Dragon Age: Inquisition

am suspecting a venn diagram o' PoE and DA:i purchasers would be showing considerable overlap. all one need do is look at the "which games will you be playing soon" threads here and at other crpg sites to recognize that a goodly number o' folks who were anticipating the release o' PoE were also planning on buying DA:i.

that being said, some % o' folks have the means and wherewithal to purchase both games regardless o' release date timing. am also thinking that obsidian could be pushing back their release date following their beta... 'cause gosh, that never happens, yes? it will be interesting to watch how this all unfolds.

HA! Good Fun!

And some, admittedly very few, have realized that you can buy games also after their release month.

That said, this doesn't look very good. Either the game's a mess and they are taking all the time they can physically have to finish it into some semblance of shape... or November's less crowded this year than it's been in the last few and they're profiting of it to give their first game on the new engine and after two... controversial ones an extra layer of polish. Still, colour me worried.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

They need more time to to add in that lovely horde mode hacko-slasho-button-o-masho multiplayer to file out the EA status quo of course.

Edited by TheChris92

am suspecting a venn diagram o' PoE and DA:i purchasers would be showing considerable overlap. all one need do is look at the "which games will you be playing soon" threads here and at other crpg sites to recognize that a goodly number o' folks who were anticipating the release o' PoE were also planning on buying DA:i.

that being said, some % o' folks have the means and wherewithal to purchase both games regardless o' release date timing. am also thinking that obsidian could be pushing back their release date following their beta... 'cause gosh, that never happens, yes? it will be interesting to watch how this all unfolds.

HA! Good Fun!

And some, admittedly very few, have realized that you can buy games also after their release month.

That said, this doesn't look very good. Either the game's a mess and they are taking all the time they can physically have to finish it into some semblance of shape... or November's less crowded this year than it's been in the last few and they're profiting of it to give their first game on the new engine and after two... controversial ones an extra layer of polish. Still, colour me worried.

we bought mass effect 3 just over a year after its initial release. by waiting, we got a more stable and polished product and we got it cheaper-- though not as cheap as we had expected.  am not sure why, but we were expecting a 50% markdown. 

seems like a short delay to be getting concerned bout 'specially as ea ain't even moving da:i release out o' the same fiscal quarter. heck, they is still making the release contemporaneous with Thanksgiving and other than the aforementioned PoE, we can't think o' other major crpgs being released at the same time. 

too early for us to do chicken little. 'course we again plan on waiting 12 months before buying the recent bioware release,  so...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My guess it has something to do with MP, nothing has been said about the MP, apart from 'it has it'.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

My guess it has something to do with MP, nothing has been said about the MP, apart from 'it has it'.

Urgh. I'm not sure when they've last even talked about it, I'd actually forgotten that. Oh, well...

Urgh. I'm not sure when they've last even talked about it, I'd actually forgotten that. Oh, well...

Previously, back when EA said all their games will have an online component, Bio said yes, ours will too... But they also counted stuff like DA:O's online profiles being that.

So I wouldn't make too many assumptions about it, until they actually say something detailed.

"That said, this doesn't look very good. Either the game's a mess and they are taking all the time they can physically have to finish it into some semblance of shape... or November's less crowded this year than it's been in the last few and they're profiting of it to give their first game on the new engine and after two... controversial ones an extra layer of polish. Still, colour me worried."

Games are delayed all the time. No big deal. AS long as it doesn't  fall into Duke Nuke 'Em territory it is meaningless.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was only a marketing thing, or they wanted to compete with PoE(trying to gimp it), in their mind(probably) PoE is a direct competitor.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Really? Because I'd have thought PoE would be rather niche and beneath EA and Bioware's notice as far as competition goes. PoE is big news to us internet nerds but how many people who don't frequent gaming sites will have even heard of it? 

• Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised if it was only a marketing thing, or they wanted to compete with PoE(trying to gimp it), in their mind(probably) PoE is a direct competitor.

That would be just retarded, considering that most people getting poe have, you know, already paid for it...

• Like 1

That would be just retarded, considering that most people getting poe have, you know, already paid for it...

That would be an epic failure for PoE if it didn't sell any copies on release. I expect 200k of initial copies sold, but some(most) people here seem to think that PoE will sell 1 million.

Really? Because I'd have thought PoE would be rather niche and beneath EA and Bioware's notice as far as competition goes. PoE is big news to us internet nerds but how many people who don't frequent gaming sites will have even heard of it? 

I don't think it is. Remember that Dragon Age was supposed to be Baldur's Gate gate spiritual successor too. If PoE shows it self to be the better spiritual successor, it could seriously gimp DA in the PC market (where it is already down for the count).

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I doubt that PoE will sell a million, but a couple hundred thousand is pretty reasonable, especially if we(backers) give it plenty of good word of mouth.

I would wager that DAI was pushed forward to be newer during the holiday shopping, where more console copies will probably be sold. Don't really care myself, as I'm more likely to pick up a UA or wait until it is cheap and patched before purchase.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They're making Cassandra bi after all.

Maybe for the next game they will save time and just make a hump animation that spouts sexy one liners, so you can romance everything. It would be a tremendous time saver if they'll just let the autistic connect with whatever they want.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"or they wanted to compete with PoE(trying to gimp it), in their mind(probably) PoE is a direct competitor."

L0L But, no.

"I doubt that PoE will sell a million, but a couple hundred thousand is pretty reasonable, especially if we(backers) give it plenty of good word of mouth."

\

If it doesn't sell at least a million copies, it is a failure. Obsidian is not some rinky dinky organization. It's a veteran RPg devloper with games that have sold millions. In fact, their best selling game has outsold BIO's best selling excuses. No excuses. people who expect Obsidian's games to bomb disrespect Obsidian, and yes, 200k sales, is a bomb.

"If PoE shows it self to be the better spiritual successor, it could seriously gimp DA in the PC market (where it is already down for the count)."

\

\L0L

My suspicion is that the delay has a lot more to do with the fact that BioWare haven't ever built an open-world game (even this semi-open world style of DA:I).  Well, unless you want to count BG, I suppose, but I wouldn't.  In any case, they're probably running into types of bugs they haven't dealt with much before, and in order to not have their first foray into the open-world style of gaming be a buggy mess, they likely asked EA for extra time.  Which BioWare got, because EA knows that they need a success here. 

• Like 2

My suspicion is that the delay has a lot more to do with the fact that BioWare haven't ever built an open-world game (even this semi-open world style of DA:I).  Well, unless you want to count BG, I suppose, but I wouldn't.  In any case, they're probably running into types of bugs they haven't dealt with much before, and in order to not have their first foray into the open-world style of gaming be a buggy mess, they likely asked EA for extra time.  Which BioWare got, because EA knows that they need a success here. 

Even with crunch time a month isn't enough time to get that much polish on the game, hopefully it was a publisher decision to push back the date closer to the holidays rather than because of a fault with the game. Because if its the latter we will probably see it on the final product and I kind of want this game to be good.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Can't see any real reason to think that this particular delay means that the game will be crap/ in trouble any more than any other delay means any other game is crap or in trouble. All it means is that I might actually get around to buying myself a new computer to replace my eight year old faithful before its release.

Previously, back when EA said all their games will have an online component, Bio said yes, ours will too... But they also counted stuff like DA:O's online profiles being that.

So I wouldn't make too many assumptions about it, until they actually say something detailed.

If I were forced at gunpoint to speculate I would say that it will have co-op as an MP component. But since I'm not being forced at gunpoint I won't.

My suspicion is that the delay has a lot more to do with the fact that BioWare haven't ever built an open-world game (even this semi-open world style of DA:I). Well, unless you want to count BG, I suppose, but I wouldn't. In any case, they're probably running into types of bugs they haven't dealt with much before, and in order to not have their first foray into the open-world style of gaming be a buggy mess, they likely asked EA for extra time. Which BioWare got, because EA knows that they need a success here.

