To the Mysoginist Writer in Bioware

Bester

But the Night Hag may start thinking the Romance is superficial if you always expect her to look like someone else during moments of intimacy :biggrin:

I don't really think ugly people are especially attached to being ugly, even less so if they have an at-will capacity to shapeshift at hand :p

But that is only if they consider themselves to be ugly, and there is of course the question what is true form of person that has capacity to shapeshift to about any for at-will. :)

best game romance for us don't even have a close second: ravel puzzelwell & the nameless one. 

Gromnir would you say you found Ravel attractive as a Romance option if she had been one?

And there is judgement here, I generally never question anyone's Romance interest

the insurmountable flaws inherent in bio-style romances that we has identified ad nauseum would turn the love o' ravel for the nameless one into something trite, juvenile and laughable. your incarnation o' the nameless one has no history with ravel, and almost immediately after meeting her, the core ravel, the real ravel, is dead. there is, thankfully, no basis for anything other than an unrequited love. alter ravel character such that she were capable o' being won via the sex-'em-up companion mini-game would require fundamental changes. a romanceable ravel would be different. ravel would be different and not better.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

best game romance for us don't even have a close second: ravel puzzelwell & the nameless one. 

Gromnir would you say you found Ravel attractive as a Romance option if she had been one?

And there is judgement here, I generally never question anyone's Romance interest

the insurmountable flaws inherent in bio-style romances that we has identified ad nauseum would turn the love o' ravel for the nameless one into something trite, juvenile and laughable. your incarnation o' the nameless one has no history with ravel, and almost immediately after meeting her, the core ravel, the real ravel, is dead. there is, thankfully, no basis for anything other than an unrequited love. alter ravel character such that she were capable o' being won via the sex-'em-up companion mini-game would require fundamental changes. a romanceable ravel would be different. ravel would be different and not better.

HA! Good Fun!

That's a good answer, its not what I expected. Well played sir :thumbsup:

Sometimes it may seem like I ask a strange or random question but there is  often method to my madness

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Like they're trying to lure in an extra lonely kind of videogame playing geek and it's just uncomfortable to even think about."

No such thing. All video game playing geeks are lonely so they can't be 'extra lonely'.

Is that joke still funny?

Was that ever remotely true?

Or is it just in the US? Americans.

• Like 1

"Like they're trying to lure in an extra lonely kind of videogame playing geek and it's just uncomfortable to even think about."

No such thing. All video game playing geeks are lonely so they can't be 'extra lonely'.

taking vol serious, about anything, is what is funny. don't be that guy.

is not your fault, 'cause chances are you don't know better, but vol reason is not necessarily human reason.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

taking vol serious, about anything, is what is funny. don't be that guy.

is not your fault, 'cause chances are you don't know better, but vol reason is not necessarily human reason.

HA! Good Fun!

Don't worry, it didn't go over my head. Which is why I wondered whether that joke was still funny.

Not upset. Just curious. Honest.

going back to Gaider for a second.

I had the displeasure of going through the first half of Anomen's personal quest. and the writing there is terribad... I understand that Gaider, if he wrote it, was probably an inexperienced hack, so it's no wonder. but seriously, it already shows how bad he is at writing characters... and his dialogues are cringe worthy 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

going back to Gaider for a second.

I had the displeasure of going through the first half of Anomen's personal quest. and the writing there is terribad... I understand that Gaider, if he wrote it, was probably an inexperienced hack, so it's no wonder. but seriously, it already shows how bad he is at writing characters... and his dialogues are cringe worthy 

Gaider worked as designer in BG2 and in my understanding he didn't become part of Bioware's writing team until Kotor, where he was provided writing for HK-47, Jolee Bindo and Carth Onasi characters. He become lead writer in NWN Hordes of Under Dark and then again in Dragon Age franchise.

• Like 1

Being one of the creators of the Pop Demand Mod (only found that because of a twitter response to one alanschu) for Victoria 2 means that Dave Gaider is and always will be Awesome in my book.

Really though, there's some truly terrible writing in video games and while Bioware has some hiccups they're far, far, far from the worst- unless you're worried about being infected with the gay or general liberalism or something, and I'm reliably informed you can't catch either by osmosis.

• Like 1

what bothers me the most is the uneven writing in BG2. it's really bad mixed with really good. with mediocre in between. 

but in a game of this scope, of course, it would be hard to have all writing be stellar. you can tell by the amount of typos in the text.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Please stop writing alpha as alfa you are only making me think of delicious alfalfa.

While I'm at it: Alpha/Beta/Omega is a load of complete pseudopsychology nonsense primarily propagated by PUAs/MRAs and related communities.

Also, I've yet to meet a romance option in a videogame that wasn't some flavor of pandering and bad.

As long as you reject the Truth, you'll always be an omega, my friend. Just look and learn:

What do I have to do to be a xi? I think that'd be neat on my resume.

Life ain't fair.

To expect that every group or desire recieves equal amount of attention or content will never happen.

That said, everyone has the right to fight for what they desire.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Also, it would be best not to assume too much about someone just based on a few sentances of text and use of words.

While it may seem clear to you that you know exactly what they meant and HOW they meant it, in 99% of cases, it's not true.

So let's keep this civil without calling people racist or stuff just because they said "Black Guy" or whatever.

Also, it would be best not to assume too much about someone just based on a few sentances of text and use of words.

While it may seem clear to you that you know exactly what they meant and HOW they meant it, in 99% of cases, it's not true.

So let's keep this civil without calling people racist or stuff just because they said "Black Guy" or whatever.

if she had said, "there was an npc in NWN that you could romance: the black guy," do you think anybody woulda' cared? puhlease. 

"that movie was ok, the one with the black guy. no, Not after earth. it won all the awards last year. not __________ either. are you high? what awards did fast and furious 6 win? no, the movie, with the guy from that horrible movie where angelina jolie played a russian sleeper-spy?"

"what is the American president's name? which president? the current president, the black guy."

see, simple say "black guy" doesn't get anybody roasted. the last one looks a bit ignorant, but not 'cause 'o "black guy" so much as 'cause who doesn't know who the US president is?

suggest that people get attacked just 'cause they say, "black guy." yeah, that deserves a slap with a moldering trout.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

That is the biggest problem on the internet. Everything you write or do does offend someone and then he tries to blame you for it. Political correctness is such a dangerous thing over the internet when you try to push it to people you do not even know except a tweet or forum post.  Everyone jumps to conclusion and the social justice mob jumps on board to see the internet world burn once again.

Back than you called it Witch hunt. 

Edited by Darji
  • Like 1

Strange. I always thought they put Anomen in there to make the game more appealing to girls. I was provoked by the fact that the female chars in BG2 all spoke, acted and looked like a bunch of prepubescent prom queens.

I think Jaheira is pretty cool

Walsingham said:

That is the biggest problem on the internet. Everything you write or do does offend someone and then he tries to blame you for it. Political correctness is such a dangerous thing over the internet when you try to push it to people you do not even know except a tweet or forum post.  Everyone jumps to conclusion and the social justice mob jumps on board to see the internet world burn once again.

Back than you called it Witch hunt. 

Internet is full of people who have nothing better to do than to look for things to be offended about (often time in others peoples names... social justice white knights indeed.).

Everyone should grow a thicker skin.

People assume like they have a god-given right to NOT be offended. You don't. Freedom of speech means you will be hearing things you don't like. Learn to deal with it, instead of rising an alarm and demanding that the entire world owes you an apology and everything you don't like should be censored (implicitly or explicitly)