Physical Media Bits Version  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What version of the release bits do you want on the physical media?

• I'd like the initial release right after beta QA is wrapped
    • Wait until the first large patch is issued after a month or two
    • Hold off until the patched version is stable with no major issues, but no more than 3-6 months

I have a concern about the physical media being planned for this game. If the master disk is based on the bits from the initial release of the game, then it is likely to need patching. However, if Obsidian waits until there is a generally stable version (say after 3 months), then the media should be good to use without requiring any network access. What is your preference?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Why delay? I'm assuming as part of the deal with Paradox, they will be releasing hard copies to market concurrently with the digital release. Most sales will occur in the first few weeks after initial release anyway, so no need to hamstring sales for the sake of a post patched release. Opportunity cost for Obsidian would be too great if they will delay physical release of the hard copies.

Not like the target audience are those who lack reliable internet access to download patches as they come in.

And personally, I want my physical goodies to come concurrently with my game (even if I am using a Steam or GOG code).

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I demand that hard copies of the patches be mailed to us, u_u...

Physical goods advocates are people, too.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Physical goods advocates are people, too.

Indeed. Occasionally I pull in to the lot where Tower Records used to be. It's still gone.

Nah. The Tower Records became a Rasputin Records. Only now it's a Guitar Center as Rasputin moved back to their old location, which is still under renovation. In the meantime, I pulled in to the lot where Barnes and Noble used to be. Now, POOF it's gone...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Kind of admire the fact that certain developers and the larger publishers have managed to instruct people so well that: "release the game when it's done" isn't even an option.

So balancing patches /have/ to be done after release. And a "gameoftheyear" edition is inevitable and understandable. Along with the need to sign up to a content portal full of ads to get "free" updates on the hat colours. And three months after the game launches, the disc version isn't compatible with the current version of directx and .net. 

Also, disc quality must be worse than the discs you buy for 1$ for 50. The cover art must be made by the secretary in Paint. The paper quality is the kind you use in the toilet. The plastic bits holding the disc down should break off the first time you play the game. Or else the publisher will go bankrupt from the cost of including an always online drm encryption scheme.

It's all completely reasonable.

• Like 2

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

• 3 months later...

If the release version isn't playable, we have bigger problems than what's on the DVDs. Getting it right is kinda the point of delaying another few months.

Physical version should be (and will be) the same as initial digital release. Of course there will be patches. Hopefully relatively minor ones, but it is the 21st century and all. "No network access required" is not a goal Obsidian should be shooting for. That's taking nostalgia a bit too far.

• Like 1

No not necessarily, the developers can update the digital release in the time between when they send their gold master to the publishers/manufacturers for printing and the release date.

Of course they can. I sincerely hope they won't have to. Again... that's why we're all waiting an extra few months.

What do you mean they won't have to? All developers these days do it.

For comparison: Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 both had large day 1 patches ... although not many WL2 backers have their physical copies yet due to Deep Silver severely stuffing up the physical release.

There will be a Day 1 patch, just as there will be many patches after that. 

Edited by Sensuki

Presuming that there are no issues so major as to be completely unplayable, I'd prefer it release as close to the same time as the digital version as possible. I don't mind downloading patches, if necessary (which I expect at least one or two will be); I just want to have a physical copy of the game itself.

knightofchaoss.jpg

I haven't really followed the latest developments, but during the Kickstarter Obsidian said that the only physical releases planned were the backers rewards. Has it changed after the partnership with Paradox, or is it still the case?

Kind of admire the fact that certain developers and the larger publishers have managed to instruct people so well that: "release the game when it's done" isn't even an option.

Back in the days, developers didn't wait to have a 'as good as we can make it' version to release their game either, they released it in its buggy and imbalanced state. And the reason for that is and has always been the same: if developers/studios don't meet their dealines, they're going to run out of money sooner than later. At least nowadays the developers can use the month or so between the press and distribution of the physical version and the official release to iron out a few kinks, instead of sitting and waiting.

There will be a Day 1 patch, just as there will be many patches after that. 

Probably. I meant I hope there isn't a "oh, ****... download the day 1 patch or you won't be able to complete character creation" type of problem.

See my initial post. I think expecting a perfect disc copy these days is misguided, and I certainly don't want them sitting on the physical distribution for weeks after the digital version has come out.

Edited by Flow

Since patching/updating is an ongoing process and any physical product will go out of date (usually sooner rather than later), I'm happy getting game version 1.0 in a physical delivery - that's barely done at all these days anyway, so I consider it a bonus.  If I need to reinstall later or move computers, that'll help save the dl'ing time.

Last time I remember seeing something with a separate physical patch version, it was a 3.5" floppy one included in the box I got for "Blood Bowl" (the original computer version). 

Probably. I meant I hope there isn't a "oh, ****... download the day 1 patch or you won't be able to complete character creation" type of problem.

Oh no, not like that. I am just saying that due to the nature of digital releases, they can afford to improve them by release, whereas previously they could not. If anything, it's better.

Well. I always burn patches to their own disc(s) anyway so keeping the physical copies together for reinstalls isn't a big deal...

That said. I don't remember if there was discussion about the file locations, but in the old IE games (that I remember), you could patch everything and essentially re-burn its installation directory to media for your own pre-patched version. That would be awesome, but I suspect Obsidian won't be going with that type of old-school "modular" file structure in a modern game, also considering Pillars is being packaged for Mac and Linux and Steam and whatever.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Kinda hopin' the game is released without major issues.

Agreed. I'll accept nothing beyond lance-corporal issues. 6_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u