Been a while...hows things? Beta soon?

Haven't posted here in a while, been reading all the updates though. I think I remember reading something like Beta coming out by the end of this month but that's probably wrong. Really looking forward to playing this.

In the meantime I plan on checking out Divinity: Original Sin, looks really awesome.

What's new with you guys?

Yeah what Hiro said.  Most of us expect the Beta to hit either REALLY late August or in September.  Game itself will probably land in December.  Most of us here are still just chewing up the class info now that we have gotten semi detailed break downs on all of them.

Edited by Karkarov

The cool thing is that, despite the hype surrounding Divinity: OS, you continue to hear from reviewers that it's a solid play until PE comes out.  It seems our little Pillars here is the gold standard of kickstarted RPGs and folks just can't get enough of it. 

• Like 2

The cool thing is that, despite the hype surrounding Divinity: OS, you continue to hear from reviewers that it's a solid play until PE comes out.  It seems our little Pillars here is the gold standard of kickstarted RPGs and folks just can't get enough of it. 

Yeah I like the art style of PoE much better. The crafting system and environment manipulation of DOS is excellent though. 

• Like 1

Haven't posted here in a while, been reading all the updates though. I think I remember reading something like Beta coming out by the end of this month but that's probably wrong. Really looking forward to playing this.

In the meantime I plan on checking out Divinity: Original Sin, looks really awesome.

What's new with you guys?

I will not lie. Pillars has a lot to do to beat Original Sin. 

I'll still play Pillars and am sure it will be brilliant... but Original Sin just set the friggin' bar for CRPGs and for Kickstarter Games in general.

• Like 6

I'll still play Pillars and am sure it will be brilliant... but Original Sin just set the friggin' bar for CRPGs and for Kickstarter Games in general.

I have a feeling Eternity will hand Original Sin it's ass Bryy.  I have 16 hours into that game and I just don't see all the praise that is being heaped on it.  It isn't a "bad" game, but it has serious flaws.  The inventory management for example is complete ass.  Basic leveling functions like "how do I get to 2 points in a skill?" are never explained.  Tons of skills are literally useless at just one point like Pickpocketing.  Combat is not very balanced, casters and archers are heavily OP at least in the beginning.  Like I said before it starts you with two characters but if you don't leave town with 4 you are dead man.  It tells you to use your weapons to break doors sometimes... then 16 hours later has never given a door you can break with bashes yet since the tutorial dungeon.  I am only level 5-6 and I already feel like I need to loot scum because everything is random and I am getting tired of never getting skill books I can't use and  cursed potions out of every chest.

It is just obtuse as hell and this would be the first Divinity game I ever felt like you should read the manual before you even boot the game.  Even then you still probably won't have any grasp on how to play for at least 5-6 hours.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

What the guy above said. I like a game that doesn't hold your hand but that game is as obtuse as hell. The thing that really killed OS for me is the storyand writing though. For a game that was supposed to be innovative which dialogue choices and all that it has one of the laziest most cliched rpg stories I've ever seen. At one point the main character actually says something like: orcs, undead and evil cultists! We have our work cut out. Maybe they were being self aware but jesus that's the triumvirate of fantasy cliches right there

• Like 1

QFT

I'm about ten hours into Act 2... dear lord, it's three times bigger than Act 1.

@Karkarov & Grimo88

Finally, people who agree with me. I thought I was alone in my opinion. I haven't played the game but I've watch a lot of gameplay videos and I really am disappointed with the writing. It just isn't up to snuff at all. It has plenty of holes and it's just stupid and cliche, in my opinion. Also, rock paper scissors is completely silly. It gives you control of what both characters say, and then throws you into a rock paper scissors game where you have control of a single character, so much for the original idea.

Some may disagree with me, but if Pillars of Eternity turns out as good or worse than Original Sin, then I would be disappointing. I expect a lot better writing out of Obsidian than Larian.

• Like 2

Also, rock paper scissors is completely silly. It gives you control of what both characters say, and then throws you into a rock paper scissors game where you have control of a single character, so much for the original idea.

You do realize it's a co-op game, right?

Also, rock paper scissors is completely silly. It gives you control of what both characters say, and then throws you into a rock paper scissors game where you have control of a single character, so much for the original idea.

Yes, and that doesn't change my point for the single-player experience, which is what I would play.

Yes, and that doesn't change my point for the single-player experience, which is what I would play.

I'm getting the strong sense you won't play co-op/MP because "it's not the right way to play".

Is handing asses really necessary? From my point of view, I got a great Divinity game and, by the end of this year, I'm hopefully getting an awesome IE successor. If everything goes well with PoE, I'll probably end up liking it better than D:OS, because I like Infinity engine games better than Divinity anyway, but I'll play both games to death, that's for sure. 
So far the only serious problems I'm having with Divinity:Original Sin are technical ones (and I did get the friggin shaft playing it on a 32-bit system, let me tell you). Aside from that, I switched off the dialogues between PCs (disagreeing with myself is fun for 5 minutes); the inventory takes a while to get (re)used to from a modern perspective (who in their right mind thought that Ultimas have an inventory worth throwing back to?!), but it's manageable, and the story is fine, if a bit bland so far, but then again few games jump right into the interesting stuff from get-go.

Nothing gold can stay.

I'm getting the strong sense you won't play co-op/MP because "it's not the right way to play".

Nah, I just don't have anyone who would play it with me. :(

In any case, I still hate the writing, however another may like it or perhaps can ignore it.

Is handing asses really necessary?

Yes the handing of the ass is a time honored tradition that must be done in order for a game to be truly released and accepted as it leaves it's developers loving embrace.

That said I do agree that they are basically different games and can both be appreciated.  Original Sin is not a bad game, it just isn't the game I expected from Larian and I think at least for now it is getting a lot of fairly clear flaws ignored for whatever reason.  The only advice I would give anyone looking to play it is read the manual before you start and understand you need to play it like a min maxer, it is very very easy to walk out of cyseal with a crap set up and just get owned.

• Like 1

I don't see why one game HAS to be better than the other. They are 2 different things. Apart from the isometric view, there is nothing alse in common between them. One may enjoy both games equally for what they are. I don't get the fanboysm "PoE will kick DOS's ass / PoE must try super hard to be as good as DOS" wtf? Who cares, we got 1 great (at my oppinion) or at least good rpg (that is DOS) and we are waiting for another one at the ned of the year that also looks it's gona be great (not to mention Wasteland 2 inbetween - a different beast). This is the freaking best year for pcrpgs since a loooong time. Let's play those games and enjoy (or not) them. No need to act like children and fanboys/fangirls or whatever.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Is handing asses really necessary?

Yes the handing of the ass is a time honored tradition that must be done in order for a game to be truly released and accepted as it leaves it's developers loving embrace.

Ah, it's Confucius stuff then. I see.

• Like 1

Nothing gold can stay.