PCgames.de preview translation (it's good, read it)

did you think it were at all possible that there wouldn't be multiple ways to complete quests?  we were told that would be in game and it ain't anything particular difficult to do in a tutorial area. every ie crpg had some such. confirmation in the demo were, we s'pose, nice. if such had been absent, THAT woulda' been newsworthy.

and "Combat is combat.," is either a bad joke or complete misguided. poe has a class-based system with levels. show rat killing in basement o' iwd would give you a good idea o' what combat 'gainst yxunomei would be like? sure, you get a look at interface, but comparing such combats and saying "combat is combat" is a clear myopic perspective.

but hey, even IF you honestly thought showing tutorial combat and interactions were important, that still don't change fact that character generation is also extreme important. you admit so yourself. absence o' such should be glaring  and noteworthy.

HA! Good Fun!

Well we know there's gonna be char creation, so with you logic above, why should they show char creation? Can they only show stuff we don't know about?

They are showing basic combat and questing for journalists. What's so odd about it? I don't understand what your gripe is, besides that you didn't get to see what you wished for.

I think char creation is a very important aspect for you and me, but the target audience at E3 (going via the journalists), aren't players like you and me who already know a lot about the game and are veteran CRPG gamers. I think even the mighty Gromnir can appreciate that fact.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

"Well we know there's gonna be char creation, so with you logic above, why should they show char creation?"

ac774315db21fa8cb5423bd29a0d2106b630dd2a

first, we said that absence o' character interactions and combat (even rat killing) would be newsworthy.  "if such had been absent, THAT woulda' been newsworthy." see?  am trying to help. were combat absent? were interactions absent? were character creation absent? ding-ding-- we got a wiener. also, unlike combat in a level-based system that changes significantly as you level, character CREATION takes place when? character creation, by definition, is start of game.  is odd that you would not realize. no need for further clarification? 

btw, Please reread. am not complaining 'cause we didn't get to see what we wished. getting to see very basic combat mechanics were having some use. tutorial combat does at least show how interface works and some basic mechanics... although showing d&d rat killing without context o' knowing d&d rules is somewhat confusing, yes? why is Gromnir missing a rat? got feedback text enabled? no? why not? if yes, what the hell is thac0 and how are these numbers being calculated? am complaining 'cause at this late date, there is a great deal we do not know. to offer little that is new/news and have e3 game "journalists" not ask why? that is the gripe.

also, am hoping you really don't believe that the backers o' poe ain't concerned about character generation. is not much we can say to that. tell you what, if you honest believe that, create a seeming silly poll that actual asks question: do you care about character generation in Pillars of Eternity?  most folks is gonna not understand question 'cause the possibility o' there being "no" responses will be limited to extreme small pool o' people. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Well we know there's gonna be char creation, so with you logic above, why should they show char creation?"

first, we said that absence o' character interactions and combat (even rat killing) would be newsworthy.  "if such had been absent, THAT woulda' been newsworthy." see?  am trying to help. were combat absent? were interactions absent? were character creation absent? ding-ding-- we got a wiener. also, unlike combat in a level-based system that changes significantly as you level, character CREATION takes place when? character creation, by definition, is start of game.  is odd that you would not realize. no need for further clarification? 

btw, Please reread. am not complaining 'cause we didn't get to see what we wished. getting to see very basic combat mechanics were having some use. tutorial combat does at least show how interface works and some basic mechanics... although showing d&d rat killing without context o' knowing d&d rules is somewhat confusing, yes? why is Gromnir missing a rat? got feedback text enabled? no? why not? if yes, what the hell is thac0 and how are these numbers being calculated? am complaining 'cause at this late date, there is a great deal we do not know. to offer little that is new/news and have e3 game "journalists" not ask why? that is the gripe.

also, am hoping you really don't believe that the backers o' poe ain't concerned about character generation. is not much we can say to that. tell you what, if you honest believe that, create a seeming silly poll that actual asks question: do you care about character generation in Pillars of Eternity?  most folks is gonna not understand question 'cause the possibility o' there being "no" responses will be limited to extreme small pool o' people. 

HA! Good Fun!

It is as if you don't want to understand my point. Sure, we can have opinions on how much or little information we backers have gotten so far but that is besides the point. Obsidian travel to E3, not for us backers but for those gamers who are not really aware of the existance of this game (or know quite little about it). From that perspective, I don't think char creation is the main selling point to focus on. Apparently Obsidian is having the same point of view and I don't think it's that big of a deal from an E3-perspective. If we were discussing the backer updates however, things would be different.

I also think it's a shame that you are quite rude in the way you respond. Maybe I didn't use the word 'logic' correctly, but you understood what I was trying to say. No point in being mean about it. Or do you want me to appologize to you for not having the same skill in the English language as you have?

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

is not a language thing. example:

"From that perspective, I don't think char creation is the main selling point to focus on."

we Never suggested or even implied such. is not language that is getting in your way.

*shrug*

go up and down the board and look at threads about people guessing at ability point distributions and skills and talents and many other such queries. people is guessing. we don't know. regardless o' whether or not you think glorified rat killing were as important as were character generation insofar as an e3 demo, the complete absence o' queries 'bout the absence o' character generation in the demo were odd at best. as a journalist, why would you not ask? why would you not offer obsidian response to such a query if they provided one rather than letting mannock try and invent excuses for obsidian.  Gromnir's guesses as to why there were no character generation is noted above, and they is no more likely or unlikely than mannock's guesses. that is precisely why the so-called journalists should ask. 

as for our rudeness.

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

​ps our font size gets screwy with every post. is very odd

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a little bar is displayed above the character's head - until the bar is filled, the character may not take any action.

This was debunked wasn't it?

I think they were casting, health bars or something

no it was confirmed. all actions except moving have a sort of cooldown... or delay between repetition. if you send your fighter to attack, he will swing his sword, then he will wait 2s and then swing again. the bar being filled indicates the passing of these 2s. if you move the character while it charges, the charging pauses

I sure hope there is an option to toggle it because I don't want to see them.

• Like 2

I don't think character creation was literally "absent" from that E3 build of the game; if I recall, most of the articles reference Obsidian skipping through it. If I had to guess, I'd say whoever was doing the talking in the presentation briefly described the character creation process, but, for time, said "and now we're just gonna start this up with a pre-made character."

Then, as they went through, they probably told people what stats did and whatnot. I suppose the journalists could've given a play-by-play description of "And since Calisca had like 3 more points of Dexterity than the other characters, she was hitting much more often. Because, you see, in this game, Dexterity grants you Accuracy, which, in conjunction with your opponent's defense, determines Attack Resolution," but they did not do that for whatever reason.

See, if I were a journalist, I would've done so; chocked my article full of as many details as possible. But then, who ever wants to read all the paragraphs I generally type? Annnd there you have it. It's probably more popular to give a much more generalized rundown of the features and style of the game demo shown. Especially when the stuff's not finished and tweaked; there's not much point on reporting a bunch of temporary specifics which you know are most likely going to change before release.

They usually do a more generalized preview of games, while saving the more in-depth stuff for actual reviews. Or, at least much-closer-to-launch hands-on previews, etc.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Well to everyone that says "we do know nothing at all about character creation" that simply is not true. We do not know what the UI for it looks like or if there is anything that particularly stands out from the old IE character creations (or any character creation in recent memory for that matter) but everyone could/should have good idea of the things that will be in it. Don't belive me? Well try reading Update 3 again https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-3-game-basics---your-party-your-characters-and-races . The list described there is what they said to be the minimum that will be in it and to be honest for me that minimum sounds pretty good for a mere baseline.

What I will agree on is that I cannot remember any Update that did cover the level up system. So I hope we will be getting information on that one somehow in the next couple of Updates.

Edited by Spike Spiegel 28

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

We didn't show character creation for two reasons: time and polish.  Our demo slots were only 30 minutes long, 20 minutes of which were taken up by the demo itself, leaving 10 minutes for questions and general coming/going.  I think Gromnir is right that character creation is very important in a game like this.  At the time of E3, character creation was functional but it had a lot of bugs and the interface was really rough.  Most of Roby's time recently has been spent polishing CC.  It tends to be one of the most complicated and easily-busted interfaces in the RPGs I've worked on.

Other journalists should be embarrassed at the wholly higher level of detail in this article, although I'm sure there are exceptions to this, if one's boss perhaps wants them to hold back information, for instance.

The German market tends to be more detail-oriented overall.  I don't think a details-light preview is necessarily bad (though I suspect most of the people posting on this forum would prefer as much detail as possible).

• Like 3

The German market tends to be more detail-oriented overall.  I don't think a details-light preview is necessarily bad (though I suspect most of the people posting on this forum would prefer as much detail as possible).

I suppose I took a rather bigoted viewpoint. Although I would much prefer more detail, detail-light previews have their merits, specifically in attracting the kind of crowd that doesn't like info-dumps.

"We didn't show character creation for two reasons: time and polish.  Our demo slots were only 30 minutes long, 20 minutes of which were taken up by the demo itself, leaving 10 minutes for questions and general coming/going.  I think Gromnir is right that character creation is very important in a game like this.  At the time of E3, character creation was functional but it had a lot of bugs and the interface was really rough.  Most of Roby's time recently has been spent polishing CC.  It tends to be one of the most complicated and easily-busted interfaces in the RPGs I've worked on."

a simple if somewhat disappointing response, although any response is appreciated given the inexplicable dearth o' info on some matters. if character creation weren't polished enough to be showing to the public, then we can see not wanting to show it at e3. is getting kinda late though, yes? a summer beta is still scheduled, correct? as we noted above, we suspected that character creation weren't ready for public display. regardless, is still mind boggling to us that given the relative significance o' character creation, no stories from e3 offer josh's explanation. did no journalist ask the question?  

HA! Good Fun!

No journalists asked us about character creation that I can remember.

the fact that this doesn't shock us is indicative o' how little we expect from so-called journalists who cover games. nobody asked?  terrible.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Well. Somebody is going to write an unpaid review on an obscure blog in a few years, where they write about how Pillars lets you make your characters unique and interesting from the start of the game. Rather than making you a weak farmer who needs to level up from grinding turnips for hours. While the game then is reactive to those initial choices, allowing you to develop your character further.

...or something.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Wasn't the character creation spoken of a little in one of the interviews? It wasn't asked about but Josh talked about it somewhere. I remember reading that at Character creation, you're actually viewing your character in the starting level, and the CC menu is an overlay on one side of the screen.

Wasn't the character creation spoken of a little in one of the interviews? It wasn't asked about but Josh talked about it somewhere. I remember reading that at Character creation, you're actually viewing your character in the starting level, and the CC menu is an overlay on one side of the screen.

Maybe but he also said it wasn't finished so it could easily change at any time.  Look at Original Sin, it's original character creator when the game went on early access through steam is very different from what we ended up with.

That being said I do like it when character creators place your character in an in game setting for a number of reasons.  First it lets you get an idea of what your character "really" looks like instead of getting some idealized view you will never see in game.  Second, thematically it can be pretty neat to go to creation then "pan out" and the game starts right there.   The mmo age of Conan did this really well.

Edited by Karkarov

Second, thematically it can be pretty neat to go to creation then "pan out" and the game starts right there.   The mmo age of Conan did this really well.

It's possible that's what happens in PE.