good or great D&D campaign."

No.

"Another thing about this game - it's so big and varied I can just play at one aspect and lose myself for a bit and not give a toss about the critical path. or, in fact, anything else. And because there are no instructions, I feel like the only bloke in the world figuring this **** out."

The whole game is the critical path pretty much. You can't 'get loss'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No.

"Another thing about this game - it's so big and varied I can just play at one aspect and lose myself for a bit and not give a toss about the critical path. or, in fact, anything else. And because there are no instructions, I feel like the only bloke in the world figuring this **** out."

Yes.

Also of course you can get lost. I was totally lost so I went with level 11 to hunters Edge and had a hart time there. After Silvreglen I did not know where to go so I went exploring XD

You only get lost if you don't read your quest journal which is a basic requirement for this game.

Also if you don't know what to do following the main quest (A source hunter's journey) is not the worst idea ever... ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

No.

Yes.

Also of course you can get lost. I was totally lost so I went with level 11 to hunters Edge and had a hart time there. After Silvreglen I did not know where to go so I went exploring XD

But I think you guys are misunderstanding Monte, he doesn't mean lost in the literal and negative sense. IMO he  is making a metaphorical point around getting "lost" and its more about exploring and seeing exciting things outside the main quest, its a positive experience

• Like 1

John Milton 

I'm lvl 8 now but I don't get all the praise for this game.

The story is meh, the character system is pretty unbalanced and the manual is close to useless.

I've started both characters with the lone wolf perk because it sounded fun, choose one as an archer and one as a swordsman. Without elemental magic, you can't really use the elemental fields everywhere and the elemental arrows are quite limited in quantity. At the same time, the game is balanced around flinging elemantal stuff all the time, making mages far superior. I'm not complaining that its hard this way, I'm complaining that there was not enough information available at any time to make better choices.

I also find the talents structure to be lacking. Why do some skills unlock a talent on lvl 5 and other not? And given the way your gear needs attributes, you really can only specialize in archer, warrior or mage archtypes with minor modifications.

It is enjoyable if you figure stuff out, but PoE will be superior for me just because it has transparent game design.

I've started both characters with the lone wolf perk because it sounded fun, choose one as an archer and one as a swordsman. Without elemental magic, you can't really use the elemental fields everywhere and the elemental arrows are quite limited in quantity. At the same time, the game is balanced around flinging elemantal stuff all the time, making mages far superior. I'm not complaining that its hard this way, I'm complaining that there was not enough information available at any time to make better choices.

I also find the talents structure to be lacking. Why do some skills unlock a talent on lvl 5 and other not? And given the way your gear needs attributes, you really can only specialize in archer, warrior or mage archtypes with minor modifications.

It is enjoyable if you figure stuff out, but PoE will be superior for me just because it has transparent game design.

Erm... you can craft elemental arrows and elemental weapons that let you interact with the elemental fields. Also, certain skills and talents let you do elemental damage with a warrior or an archer.

The talents are indeed somewhat lacking (nothing witchery-based? really?), but the attribute mins are fairly forgiving, especially considering the fact that you can equip lots and lots of (also craftable) items that increase your attributes. 

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

They told you exactly where to go.  Find the White Witch.

Yes of course that was the main quest. And I tried to find her but ending up in Hunters Edge fighting Level 16 enemies with level 11^^

I'm lvl 8 now but I don't get all the praise for this game.

The story is meh, the character system is pretty unbalanced and the manual is close to useless.

To figure stuff out is part of the fun. Learn and improve. Also the basic systems are pretty transparent if you take the time to read and study. This game needs time and dedication and that's actually a good thing imo.

And no, mages are not far superior (it only seems that way at the very beginning of the game). A well balanced party is far superior to anything else. In late game melees and archers are VERY important.

I don't really get why especially my German countrymen have so many difficulties/complaints with the game. That's really beyond me. It really should be the other way round. We Germans should appreciate a game like that and praise it. Or have we all become filthy casuals? I blame consoles...  :unsure:

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg