Divinity: Original Sin

Funnily enough, when I see guys pipe up about not getting into playing chicks, they don't seem to get nearly as much flack as I do. What's up with that?!  :blink:

Its cuz you're a girl!!!Why won't you accept men into your life? Plz play with some men!!!

Seriously though; its the taming of the shrew, if girl shows a disinterest in men then there are those who see it as a challenge rather than an obstacle. I guess they interpret not playing as a man as not liking men.

On the subject:

Boy does this game need a better questing system.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Funnily enough, when I see guys pipe up about not getting into playing chicks, they don't seem to get nearly as much flack as I do. What's up with that?!  :blink:

Yes your observations are 100 % accurate, its really about the obvious inequality around gender  representation that exists in gaming nowadays. But the majority of people on these forums will tell you "there is no problem, feminists are always complaining", but as I've pointed out several times during similar discussions almost all active members on these forums are male gamers who are quote happy with the status quo..or are rather happy to not try to challenge it

But there are several of us who do raise these issues, like Assassins Creed Unity, anyway its good to see a lady gamer raising this type of disparity . Things are changing in gaming and more and more  people are intolerant of company's that don't cater for there entire fan  base, so its is getting better. Albeit slowly :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dudes are boring to play, unless they're behind a mask and wear black and have twin weapons like cool guys do, Snake Eyes. Unless ... well, I'm really looking forward to The Last of Us Remastered in two weeks, and it's supposed to have a pretty cool unmasked male protagonist. But yeah, like, even all the comics I read are about the ladies ... Black Widow, She-Hulk, Wonder Woman, Elektra ...

Still tottering around in Cyseal, talking to guards, going through portals ... I tried not very hard to fight a big orc on the beach but he turned red and pummeled all three of us.  

Oh you are going to play last of Us for the first time in 2 weeks?  Man I hope you have the same fantastic experience I had with this game. Joel and Ellie are fantastic characters  but also all the other actors are fantastically written without any real exception. 

• Like 1

Yes your observations are 100 % accurate, its really about the obvious inequality around gender  representation that exists in gaming nowadays. But the majority of people on these forums will tell you "there is no problem, feminists are always complaining", but as I've pointed out several times during similar discussions almost all active members on these forums are male gamers who are quote happy with the status quo..or are rather happy to not try to challenge it

But there are several of us who do raise these issues, like Assassins Creed Unity, anyway its good to see a lady gamer raising this type of disparity . Things are changing in gaming and more and more  people are intolerant of company's that don't cater for there entire fan  base, so its is getting better. Albeit slowly :)

Yes there are problems with gender representation but people try to solve this problem the totally wrong way. Instead of creating new IPs and strong female characters people try to change games and characters and I would call this censorship.  And the worst offender here are the Sarkessian videos they are so biased and so out of context that it makes this whole outrage laughable.   Just look at her latest video and her terrible terrible Hitman example.

What gaming needs is better writing and with better writing comes better characterization for both gender.  99% of male characters are dumb too but they are just labeled dumb while female characters only labeled sexist and misogynistic. There is nothing wrong with games that feature titillation. Sex is something totally natural  as well as beauty.  It becomes a problem when it does not fit into the world it is set in. For example: Quiet in MGSV fits perfect into the highly sexualized world of Metal Gear while a women in a bikini would totally not fit into a game like COD.  

Bottom of the line is: Do not change gaming do add something to gaming.  A game like Dragons Crown has as much right to exist than a Last of Us for example. If you don't like it do not buy but do not try to make people believe that they are a terrible person for liking what you do not like. 

but it's made with a similar design approach in mind  while featuring a different overall tone (both in graphics/art design and storytelling)...

well, that different overall tone is what drives me away from D:OS. 

I liked BG 2's antagonist, because for him it was very personal. BG was good in that respect too, I liked the fact that it all was down to earth, unlike in Throne of Bhaal (but what else can you do at epic levels). but the writing in BG 2 isn't always good, I just like the plot and how it's told through these quests. 

and *the* most important thing for me: combat and how your party composition and equipment plays into it - combat in D:OS is crap, as far as I can tell (it's very hard to get TB combat right, though, for example I don't like combat in Fallout and Fallout 2, it could be better). even though in Infinity engine games combat is flaky, I'd still take it over badly designed TB combat

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

but it's made with a similar design approach in mind  while featuring a different overall tone (both in graphics/art design and storytelling)...

well, that different overall tone is what drives me away from D:OS. 

I liked BG 2's antagonist, because for him it was very personal. BG was good in that respect too, I liked the fact that it all was down to earth, unlike in Throne of Bhaal (but what else can you do at epic levels). but the writing in BG 2 isn't always good, I just like the plot and how it's told through these quests. 

and *the* most important thing for me: combat and how your party composition and equipment plays into it - combat in D:OS is crap, as far as I can tell (it's very hard to get TB combat right, though, for example I don't like combat in Fallout and Fallout 2, it could be better). even though in Infinity engine games combat is flaky, I'd still take it over badly designed TB combat

You can criticize everything in D:OS EXCEPT the combat. The combat is nearly perfect and for a huge change it is actually challenging and requires thinking. The interactions with the environment is great and there is so much awesome stuff you can do with these elemental statuses.  Compared to that the combat in Fallout 1 or 2 is pretty shallow and boring.  It is not badly designed. Every encounter is there for a reason and thoughtfully build in. 

• Like 1

meh, I guess there's something wrong with me, because everything you guys bring up makes me roll my eyes.

the fact that the game is challenging and requires thinking doesn't make it a good game. combat in BG, for example, requires no thinking at all. it's all point and click stuff. still, it's fun. 

but fun is so subjective, I don't blame you, you're not wrong for liking D:OS, 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

meh, I guess there's something wrong with me, because everything you guys bring up makes me roll my eyes.

the fact that the game is challenging and requires thinking doesn't make it a good game. combat in BG, for example, requires no thinking at all. it's all point and click stuff. still, it's fun. 

but fun is so subjective, I don't blame you, you're not wrong for liking D:OS, 

You said it is crap which means bad. If you would have said I am not liking it because it is different of what I want in my games I would never complain about it.  And yeah if you do not like real D&D  combat like in Temple of elemental evil for example you will not have fun with the combat. However if you like Turn based combat this is the perfect game for you.  I watched a lot of people play this game and everyone who really loves turn based combat adores this combat system. If you like a more action oriented playstyle like in Baldurs Gate it is matter of taste not quality.

last TB game I really enjoyed was Frozen Synapse. should give you an idea of what I expect from a TB game

Walsingham said:

last TB game I really enjoyed was Frozen Synapse. should give you an idea of what I expect from a TB game

So you want a turn based combat game without much consequences while the actually action play in real time? So basically like Baldurs gate with a Pause function. Yeah that is not what Divinity is since Divinity is a true Turn based RPG game. 

oh, there's plenty of consequence in FS. maybe it's not TB, but phase-based or something. I don't know. I just know it's the best non-real time game since Jagged Alliance 2

Walsingham said:

Fronzen Synapse uses simultaneously executed turns, meaning that there is decision phase where players gives orders for their characters and execution phase where all character move simultaneously executing players' orders until turn end indication clock runs out of time, which start new decision phase and so on. Divinity: Original Sin uses more traditional turn based system, where characters have their own rounds and action points that that determine how much stuff they can do per each round. This means that both games have different pace and tactical and strategic elements that player has to take in account are different. Meaning that if you go from playing FS to D:OS you will find system that has only little similarities to previous system. 

• Like 1

yet another reason not to play D:OS 

Walsingham said:

Worst gripes for me are character design, inventory (why 4 inventories for one player, that's insane, one inventory PER player please)

and UI (only space for 10 skills in the action bar, no option to customise)

Each character has a n inventory as it should be in my opinion. However I really do not like the fact that you always have to press on the last added items button to see the newest stuff on top instead of use these options you have by default.  And yeah it would be better if you actually could use the second or 3 bar on the same screen with certain shortcuts.

"You can criticize everything in D:OS EXCEPT the combat."

