Both options being good in their own way would cool; I think raising at least two attributes ought to be optimal by a small amount though. Raising only the primary attribute seems too simple.

ideally, yes - I'd like the situation where I'm really torn between adding might and adding resolve, or whatever, because they'd both be a real benefit.

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Personally, my vote goes to the Fallout 2 system of being able to increase attributes at the cost of a perk (or in this instance, feat). I dislike the min-maxing that D+D encouraged and, like the Rhino example earlier, I think there are more immersive and interesting ways of showing progression.

• Like 1

Personally, my vote goes to the Fallout 2 system of being able to increase attributes at the cost of a perk (or in this instance, feat). I dislike the min-maxing that D+D encouraged and, like the Rhino example earlier, I think there are more immersive and interesting ways of showing progression.

This.

Edit: I assume our protagonist is a fully grown up individual at the height of their physical and mental potency, fully trained and with a background in their class. That being so, attribute advancement should be extremely rare, and rewarding of course.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Has there been any 'official' word that there would be Attribute Points ?

I would like them btw. Especially since we have a 'point-buy' system and I know from now that I will not begin with my attributes as high as I'd like to.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

That seems pretty reasonable. I wouldn't complain if Obsidian went with this idea.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

An Update focusing on character building (creation and levelling) would be a nice thing at this point.  We have a lot of information about the classes at this point, but I am interested in what will be baked in and what will be elective (talents).  With regards to attributes, I think we are all assuming point buy, but PoE system is all bonus oriented (no negative stats in attributes), so what is a starting point?  

Adding points to attributes is going to be a bit odd in this system considering that bonuses aren't uniform.  One point of intelligence adds 5% to AoE & duration of buffs, while 1 point of Might adds 2% damage.  Not sure how that will work.

Yeh , now that all classes have been covered I'd love to know how the point buy system for attributes will work specifically, if the cost of increasing an attribute will rise as it gets higher etc.

Just as long as it's that and not the Fallout THREE system, in which you could raise your attribute like 10 times, easily, at the cost of 10 perks. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Just as long as it's that and not the Fallout THREE system, in which you could raise your attribute like 10 times, easily, at the cost of 10 perks. 8P

Yeah, we were assuming this option was once every 4/5 levels. At least I thought so.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I have consistently maintained that Fallout 3 is simultaneously a decent game and a terrible rpg.

A terrible rpg? Care to elaborate why?

I personally would love a static atribute system. We already get to raise our skill points and we learn new spells and gain higher attack rating and gain feats as we level, that imho is enough to portray our characters getting "better" and advancing to me.

Also yeah lets not bring up fallout 3 rpg qualifications, while its a fun game its not a great fallout rpg per se. We will start looking like NMA in this thread lol. But yeah we do need to stay away from fallout 3 way in that u can max out EVERYTHING and very easily as well by simpy playing the game as it is. I do not want to purposely continually "gimp" my character just because they keep throwing things in my face to level up an atribute or skill.

Hell, character creation can be static and if anything needs to be raised, just have it done by enchants or magical gear or feats

Edited by redneckdevil

somewhere they discussed how the leveling up would work. They tried not to make it a long grind for levels or for loot but at the same time it'll take more than a few hours to really make meaningful progress.

Honestly it's too early to say how many points is adequate because there are more attributes that are parceled to NPC's in PoE than in other games. It may be easier to live off the environment rather than rely on gaining levels just to have one useful component for your character. 

Now, if they have "unlocks" that require a certain level and are the "bonus point" for gaining that level, I think it'd be even more interesting than just having one extra point to throw into a pool of DX or INT.