Excellent read on more progressive games

BruceVC

I'm not saying an antogonist boss-style character... I mean on the most basic level, generic enemies that you usually plow through by the hundreds/thousands during the course of a game.

Oh..okay

Its actually an interesting point. Personally I probably would have an issue going into a room and killing hundreds of women. And reason is I know about the prevalence of violence against women and children that exists in RL. I wouldn't be able to separate that from the fact its just a game

But you don't have a problem killing hundreds of men?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm not saying an antogonist boss-style character... I mean on the most basic level, generic enemies that you usually plow through by the hundreds/thousands during the course of a game.

Oh..okay

Its actually an interesting point. Personally I probably would have an issue going into a room and killing hundreds of women. And reason is I know about the prevalence of violence against women and children that exists in RL. I wouldn't be able to separate that from the fact its just a game

No because there isn't a  societal problem with violence against men

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"And reason is I know about the prevalence of violence against women and  children that exists in RL. I wouldn't be able to separate that from the fact its just a game"

"No because there isn't a  societal problem with violence against men"

You must be joking because your facts are hilarious. Men are victims of violence just as much if not more so than women and children. I know it's shocking but it's a fact.

'No prevalence of violence against men'. HAHAHAHA!

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"And reason is I know about the prevalence of violence against women and  children that exists in RL. I wouldn't be able to separate that from the fact its just a game"

You must be joking because your facts are hilarious. Men are victims of violence just as much if not more so than women and children. I know it's shocking but it's a fact.

No you misunderstand me my Canadian friend

I said there isn't a societal issue with violence against men. In other words violence and abuse  perpetuated against men by women is much less.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't think it's a problem. If a woman is armed and attacking you, there's really no societal issue here.

There are some good fantasy settings where men and women are equal and it works fine. For example, my favorite author Steven Brust* does a fine job of creating a world where a woman is just as likely to be a badass warrior (or sorcerer, or assassin) as a man.

It often strikes me as so strange to see these arguments where people formulate these hypothetical questions "what if there were women and you had to fight them" etc, and then come to the conclusion that the inequality we see in games, books and films is justified in some way. No, it isn't. If the world is done right, if these women aren't victimized, then it will simply not be a problem.

*) Read him. Now. Vlad Taltos series. So good.

• Like 1

I said there isn't a societal issue with violence against men. In other words violence and abuse  perpetuated against men by women is much less.

That's probably the most sexist thing I've read on these forums. Men are the victims of more violence than women and children. Violence against men is deemed more acceptable by society. Men are expected to fight in wars, defend others, and generally be more willing to put themselves in danger.

• Like 2

Violence against men isn't a societal issue? What's the criteria for something that makes it a societal issue?

It has to involve some kind of minority.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh..okay

No because there isn't a societal problem with violence against men

So you'rd fine with killing hundreds of people. That is pretty ****ed up.

Wow Bruce, this is wong on so many levels.

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/ID41H3a.pdf

"The results in the first part of this paper show that almost one-third of the female as well as male students physically assaulted a dating partner in the 12 month study period, and that the most frequent pattern was mutuality in violence, i.e. both were violent, followed by “female-only” violence.Violence by only the male partner was the least frequent pattern according to both male and female participants."

It is really terrible to perpetuate that myth, it does nothing but hurt men and women.

That's pretty funny. Why doesn't mowing down men bother you, then ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"In other words violence and abuse  perpetuated against men by women is much less."

This simply isn't true. Victims of violence are just if not more likely to be men. I know that isn't what people may want you to believe but it's a fact.

Edited by Volourn

Women in my experience are more about the emotional abuse than the physical. Why hit when you can ruin them socially?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"In other words violence and abuse  perpetuated against men by women is much less."

This simply isn't true. Victims of violence are just if not more likely to be men. I know that isn't what people may want you to believe but it's a fact.

"by women"

Violence between men is a lot more likely, women vs men not so much. Although I do recall the reading a forum post by a someone who claimed that he was a marine that he was suffering from spousal abuse and didn't know what to do, suffice it to say that he ended up without his kids and facing charges despite being the injured party.

Kind of ****ed up when the courts determine that the first to take the children during a conflict has more claim since moving them would be too strenuous for them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't see how it matters who is performing the violence. The context in games isn't even close to domestic violence, it's more likely to be close to the violence perpetuated against men. It makes zero sense to me to bring up violence against women as a problem that effects video game violence, but other forms of violence are fine. My point of view is video game violence is fictional, so it's not effected by real world violence at all.

On the domestic violence topic, the problem with the studies that show more female violence is that it's not that big a problem, doesn't result in serious injury or even injury at all, I couldn't give a **** about that. When we talk about domestic violence as a problem we're talking about the minority of cases, almost all perpetrators are men: battering, rape, imprisonment, stalking, murder.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

On the domestic violence topic, the problem with the studies that show more female violence is that it's not that big a problem, doesn't result in serious injury or even injury at all, I couldn't give a **** about that.

As a victim of this type of violence I can assure you it is a problem. But thanks for dismissing me like everyone else. I guess I should just grow a pair of balls eh?

You are a man. Your job is to bang as many women as you can, get the pregnant, then die. Much like certain spiders. And, if the women kill you after you get them pregant, that's all the better.

Violence against men isn't a societal issue? What's the criteria for something that makes it a societal issue?

It has to involve some kind of minority.

Ah I see. In some parts of the world, men are in the minority.

I would've thought something like domestic violence is a societal issue, regardless of sex. When I look at a list of societal issues which includes domestic violence, they don't exclude violence against men.

"Ah I see. In some parts of the world, men are in the minority."

Actually, women outnumber men. So, men actually are the minority.

And this is exactly why I brought the subject up. For all the demands of equity from members, they don't want to deal with the politics of mowing down a small mountain of women despite mowing down mountain upon mountain of male generic enemies.

On one hand we've got the Assassins Creed "Give us a female protagonist" crew who demand that a female protagonist be put in the game because of a stupid comment, but at the same time those same people would say "But you shouldn't put in female enemies because that'd be to much like domestic violence!"

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So one has to ask why, considering that men have been the ones who fought, died and sacrificed for their countries throughout time, that we do not have a "Video Game Tropes against Men?" Where is our Arnold Suckitandsee, complaining of the thousands of dead males in video games, reinforcing the idea that we are all expendable. That we are just wage slaves, who must marry, provide for their female masters every whim and produce offspring, and then as Mr Volourn points out have we fulfilled our function? Reducing us to gunfodder, providers, taxpayers and breeders rather than sapient beings, worthy in their own right.

One could make a very strong argument without even much research that we have been the victims of a Matriarchy, and that we are only now breaking free of that environment and the societal roles forced upon us. I wonder why nobody has embraced such a philosophy? Or have they and I am simply ignorant of this movement? After all there's always a great attraction in playing the victim, or championing them, it lends a certain air of moral invulnerability, and of course a surefire belief that one is right.

Interesting thought Mr Calax.

Edit: Then again I would be mainly interested in seeing such a movement arise for the sheer humourness of it, sure to provoke outrage and many heated debates.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

On one hand we've got the Assassins Creed "Give us a female protagonist" crew who demand that a female protagonist be put in the game because of a stupid comment, but at the same time those same people would say "But you shouldn't put in female enemies because that'd be to much like domestic violence!"

I can't tell you how often I see on the news stories about a man leaping from a building onto his wife, assaulting her with his hidden blades, and then escaping from the police by hiding on a park bench. These violent video games are wrecking our society.

• Like 2