Bull. People can criticize anything they want. Just because they don't   spam stuff you agree with doesn't mean they can't. They are not your slave.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"You can criticize everything in D:OS EXCEPT the combat."

Bull. People can criticize anything they want. Just because they don't   spam stuff you agree with doesn't mean they can't. They are not your slave.

You can say you do not like it and when you read more of his comments he actually says that he does not like  Turn based combat to begin with. Not liking is something totally different than calling it crap. 

If someone dislikes something that means it is crap to them. Not  abig deal. Him hating the game does not and should not hurt your enjoyment. This doesn't mean i agree with him ether (I don't) but telling someone they can't call a game crap is silly. Just call him poopy head and move on.

I'm not sure why people are getting all upset over one person not liking the game based on a video (hahahahahaha), but anyway.

I love the combat, but sometimes it'd be nice if there were a bit more clarity in terms of how exactly an action is going to play out. Sometimes when things are cluttered (which is ALL THE TIME based on how I play and area spells going off everywhere and OH GOSH NOW THE ENTIRE FIELD IS ON FIRE *AGAIN*), and the game isn't precise in showing off where exactly a spell will land and who exactly will get it. Sometimes I cast a spell where the radius covers all my targets, but for some reason none of them get hit (stupid boulder bash spell!)

I'm about 30 hrs in and still finishing up the first map. Still having a blast. It's already my favorite RPG since Mask of the Betrayer.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Worst gripes for me are character design, inventory (why 4 inventories for one player, that's insane, one inventory PER player please)

and UI (only space for 10 skills in the action bar, no option to customise)

You do get 3 action bars and you can put whatever you want in them. You can't see all action bars at the same time, though.

"I love the combat, but sometimes it'd be nice if there were a bit more clarity in terms of how exactly an action is going to play out. Sometimes when things are cluttered (which is ALL THE TIME based on how I play and area spells going off everywhere and OH GOSH NOW THE ENTIRE FIELD IS ON FIRE *AGAIN*), and the game isn't precise in showing off where exactly a spell will land and who exactly will get it. Sometimes I cast a spell where the radius covers all my targets, but for some reason none of them get hit (stupid boulder bash spell!)"

Yeah, the enemies' animation don't help. Go to cast a spell and next thing you know your mage goes for a walk because sometimes when you click a spell it don't register. HAHA!

Btw, Mr. Spider is one of the most overpowered summons in a game since maybe cheesing with skeles in cloudkill or fire elementals with fireball but at least those would die quick. Spider lasts 2-3 rounds and then on 4th you can summon him again. HAHA!

Teleport spell is definitely one of my top 5 fave spells of all time.

Too bad that the Chosen One(s) story is lame.

"(why 4 inventories for one player, that's insane, one inventory PER player please)"

That's a silly opinion. BIO did it your way with i think ME or was it DA2?  It's lame. Every character should have an inventory. It's bad enoguh you can transfer items even if they are far apart. However, the inventories are  too big (unlimited space is lame) and the weight for items is way too low.

Edited by Volourn

Turn based combat to begin with.

I suddenly remembered a PvP game I used to play (it's very hard and has a steep learning curve, that's why I dropped it) - it has the best turn-based combat in the history of video games, in my opinion - Banner Saga: Factions. its combat system is brilliant

Walsingham said:

What's this game about? Should I get it?

It is about exploring world, fighting against monsters, talking to people and some times animals, exploiting environment and items.

It is quite open ended RPG that don't take itself too seriously, it has turn based combat, that offer tons of tactical options especially in how you can use environment against your enemies or how they can use it against you. There is also story. There is lots of people that you can talk when you try to find out what that story is. Difficulty curve in game is high and you can find yourself easily against  unbeatable odds if you don't heed information that game gives you, although with right kind of exploitation you can change those odds to be not so unbeatable.  Game also has co-op multiplayer mode and even in single player mode you play two characters and game make it possible that those character can have different opinions about things and even encourages player to use that option.

I would say that combat is very entertaining, writing is decent enough to read through, exploring is enjoyable thing to do and there is quite nice rewards for doing so, especially when game gives you options to use player's ingenuity get in places or open things when characters skills aren't enough.