Even with crunch time a month isn't enough time to get that much polish on the game, hopefully it was a publisher decision to push back the date closer to the holidays rather than because of a fault with the game. Because if its the latter we will probably see it on the final product and I kind of want this game to be good.

Well, an extra five weeks is still valuable time. I'm not saying that the game is currently broken, but probably that they believe the game wasn't going to come up to the standard of polish they wanted in time for a 7 October release. That's certainly what all their official statements are saying.

Now, it's totally possible that a closer date to the holidays makes the delay more palatable to EA, but I have trouble crediting that as the driving impulse.

If it doesn't sell at least a million copies, it is a failure. Obsidian is not some rinky dinky organization. It's a veteran RPg devloper with games that have sold millions. In fact, their best selling game has outsold BIO's best selling excuses. No excuses. people who expect Obsidian's games to bomb disrespect Obsidian, and yes, 200k sales, is a bomb.

I honestly can't see PoE selling a million, as great as I hope it will be. Isometric RPG, man.

Look at the D:OS sales, 150,000 so far? Certainly nothing to be sniffed at. We're a niche that want this kind of thing. The big money RPGs are the big shiny ones like W3 and DA:I.

Having said that, a month extra for DA:I for them to get it perfect sounds great and as others have already said, EA letting a game be pushed back can only be a good thing, even if it is to catch the early holiday season. We'll ignore what happened to Watch Dogs. You cheeky minxes at Bioware.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

"I honestly can't see PoE selling a million, as great as I hope it will be. Isometric RPG, man.

Look at the D:OS sales, 150,000 so far? Certainly nothing to be sniffed at. We're a niche that want this kind of thing. The big money RPGs are the big shiny ones like W3 and DA:I."

If PE doesn't sell a million it's a failure. Isometric RPGs have sold over a million. Obsidian has released multiple games that have sold well over a million. This game has been heavily hyped in the gaming media. There is no excuse for this game not selling lots. DOS is a joke. The fanboys are overrating its popularity. They brag about 250k or so sales for it but ignore the fact that  DD (the game it leeches from) sold over a million.

\

Bottom line is if PE can't reach million sales it be an EPIC FAIL.

"I honestly can't see PoE selling a million, as great as I hope it will be. Isometric RPG, man.

Look at the D:OS sales, 150,000 so far? Certainly nothing to be sniffed at. We're a niche that want this kind of thing. The big money RPGs are the big shiny ones like W3 and DA:I."

If PE doesn't sell a million it's a failure. Isometric RPGs have sold over a million. Obsidian has released multiple games that have sold well over a million. This game has been heavily hyped in the gaming media. There is no excuse for this game not selling lots. DOS is a joke. The fanboys are overrating its popularity. They brag about 250k or so sales for it but ignore the fact that  DD (the game it leeches from) sold over a million.

\

Bottom line is if PE can't reach million sales it be an EPIC FAIL.

Well, you can't really compare it to the older isometric RPGs (BG2):

1. POE has more competition, especially the big budget RPGs. While there weren't a lot of big games produced 15 years ago.

2. Nowadays, people prefer 3D graphics, while there weren't a lot of fully 3D games 15 years ago.

3. Isometric RPG doesn't appeal to today's standards. BG2 for example was a high end game in its time. The genre has now shifted towards a niche.

Just because a product used to sell well, doesn't mean it will do the same 10 years later.

It's like saying: Walkman used to be a huge succes, so if we reintroduce walkman with upgraded features, we should expect approximately the same salesfigure.

Edited by Kiofs

It's Volo, why bother arguing? 

I imagine that Obsidian would be ecstatic with a million sales and would be hoping for such a figure, but they need nothing like that to be successful, and that's fact.

I agree with this sentiment, I don't think 1 million sales is impossible but its unlikely. I am hoping for 600-800 k in sales figures

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela