Dragon Age: Inquisition

God I hate EA.

Who knows, maybe this is the kind of dreck, that all of the junior developers wanted the company to produce, when the good doctors were forcing them to produce quality, RPGs for the PC?

Wow, now I seen everything.

I've seen "BioWare was never good" posts, and I've seen "EA magically corrupted them like poison" posts. But now I've seen "there were evil devs in the company held in line by the good devs".

The Good Doctors always - let me repeat: always - wanted to be rockstars, and Rockstar. They have said in countless interviews that everything wrong with DA2 was their fault. This was after they left the company (which most likely had nothing to do with EA's management and everything to do with them just wanting out). 

Look. I've talked to DA2 devs. I know the bull**** that went on. Not all of it, of course, but enough to get a good picture. So it's not like I'm color coating it because I want my genitals inside EA's female workers or something (yes, someone actually accused me of this). 

But there is no such thing as Good vs. Evil. 

• Like 1

Even David Gaider cannot answer my question in BSN, he even don't want to answer, because there is no answer

Because there is no question. Please return there and keep asking it forever. 

Be kind, I believe its our duty to rehabilitate those that have lurked on the BioBoards. Have you no pity? 

pity? no.

that being said, we will observe that if gaider has ignored qistina, then we will metaphorical tip our hat to the biowarian for his unexpected good sense in this matter.

HA! Good Fun!

I am no longer a member of BSN, don't bother...but if you want to, my nickname there is Nizaris, and then Qistina, and then Boycott Bioware, then perma banned lol

I don't mind about it, i am done with Bioware anyway...i asked a way on how to deactivate my account, they never answer because they actually don't want anyone to leave the forum because of it's game related for online features...we can delete our account in the old BSN, but the new one (The Bioware Forum) cannnot...

The only mods i respected at least is Alan Schumarcher, the rest i lost my respect...especially the numbered ones (BioWareMod01, 02...ect)

They cannot take criticism, and always engage it in offensive manner....

I am no longer a member of BSN, don't bother...but if you want to, my nickname there is Nizaris, and then Qistina, and then Boycott Bioware, then perma banned lol

I don't mind about it, i am done with Bioware anyway...i asked a way on how to deactivate my account, they never answer because they actually don't want anyone to leave the forum because of it's game related for online features...we can delete our account in the old BSN, but the new one (The Bioware Forum) cannnot...

The only mods i respected at least is Alan Schumarcher, the rest i lost my respect...especially the numbered ones (BioWareMod01, 02...ect)

Well welcome to these forums, I hope you have a long and happy stay :dancing:  :dancing:

And don't worry we welcome Bioware outcasts with open arms. Many members here are basically opposed to BSN and dislike them in there current form so you won't be alone in your view of Bioware, I still like BSN and I think it offers a good forum to discuss Bioware related topics like Romance.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well welcome to these forums, I hope you have a long and happy stay :dancing:  :dancing:

And don't worry we welcome Bioware outcasts with open arms. Many members here are basically opposed to BSN and dislike them in there current form so you won't be alone in your view of Bioware, I still like BSN and I think it offers a good forum to discuss Bioware related topics like Romance.

Thanks, i know Obsidian is not like Bioware :)

I delete/hide most of my commenets in The Bioware Forum before i got perma banned, so if anyone want to search won't likely to find them, but my posts remain in old BSN

Oh i avoid Romance topics....

Weirdly I still like Bio games (even if I admit that many have varying degree of issues) but I left their forums long ago (even before the infmaous "romance Bethany" thread, my connection with the place was tenuous at best; I just never gelled with the community there after the very early days).

So I'm looking forward to DA:I, to be honest.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Thanks, i know Obsidian is not like Bioware"

They're exactly like Bioware. that's neither a good or a bad hing. But, it's true.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Bioware

Obsidian

Well, they both use the letter "O", "B", "A" and "I". Other than that, they're completely different.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Thanks, i know Obsidian is not like Bioware"

They're exactly like Bioware. that's neither a good or a bad hing. But, it's true.

I know this an opinion that a lot of people have considering that Obs did sequels for high profile BW games. Aside from that they really haven't got anything in common other than the fact they both do RPGs.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

been playing BG II (arguably the best game Bioware ever produced), and I've come to several conclusions:

- things I remember liking back when I first played it I don't like at all (crapton of quests and crapton of dialogue: most dialogue is just filler, some of it is very badly written to boot; quests are also simply there to reward the party with tons of xp to get the char to epic levels faster);

- things I didn't like about it I do like kind of (dungeons, their design and layout, a lot of dungeons are very well done and have been my favorite part so far; I also like how party members have small chats every now and then, nice touch, gives depth to characters);

- I had doubts before but now I can state without a doubt: Icewind Dale is a better game in every way;

- and most importantly: Neverwinter Nights is exactly the same as BG II, only with no party to control (and the party is my favorite thing about BG II, wtf were they thinking?!);

now, Obisdian is more similar to Troika, I think; Bioware just had a different approach to designing their RPGs, and a lot of trends you see in later games can be traced all the way back to BG II. that's why I think BG II is their best game: these trends weren't so accentuated in it yet

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

- I had doubts before but now I can state without a doubt: Icewind Dale is a better game in every way;

you had me until about here

I kind of agree with this.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

been playing BG II (arguably the best game Bioware ever produced), and I've come to several conclusions:

- things I remember liking back when I first played it I don't like at all (crapton of quests and crapton of dialogue: most dialogue is just filler, some of it is very badly written to boot; quests are also simply there to reward the party with tons of xp to get the char to epic levels faster);

- things I didn't like about it I do like kind of (dungeons, their design and layout, a lot of dungeons are very well done and have been my favorite part so far; I also like how party members have small chats every now and then, nice touch, gives depth to characters);

- and most importantly: Neverwinter Nights is exactly the same as BG II, only with no party to control (and the party is my favorite thing about BG II, wtf were they thinking?!);

now, Obisdian is more similar to Troika, I think; Bioware just had a different approach to designing their RPGs, and a lot of trends you see in later games can be traced all the way back to BG II. that's why I think BG II is their best game: these trends weren't so accentuated in it yet

I admit I haven't played either of those games. They were before my time, so to say. But what I've heard of Icewind Dale doesn't make it sound appealing at all. Dungeon crawling is really not my thing. I am more inclined to take a makeshift story and makeshift characters over what most games have these days, e.g. nothing at all. That's  a big part of the reason why I can enjoy BioWare games and the Starcraft II campaigns.

To be honest, my own approach to roleplaying games is largely inconsistent. I've heard The Witcher 2 has storytelling that puts BioWare to shame, but I couldn't get into the game because I find Geralt (I think the "g" stands for Generic) boring as a brick. BioWare games, on the other hand, have character customization, so even if their characters may not be great, mine have a chance at it. However, I really enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution, even though it had a fixed protagonist. I guess I just found it a more dynamic game, and its premise was interesting enough to get me hooked where The Witcher 2 didn't. And maybe this is just a matter of perception, but Jensen felt like more of his personality was left to the player, not only through dialogue but also gameplay.

So that's why I like the cheesy, cliche, unoriginal BioWare games but can't get into IWD or TW.

Edited by Prince of Wales

What i mean about Obsidian is not like Bioware is their attitude...maybe i am wrong, i don't know...but so far i don't see or smell anything like Bioware here...

The problem with Bioware is their attitude

I think that when people assume that a corporate entity has an "attitude", they'll end up in the wrong simply because a corporation is not alive even though it behaves as a living thing. The great Leviathan and as one, made of people who are ultimately who decide and influence said attitude. Without being privy to the internal culture inside BW all we can do is speculate. 

If I had to point something out it would be the thematic differences in their works, BW has become more about the romances/companion based narrative driven games and Obs keep doing unique RPGs and being awesome at it.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

God I hate EA.

Who knows, maybe this is the kind of dreck, that all of the junior developers wanted the company to produce, when the good doctors were forcing them to produce quality, RPGs for the PC?

Wow, now I seen everything.

I've seen "BioWare was never good" posts, and I've seen "EA magically corrupted them like poison" posts. But now I've seen "there were evil devs in the company held in line by the good devs".

The Good Doctors always - let me repeat: always - wanted to be rockstars, and Rockstar. They have said in countless interviews that everything wrong with DA2 was their fault. This was after they left the company (which most likely had nothing to do with EA's management and everything to do with them just wanting out). 

Look. I've talked to DA2 devs. I know the bull**** that went on. Not all of it, of course, but enough to get a good picture. So it's not like I'm color coating it because I want my genitals inside EA's female workers or something (yes, someone actually accused me of this). 

But there is no such thing as Good vs. Evil. 

That's a whole lot heat for what was a throw-away line from me.

Of course it's not a good vs. evil thing and I'll be damned if I ever phrased it in those terms.

Whatever the case, I sort of blanked on the EA buyout timeline. NWN was indeed pretty much crapola as game if you took out the mod tools, so the doctors were probably full speed ahead with mainstreaming their games ... the only thing I can say is that what had become a company content to produce banal games also became a company producing banal games loaded down with microtransactions post EA and maybe that stands out in my mind when I think about that company now?

Edited by nikolokolus

I admit I haven't played either of those games. They were before my time, so to say. But what I've heard of Icewind Dale doesn't make it sound appealing at all. Dungeon crawling is really not my thing.

but BG II is also dungeon crawling. only it has filler quests in between dungeons in the first half of the game ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What i mean about Obsidian is not like Bioware is their attitude...maybe i am wrong, i don't know...but so far i don't see or smell anything like Bioware here...

1384838106983.gif

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think that when people assume that a corporate entity has an "attitude", they'll end up in the wrong simply because a corporation is not alive even though it behaves as a living thing. The great Leviathan and as one, made of people who are ultimately who decide and influence said attitude. Without being privy to the internal culture inside BW all we can do is speculate. 

If I had to point something out it would be the thematic differences in their works, BW has become more about the romances/companion based narrative driven games and Obs keep doing unique RPGs and being awesome at it.

Yeah, like World of Tanks. Honestly, I'd like nothing more than for you to be right, but doesn't look like it.

Full disclosure: FONV is still the latest Obsidian game I've bought. I have more hours and playthroughs in Alpha Protocol than I have in almost any other game (certainly more than any other non-Bioware game, perhaps apart from Red Alert 2), but I've been feeling a bit left out hanging by their recent work. I have an acute fear that Obsidian is either a) in a crisis b) has lost their way, but there is still Eternity to look forward to.

I'm still astounded by the amount of people with a jilted lover syndrome towards Bioware who come to this forum in a seeming competition of who can come up with the most over-the-top bull**** whine for Bioware. "Attitude"'s going to be pretty hard to beat, though.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif