Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Character Custom History/Biography

wasteland 2 character generator creation biography history chargen

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I did hear that the questions asked about your past by the NPCs in the opening will further define your backstory if you so choose (or you can choose to remain a blank slate).  I think this is a great idea.  Should allow us to pick 'killed slave-master to escape' or 'bought freedom through hard-work' and wotnot.

The demos they did for ign, giant bomb and others showed that picking slave lets you further define yourself as a galley slave, a slave on a farming estate or an indentured servant.

• Lephys and Silent Winter like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
That's pretty great! I realize that there are only so many branches of specific background that they can feasibly include, but it's good when it's more than just a tiny handful of choices.

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

Curator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I did hear that the questions asked about your past by the NPCs in the opening will further define your backstory if you so choose (or you can choose to remain a blank slate).  I think this is a great idea.  Should allow us to pick 'killed slave-master to escape' or 'bought freedom through hard-work' and wotnot.

The demos they did for ign, giant bomb and others showed that picking slave lets you further define yourself as a galley slave, a slave on a farming estate or an indentured servant.

Did they say whether your answer to that question in-game is stored and referenced later? It could very well just be a one-off thing.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
That's true, but it seems like a pretty big waste of dialogue if it was just some flavor stuff. Especially if it's that way for all the different backgrounds. It would also kind of a crappy thing to do, in an RPG like this. "Oh hey, look, my background matters! Wait... awwwwww.... no it doesn't, -___-"

Edited by Lephys, 11 August 2014 - 03:05 PM.

Panteleimon

Panteleimon

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

That's true, but it seems like a pretty big waste of dialogue if it was just some flavor stuff. Especially if it's that way for all the different backgrounds. It would also kind of a crappy thing to do, in an RPG like this. "Oh hey, look, my background matters! Wait... awwwwww.... no it doesn't, -___-"

They've also specifically said that it will be referenced occasionally throughout the game.

For a guy who posts as much as you do around here, I'd think you'd take a few minutes to watch one of the zillion demos Mr. Sawyer has walked the media through.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If the vast majority of my minutes weren't spent in video-free space, I'd gladly take oodles of them to watch everything in existence. :)

Also, I'm aware of that comment, but I couldn't tell you exactly how much "occasionally" is, in any specific quantity of references throughout the game, nor can I say anything about the extent of the significance of those references.

Perhaps I should've assured that it won't be, specifically, just a one-time thing. But, just a two-time thing would also fit with "occasionally," and that would still be pretty disappointing. My hopes are that it will be a decently consequence-producing character trait.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wasteland 2, character, generator, creation, biography, history, chargen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users