I'm not sure this option would make much sense for an isometric game given that (a) you'll be looking down at your characters' 3D models from some distance away so you're not going to be able to see much of their faces anyway and (b) you'll have their (fairly large) portraits sitting in your UI bar at all times.

Edited by MasterPrudent
  • Like 2

^Didn't use it myself but one of the BG2 Tweaks was to remove the helmets - and BG was less detailed than PoE will be.

Some people just like it that way (or dislike the helmets themselves).

• Like 4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I hope invisible helmets are an option, but if not; expect a mod to deal with them.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I sort of expect a hide helmet option, this isn't the 90's you can pack quite a bit of detail on even a small character model now.  Even if it isn't there it will get modded in by someone like Namutree and Silent Winter said.  Many times it does also come down to the helmet.  There are like 3 decent helmet graphics in baldur's gate, not everyone wants to look like a crazy barbarian with horns longer than their torso or have a helm with wings so huge your neck should break wearing it.

• Like 3

YES PLEASE !

Add 'hide helmet' ! I'd like to fight wearing my helmet and removing it when things are quiet, or when talking to some villagers.

... it's only natural right ??!

• Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

They should just add a talent with a name like "thick-headed" that gives you head armor and removes the ability to wear a helmet or decreases your intellect. It's a win-win. Logic prevails.

YES PLEASE !

Add 'hide helmet' ! I'd like to fight wearing my helmet and removing it when things are quiet, or when talking to some villagers.

No, it isn't. If you don't want to wear one while talking to some villagers you take it off when talking to some villagers. Hide helmet options are not natural because it makes helmets invisible, it doesn't automatically equip and unequip them based on combat state. Helmets don't spontaneously become invisible when you put them on.

Edited by AGX-17

YES PLEASE !

No, it isn't. If you don't want to wear one while talking to some villagers you take it off when talking to some villagers. Hide helmet options are not natural because it makes helmets invisible, it doesn't automatically equip and unequip them based on combat state. Helmets don't spontaneously become invisible when you put them on.

'Hide Helmet' is a viable, aesthetic choice. Many (including me) like to see their heroes' faces and not the helmet from time to time, even in battle.

Plus I didn't say anything about automatic in/out of combat hide/shows just a normal 'hide helmet' option.

Edited by constantine
  • Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

^Didn't use it myself but one of the BG2 Tweaks was to remove the helmets - and BG was less detailed than PoE will be.

Some people just like it that way (or dislike the helmets themselves).

Yeah, that happened to me a lot in BG. Some of the helmets were so horrid looking and out of character that I just used the BG2 tweak option for them to not show. Worked like a charm. That is why I was asking.

Edited by namelessthree

I sort of expect a hide helmet option, this isn't the 90's you can pack quite a bit of detail on even a small character model now.  Even if it isn't there it will get modded in by someone like Namutree and Silent Winter said.  Many times it does also come down to the helmet.  There are like 3 decent helmet graphics in baldur's gate, not everyone wants to look like a crazy barbarian with horns longer than their torso or have a helm with wings so huge your neck should break wearing it.

Exactly.

it would be cool if there was an animation for taking off your helmet when talking to npcs.

That would be cool, yes, but still it's nice to have the "hide helmet option" too, just for practical reasons.

EDIT: It would be nice too, now that I am thinking about it, if wearing helmets would affect the NPC reaction. For example, a villager would be more intimidated when talking with someone in full armor and helmet while if you let them see your face their reaction would be to be a little bit more chill about your presence. Something like that. 

Edited by namelessthree

I liked how npc's in F1 were reacting to player forgetting to holster his weapon. I don't remember anyone giving a damn about your helmet or your gun's safety ever since.

I remember having a shortcut in NWN2 that switched my party between "city" and "outdoors" outfits. That was convenient.

Also, I always wore that snazzy red tux whenever on the streets of Tarant. What am I, a peasant?

I'm not sure this option would make much sense for an isometric game given that (a) you'll be looking down at your characters' 3D models from some distance away so you're not going to be able to see much of their faces anyway and (b) you'll have their (fairly large) portraits sitting in your UI bar at all times.

It made a lot of sense in the Infinity Engine games because those helmets just looked silly, even from a distance (big wings on the side like I was ready to sing an aria).

I also found it odd that most of those games had heavy metal helmets for everyone, never a nice cloth cap for those shunning armor (though they had the stereotypical and silly ioun stones at times).

This is a very low-priority feature and it's very unlikely we would implement it at this stage.  Sorry.

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!

Eh we will live, just have to wait on modders for this one.

• Like 1

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!

Eh we will live, just have to wait on modders for this one.

I realize it's actually feasible here, so I'm not really commenting directly on this instance or anything, but it's just kinda funny how that's pretty much never not a valid response. :)

"We won't be able to pilot 5, different-colored lion mechs, and form them together into Voltron whenever we're getting beaten too badly? *tsk tsk*... we'll just hafta wait for the mod!" :)

It's funny literal word meanings, is all. Like everything that can possibly be imagined is supposed to be in the game, but was just cut due to budget/time constraints, and it's all just delayed content because unofficial modders have to put it in. Haha.

Sorry. Silly thoughts and all. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

it would be cool if there was an animation for taking off your helmet when talking to npcs.

So everytime you talk with someone you'd take the helmet off and afterwards put the helmet on again... animated?

Even if not animated, "popping" the helmet off and "popping" it on would look silly too.

@Topic: In the IE games I used to remove a helmet on some characters just because I thought it looked better~ it's more "natural" as well as someone else stated. Though, it is convenient in games having the option to "Hide Helmet" and still getting bonuses for it, but it is more immersive/realistic that "taking helmet off = no bonus" and "having helmet on = bonus".