Hail the SSD!

I've just upgraded my desktop pc, and for the first time, I opted for a SSD as my main.

Let me just say this: It's fantastic! It's notably faster, and it's also super-silent.

I'm pleasantly surprised, and I will most likely get another down the road. :) 

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Maybe I'm using my SSD wrong, (120GB PNY XLR8 as my system drive), but...I honestly haven't noticed *that* big of a difference switching from an HDD to an SSD. And from an extremely old HDD to boot, (a ten year old 80GB SATA 1 drive that had a maximum read speed of like 20MB/s...eugh, that thing was slow, :p). Sure, boot up is about...uh...I'd say...five to ten times faster, but, I mean, you bootup maybe three times *at max* in a day, so I don't feel like that's that big of a deal - and also it's an unfair comparison, given the datedness of my previous system drive. My browser loads up in about the same time it used to - but maybe that's because it's usually cached in my 8GB of RAM, anyways. Um...searching through my registry editor is faster, but I don't do that too often. ...Control panel usually loads instantly - that's neat, I guess. :p

So what're the other huge performance benefits everyone else seems to see from just using their computer normally?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

A lot of the booting process is disk-independent stuff going on with the BIOS and whatnot. Modern motherboards boot a lot faster in general - e.g. my 2010 desktop takes maybe 4-5 times longer to boot than my Haswell HTPC, despite the desktop having a faster SSD in every way.

The other stuff, well, depends on the applications you load really, office suites and that kind of thing are notoriously slow loading. It's also not having to wait for a spinup to access documents, music, etc. I'm all SSD these days - no spindle drive in my desktop - so I see the benefit in my games as well. Back when I played WoW, levels were several times faster.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've mainly noticed that compressing files in and out of zip/rar is a great deal faster. And yes, games load in an instant, to the point where I have no time to read the loading screen tips in most games I play!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Jumped on the SSD bandwagon in 2011 and haven't looked back since. Huge difference.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Has the PS4 been shown benefit from an SSD? I remember an article about the PS3 about how while it could use an SSD in that it'd use it just like the stock hard drive, there was basically nil benefit to doing so because of some architectural limitations that bottleneck anything faster than a regular spindle drive anyway.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The conclusion was that the PS4 did show benefits with an SSD but because of the way games were being designed it was no more than hybrid drives which were still very quick compared to HDD. I think it's because games were being designed to cache in a way to get around the slow speed of a HDD therefore they weren't using the SSD as much as would be required to gain the full benefits.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

A SSD will make you system and games load faster, but it won't do anything for their performance (framerate).  It can reduce loading times, though it you have enough RAM it won't matter, but it won't affect framerates one bit.

That said, I've definitely enjoyed the change from 7200 RPM HDD tro SDD.  It's not life altering, or anything, but everything loading up faster is nice.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It can reduce loading times, though it you have enough RAM it won't matter

Uh, what? How would increased RAM help your HDD/SSD load the necessary files for level transitions? RAM would help if those files were *already* loaded, as in, if you've already been to the area you're transitioning to and already had the files loaded in your RAM, but that information is cleared away for efficiency in most cases anyways, even if you have way enough RAM for it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It can reduce loading times, though it you have enough RAM it won't matter

Uh, what? How would increased RAM help your HDD/SSD load the necessary files for level transitions? RAM would help if those files were *already* loaded, as in, if you've already been to the area you're transitioning to and already had the files loaded in your RAM, but that information is cleared away for efficiency in most cases anyways, even if you have way enough RAM for it.

I have a morbid fascination with the people that gloat about how they have four sticks of 2400MHZ RAM and a 4TB SSD.

I'm all... you know that doesn't mean anything, right? That's like putting coal in a train that's already full of coal.

Then they tell me how many cores they have.

I have a morbid fascination with the people that gloat about how they have four sticks of 2400MHZ RAM and a 4TB SSD.

I'm all... you know that doesn't mean anything, right? That's like putting coal in a train that's already full of coal.

Then they tell me how many cores they have.

As always it depends on what you are using it for. If they are using it to play games then high frequency ram won't do diddly squat and anything past 4 cores won't count. But if they are using it to render or encode or perhaps for video work, then the difference will always be noticeable, because you will always have numbers to compare. The better the components the faster the work will be done.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP