Questions about paladins

I believe that I originally posted this in the wrong place. Sorry, I'm new to forums.

In the IE games my PC would usually be on the front line as a fighter, paladin, multi cleric/fighter, or something along those lines. So I was really looking forward to update 80.

How do you think paladins will compare to fighters in a tanking role? A damage role?

Do we know if the paladin abilities such as coordinated attacks, zealous march, and inspiring triumph will stack if more than one paladin is in range?

If these abilities do stack would it be better to have a few paladins in a group working off of each other rather than having  a mixture of other classes on the front line?

For my first party I was considering having 2 paladins and a barbarian up front. If the barbarian's accuracy can be boosted by both paladins then his/her carnage ability might put out some crazy damage.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas for possible synergies? I'm sorry if some of these questions have already been answered.

• Like 1

Paladins won't be able to match up as well as a tank as they have neither the deflection and passive stamina regenerative abilities of the fighter. Nor will they have their weapon specialization abilities either.

However, though they are primarily a support class, they can still be used as as a secondary frontliner and their abilities will allow that type of a build as well.

I believe having multiple paladins will allow stacking buffs, but I'm not 100% sure.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

force multipliers that can take a few hits and keep standing, I think paladins are very powerful in combat.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Ah, thread was pruned just moved. Damn.

My dark paladin would also like to know the effects of stacking abilities--even while his lordship has no plans to increase the roster--since the potential exists for a battlefield conscription of an equally-powerful female godlike dark paladin to aid in laying utter waste to the Aedyr Empire.  

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

If we're talking paladins, I'm more interested in how big the Bleak Walkers are on unconventional warfare. Like, smearing **** on arrows and catapulting plague victims to the middle of the enemy army in order to spread diseases, or using all sorts of nasty psychological warfare (say, unholy rituals to plague the dreams of my enemies with unspeakable horrors). Or am I expected to be an honorable fighter who just happens to accept no surrender from his enemies and butcher everyone within reach?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

It seems that, if they have a tank-off, the Fighter will win. But the Paladin can still do the job well, just not masterfully.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Paladins just need their trusty Holy Avenger and they will laugh at all the other classes.

They're clearly not actually going to get them though, are they.

I'm fully expecting The Holy Hand Grenade.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Paladins might not be able to take the physical punishment Fighters can, but spells that would have a Fighter curled into the fetal position will bounce off Paladins.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63968-update-56-paladins-and-wild-orlans/

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Paladin

Paladins have modal auras, powerful single-target support abilities, high defenses, and a Smite analogue in Flames of Devotion.

Yes. All paladins are extremely devoted to one cause or organization. Some of these organizations are religious, like the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr (Eothasian). Others are political, like the Brotherhood of the Five Suns (Vailian Republics). Some are just extremely devoted to a rigid way of living/working/existing, like the Goldpact Knights (essentially mercenary paladins). Paladins gain their powers from their extraordinary devotion, regardless of what their particular cause may be. Priests tend to be more philosophical, introspective, and nuanced in how they think about/approach things. Paladins don't generally heavily emphasize self-sacrifice for its own sake, but much more than priests, paladins believe that "the cause" is more important than they are -- though they often disagree with how to best help their causes.

Basically Paladins are supposed to be positioned in close proximity to other party members. You can play a melee Paladin up the front with the Fighters and Barbarians, or a Ranged Paladin back with the Wizards, Druids and Rangers.
You want your other party members to benefit from the Paladin's auras.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Why would you say that?

Because the design ethos of the game is strongly against that sort of thing? No class is going to get a ridiculous superweapon that basically exists to shore up the mechanical shortcomings of the class. I'm pretty sure Josh even said recently that NO weapons were going to be class restricted.

Why would you say that?

I don't seem them awarding a Carosymr level weapon in a game where the max level is 12 and it is supposed to be a "low to mid level adventure".

• Like 1

I don't seem them awarding a Carosymr level weapon in a game where the max level is 12 and it is supposed to be a "low to mid level adventure".

Why not, if it's appropriately hard to get it, then hell yeah it should be awarded.

Because the design ethos of the game is strongly against that sort of thing? No class is going to get a ridiculous superweapon that basically exists to shore up the mechanical shortcomings of the class. I'm pretty sure Josh even said recently that NO weapons were going to be class restricted.

It doesn't have to be class restricted, it can be an ordinary sword in the hands of non Paladins. Also the HA is kind of an iconic weapon of the Paladin.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Why not, if it's appropriately hard to get it, then hell yeah it should be awarded.

It doesn't have to be class restricted, it can be an ordinary sword in the hands of non Paladins. Also the HA is kind of an iconic weapon of the Paladin.

That's essentially the same thing as being class restricted, though.

That's essentially the same thing as being class restricted, though.

Almost but not quite. If there is a good explanation/story behind it I don't mind those kinds of things.

They already said this in the "design and npc / item" help thread. I *think* the equivalent of PE's Superb quality weapons would be somewhere around a +2 or +3 item.

Feel free to mod one in yourself

They already said this in the "design and npc / item" help thread. I *think* the equivalent of PE's Superb quality weapons would be somewhere around a +2 or +3 item.

Feel free to mod one in yourself

Oh I won't be disappointed if there isn't one in PoE, but I expect/hope there will be one in the sequel.

It's all about that thing called balance. No Holy Avengers.

To be fair I think it's also about not slavishly cribbing from D&D. And hopefully the paladin won't need a Holy Avenger due to not being mechanically handicapped.

• Like 2

To be fair I think it's also about not slavishly cribbing from D&D. And hopefully the paladin won't need a Holy Avenger due to not being mechanically handicapped.

As I said and others have pointed out, Balance. Other classes won't get a specific class weapon, so the Paladin won't either.

I didn't disagree with you there at all. I merely suggested that there might be more than one reason in the devs' minds.