Bittersweet Eternity. An open letter addressed to Obsidian Entertainment

@Prince of Wales, that's usually known as "rape," not "getting laid."

I mean, I had heard that some people have difficulties making the distinction, but still...

I don't think the divide between consensual and non-consensual sex was as great or clearly defined before the concept of human rights took hold like, two or three centuries ago, tops?

ETA: I apologize for the double post. It's kind of hard to multi-quote on a phone.

Edited by Prince of Wales

Good post Op :thumbsup:

I have always maintained that Romance adds to deeper interaction with party members and also a more memorable RPG experience in respect to your party members

I have had numerous discussions on these forums trying to get people to understand this but it has failed most times

I guess what we can hope for is that Obsidian includes Romance in PoE 2 ?

I was thinking where are you so long, been on holiday or something?

I went away this weekend and I've been busy at work :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Prince of Wales, I understood what you meant. Didn't think it came off as romanticizing rape in any way. Your main point was that people get horny and sex is part of everyone's life. But anyway...

real world "adventurers"

I think your comparison is off. (Or actually, NWN_babaYaga's comparison. But he's completely wrong anyway.)

There aren't really any real world adventurers like the ones in fantasy stories. Fantasy stories have always been influenced by epic poems and the like. It just doesn't work to say "an adventurer is like a crusader".

An adventurer is like a Greek hero, if anything. And yes, they thought about romance all the time! Ulysses wanted to get back to his wife. Perseus romanced Andromeda. Orpheus went to the underworld to save Eurydice. And so on and so on.

But this romance was also part of their main storyline.

Anyway. Don't compare adventurers to crusaders, it won't work.

Edited by Fearabbit
  • Like 1

Prince of Wales, I understood what you meant. Didn't think it came off as romanticizing rape in any way. Your main point was that people get horny and sex is part of everyone's life. But anyway...

real world "adventurers"

I think your comparison is off. (Or actually, NWN_babaYaga's comparison. But he's completely wrong anyway.)

There aren't really any real world adventurers like the ones in fantasy stories. Fantasy stories have always been influenced by epic poems and the like. It just doesn't work to say "an adventurer is like a crusader".

An adventurer is like a Greek hero, if anything. And yes, they thought about romance all the time! Ulysses wanted to get back to his wife. Perseus romanced Andromeda. Orpheus went to the underworld to save Eurydice. And so on and so on.

But this romance was also part of their main storyline.

Anyway. Don't compare adventurers to crusaders, it won't work.

Oh, I agree. I was merely questioning the realism argument. The idea that a band of dragonslayers couldn't possibly be thinking about getting laid is hilarious. Saying crusaders were as chaste as the crosses they were named after would suggest, even more so.

On the other matter, I'm not sure what I dread the most. Poorly written romance sidequests are bad, but a forced love interest in a RPG? I didn't get far in TW2 because I kept wondering why did I have to stand that redheaded bore. Although admittedly, having to stand that albino bore was even worse.

• Like 1

To show honor and to impress woman IS a motivation and what he said is off not my words. I used both kind of people because both are extreme personalitys in extreme situations and yet they did what they had to do for honor, fame and wealth but not for romances. Interests play a role too but where females have anything to do with adventures and crusades is beyond me but ehm...

And sex was never a part of a deep story. IT was to get the yes for marriage and the love but people like you throw it all in one can...And greeks were sex addicts nothing more. Try to search in old germanic tales or else to find something more deep then humping young boys etc. Problem is with your "storys" that you use cultures that are heavily patriarchel and so it´s always just a shell of a realy deep relationship between 2 human beings that are equal on every level.

And if you know "bittermoon" you should know the difference between obsession, sex and love ;)

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

I have always maintained that Romance adds to deeper interaction with party members and also a more memorable RPG experience in respect to your party members

I have had numerous discussions on these forums trying to get people to understand this but it has failed most times

I was thinking where are you so long, been on holiday or something?

I went away this weekend and I've been busy at work :)

Ah, sorry to hear that, missed start of your favorite topic, hope you enjoyed weekend, even proromancers deserve rest from their gloriouse fight for rights :) but now back to work, rape is on the desk now!

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Why don't we give PoE 1 a chance and see if they have deep interaction with party members and provides a memorable RPG experience with our party members before we declare it a failure and hope Obsidian fixes their error in PoE 2?

every time the mods close a romance thread, a new one opens almost immediately. given the impotence o' their efforts to stop romance threads all together, perhaps they came up with a new plan: leave a single thread open to collect all the waste in one place... like a latrine. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have mixed feelings about romance in games. I've only played two games where I actually enjoyed the romance path/s, and more often than not, I find romances in games (including Baldur's Gate II) to be poorly-written, too short, and not nearly deep enough. To contrast, some of the best romances (and friendships, for that matter) I've ever played were mods. This isn't surprising to me -- a competent mod author has a lot more time on their hands (and motivation!) to write extremely detailed, varied, and deep conversation. They can spend 1,000+ hours on one romance that maybe .5% of the playerbase would even care about. 

I don't know what your problem with mods is, namelessthree, but I question how much you actually care about PoE's roleplaying content if you want Obsidian - who neither want to nor have the time to, so the final result is going to be sub-par - to cut content to write your romances over letting the community take care of it after the game launches. Surely letting everyone do what they're good at and what they want to do is the optimal solution here?

Also, I've seen nothing that's given me the impression of IWD-style lack of party interaction, and I've been lurking for a while.

• Like 1