Divinity: Original Sin

TBH after 2 weeks of being the bestselling game on steam I expected a bit more than 250k.

These lists are totally misleading. If you take a look at the weekly UK charts for example the Top 1 game sells like 10-20 k units.   Without these actual numbers it is kind of pointless.

However the really positive thing here is that this game does not sell less each week bu through the good reputation it is selling more. And Reviews on big sites like IGN are still coming in.  

And Reviews on big sites like IGN are still coming in.

..It's thanks to not relying on "big" review sites the game has sold anything at all.

Yes they catered to the core people but now the casual stream is getting something too.  That is what i also criticize with Obsidian and POE. They only cater to the big sites or journalists instead the public.  And this thinking is outdated in this industry. 

Guest Slinky

I doubt PoE will sell at all, too few people want the IWD experience in a new setting

Nooot exactly the impression one could get after seeing the tsunami of money that hit when PoE kickstarted.

I think these well done games with a lot smaller budget's are way more healthier to the industry than current AAA games, even if they sell less.

Nooot exactly the impression one could get after seeing the tsunami of money that hit when PoE kickstarted.

I think these well done games with a lot smaller budget's are way more healthier to the industry than current AAA games, even if they sell less.

He is joking btw. :p

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

not really, joking, only being cautious with my expectations ;)

that's my point. who wanted to get it, pledged. the goal for Obsidian would, I'd imagine, be to have a game that they can sell without falling back to publishers. 

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Guest Slinky

Oh, I just saw the comment and went "whaaa?" :)

Edit: I want the game and didn't pledge btw. I rather see what I'm getting before throwing money around, and I doubt I'm the only one like that.

Edited by Slinky

that's true. I coudn't pledge, but I won't buy it anyway. unless there's a Steam sale with it soon after the release  :biggrin:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"- Sold a quarter of a million units.
- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth
"

The math here is dumb.

First 3 days = 160k sales

Next 11 days = 90k sales (game has been out for 2 weeks right?)

How is the sales curve 'rising'?

Also, 250k? Meh.  Larian is nto some rinky dinky tiny company. Their previous games have sold over a million copies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

For D:OS' budget breakdown, 250k means Larian have already made a profit from this game. Them, not the publishers.

It doesn't matter if Divinity 2 sold over a million, because under the standard publisher model, D:OS is still making more money for Larian themselves at 250k. Or rather, D:OS is actually making money for Larian, as opposed to their previous games doing just enough to pay for the game's own development. You know. Actual profit.

For comparison, Alpha Protocol selling 700k was considered a huge blowout by Sega given its long investment; Dungeon Siege 3, much smaller budget despite a publisher, was considered profitable at similar 6 digit numbers.

Excellent news. 

• Like 2

"- Sold a quarter of a million units.[/size]

- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth[/size]

"

The math here is dumb.

Also, 250k? Meh.  Larian is nto some rinky dinky tiny company. Their previous games have sold over a million copies.

I suppose, they could be looking at the sales curve relative to an average sales curve and the current sales curve is trending to a lower day to day sales decrease so appears to be an increase over average sales decreases. Still it'd be a bit wonky to describe it that way and sounds like publicist speak. :)

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"- Sold a quarter of a million units.

- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth"

The math here is dumb.

The 160k was with backers and early access. And this is all their money not some publishers worth. Big difference.   

On a different note: Someone already made a 4 player co op mod. You can not create more characters right now but at least you can now play 4player co op which is great^^

So...what are you doing here then?  Big SoT fan?

can't afford to buy games at those prices with my stipend.

why? am I not allowed here unless I keep paying for this "privilege"?

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

So...what are you doing here then?  Big SoT fan?

can't afford to buy games at those prices with my stipend.

why? am I not allowed here unless I keep paying for this "privilege"?

Huh?  "Privilege"?  What are you talking about?  I was asking what you were doing with your time hanging out here since it sounded like you were not that interested in the game they were making.  I did not realize you are interested you just cannot.  My apologies.

Edited by Valmy

no offence taken.

I'm interested in what becomes of PoE, but I won't be able to play it at release. I'll just buy it from a GOG sale in a couple of years

Walsingham said:

no offence taken.

I'm interested in what becomes of PoE, but I won't be able to play it at release. I'll just buy it from a GOG sale in a couple of years

What if I bought you the game as a present because I want you to experience the excitement like the rest of us, would you accept it?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Once your heroes reach the quest-hub town of Cyseal, they receive a barrel full of quests, at which point one of the game’s most stubborn, old-school qualities emerge. Rather than holding your hand and bombarding you with “go here” arrows to complete your quests, Divinity runs the opposite direction—perhaps a little too far.

I didn’t mind occasionally getting lost on a quest, but I often struggled to understand the order in which I needed to tackle those quests. At one point, I was told that the next step in the main quest was to find a secret hidden laboratory, with no hint as to where that might be. I spent the next several hours thinking I had missed something obvious before learning that the quest with that information actually came from elsewhere.

(...)

Only when I discovered that the game was much more about picking appropriately leveled enemies to fight instead of solving quests immediately did Divinity start to make sense. That didn't happen until I had already put roughly 20 hours into the game, though, well after almost any other genre would have finished its game and put it to rest.

..weird - that sounds familiar. Sounds reasonable, too.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Likewise.

I remember my first D:OS game... where I ended up first at the graveyard (lvl 3, lvl 7 area). I defeated 2 lvl 7's (yeah!) but the boss was too much. Then I tried another exit, lvl 7 beach. Got pounded again. Then I tried another area, where suddenly lvl 3 enemies where (I was like lvl 5 by then).

And I was loving it...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"where suddenly lvl 3 enemies where (I was like lvl 5 by then)."

Which likely were a cakewalk with no challenge and got old real quick. That's why this game is linear. It's lame that they tell you the enemies' exact levels too (and you don't need the 'lore' skill for it either).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.