Divinity: Original Sin

I'm also enjoying the game quite a bit but I'm not *quite* seeing the greatness that a lot of people are. Finding the engine a bit clunky overall, and the writing is really boring. It's clear that they're going for a more light-hearted, silly tone. But even so, it's not particularly funny. Couple that with a really boring setting and, well... It doesn't live up to the potential I think. I would also love some more quest solutions.

That said, the game is just plain fun. Combat manages to be a blast, and the gameplay is free enough to make you feel creative. That said, it will have to take more playthroughs for me to see how free the game really is. I'm stealing stuff all over the place on this playthrough for example, but I didn't plan for it. It's just that it's so easy to do. I wonder how much playthroughs will *really* differ.

But yeah, it's addictive as hell and I'm off to play some more. :)

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Finding the engine a bit clunky overall, and the writing is really boring. It's clear that they're going for a more light-hearted, silly tone. But even so, it's not particularly funny. Couple that with a really boring setting and, well... It doesn't live up to the potential I think. I would also love some more quest solutions.

Larian gonna Larian.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Eat food or lie in any bed to rest. You can craft anything, I think even without reading the recipe. Just drag and drop stuff. 

The writing is pretty meh but you never play a Larian game for the writing or the setting.

• Like 3

What do you play them for, then ?  Just curious, still working through Divinity II

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

D:OS, like Divine Divinity, has a pretty well built character development & loot system which work well together, even though they are far from the best. D:OS combines this with some of the best encounter design RPGs have seen in a while, a highly interactible environment, and a world which may not be very interesting but certainly has a lot of interesting things to do. It's a pure gameplay experience for me. Their 'humour' is mostly terrible and the serious bits of the plot are even worse, there is very little reactivity and their 'lore' is nonexistent. (However, what is important is that as a whole the gameworld does have a certain fairy-tale charm to it; if they were in your face with the story and writing with cutscenes and 'epic' pomp it would be insufferable, but here, it doesn't really bother you.) It doesn't matter - it's all about teleporting enemies on top of mines, crafting pumpkin helmets to wear, using Pet Pal to talk to rats to get hints about the area, winning a boss battle at the last turn before death because you had crafted a couple of spare voodoo dolls.

Gonna pick this up given the massive support on the boards here.  Word of mouth's still alive and well as a marketing tool.

Likely me, too.  I had completely disregarded the previously released games for reasons that I cannot entirely recall (wasn't the first one some kind of Diablo-clone?), but it's tough to ignore kind of accolades this is picking up from folks who I know share some of my tastes in games. 

Divine Divinity looks a lot like a Diablo clone and it still wears those trappings, but ended up being a lot more complex than it looked. 

This one almost fully sheds those beginnings with its turn-based, combination-centric combat and new engine.

I'm a bit annoyed by the stat requirements for everything - diablo style. At least you can equip a lv 40 broom at lv 1 though. I chose a battlemage and I just know all the good greatswords I find at comperable level will be just out of reach of what I will be able to allocate. Similarly it is just not worth it putting any points into ranged weapons for a mele stat dependent character.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I wonder what the obsidian guys think of this game?

Anyways, I am loving it so far.  2013 was a very very dark year for me.  There were like no rpgs released, it was a black whole of rpg gaming content, and this year look at what we have:

divinity original sin

wasteland 2

pillars of eternity

dragon age inquisition

This is the best year for rpgs in like, ever.  I'll throw in age of wonders 3 just because I like it and am a fan of that series.

I think divinity OS is the best release of the year so far though.  Hopefully the others get even better.  People are right to say that the world is not exactly the most unique, but that is perfectly tolerable due to the fact that you can do so much stuff.  I had no idea that you could teleport people, and there are few things in gaming more satisfying than portion some bomb carrying enemy into a cluster of other enemies and watching him nuke them all.  It's just incredibly satisfying gameplay.  Shades of magicka in the spell system in the combos.

I was put off by the large chunks of text at the start but I acclimated to the difference and got more in tune with my older bg2 days.  I think I'd been thrown too much modern dragon age/ mass effect style everything voice overs.  It made having to read all the text kind of a chore and I think that may be the biggest turn off for people at the start.  But once people adjust I suspect they will become engrossed.

Wow I have to be honest, this is the first time I have ever read so much positivity towards any one game from these forums. This game really must be good 8)

I've been on this forum for ten years, and a fair few on BIS before that and I haven't seen such a consensus around a CRPG since BG2 to be honest.

Seriously, right?

I'm on Act 3 and am amazed that the quality just keeps up.

Oh, and we should have a Obsidiboard Co-Op Night.

Edited by Bryy

Two player co-op probably doesn't quite add up to be a real co-op night event. :p But apparently the game does support more players in custom content and possibly future official content, I think.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Say the attitude of the townspeople have dropped down below attack on sight because of previous attempted robberies and that after a roadtrip to the lighthouse you chose traits on several characters swapping out atttude adjustment for attribute points. Is there any way around that. A spell ?.

Just one of my characters seem able to move around freely in town, the rest are hiding out to avoid detection. I don't know if it's possible to complete several main quests like this.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I don't know if it's possible to complete several main quests like this.

don't know about specific main quests, but it was said in one (or more) of the updates that the game can be completed even if You kill everyone.

I'm still wary about playing a game featuring RPGCodex easter eggs. Are there any NPCs that burst into antisemitic rants?

You only get those easter eggs if you enter a specific code IIRC at the start of your game. I don't have that code and I haven't seen any Codex references (yet) but I'm only about 15 hours in.

I'm still wary about playing a game featuring RPGCodex easter eggs. Are there any NPCs that burst into antisemitic rants?

I've only had some annoying imps pop up but I don't frequent the codex so I could have missed some others

Free games updated 3/4/21

to be fair, RPGCodex is probably the reason why this game is at the top of Steam's sales

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.