Wold's camping trip to Iceland

Woldan

Well it's official. If I had to choose between going with Hurlshot on his trip or Woldan, I'd have to say Woldan. Those pics are incredible!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Classy as always Oby.

I have him on ignore, guess I didn't miss anything important.  ;)

I think I recognise a few of those shots, especially the black beach with the volcanic columns out to sea, I believe they were heavily used in the Gerard Butler film, "Beowulf and Grendel."A truly stunning landscape, much appreciated.

Thanks!

Its where icebergs break off from a truly huge glacier and drift out into the ocean, break apart and get washed ashore. A magnificent place and every photographers wet dream. Fortunately there was a big storm the day before so lots of ice was stranded on the black beach.

And yeah, I've never understood why its so popular among the womenz to fry yourself on some random beach like a stranded whale and do absolutely nothing.   :blink: Been there, done that. Never again. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'm pretty sure my wife and kids would revolt if I took them on Woldan's vacation.   :p

You would need some serious upgrades to the RV anyway. Namely flotation pontoons and outboard engine!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Iceland is one place I have to go to eventually, see CCP. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A restaurant, ''Gamli Baukur'' in Husavik, the first settlement on Iceland, a small fisher village. This is a highly recommendable restaurant. I took the ''catch of the day'' which was monkfish. It tasted great.

IMG_6599f_zps4a6f4d24.jpg

This monster is a monkfish.

monkfish-1_large.jpg?v=1378745937

Reykjavik shipyard:

IMG_6781c_zps2e1d51cc.jpg

And this street in Reykjavik leads to Baldur's Gate........Wait, what...? 

bg_zpsd66fda6c.jpg

Fjords in the north-east of the island. 

IMG_6694_zps0202face.jpg

Thunderstorm on the highland:

IMG_6690fch_zps9fb4a361.jpg

The highlands, too harsh and barren for towns. 

IMG_6652fgjzf_zpsdfec5189.jpg

IMG_6103fd_zps63a9e6ad.jpg

Suicidal duck family:

ygsr_zps4e825148.jpg

I'm pretty sure my wife and kids would revolt if I took them on Woldan's vacation.   :p

You would need some serious upgrades to the RV anyway. Namely flotation pontoons and outboard engine!

Simply load the RV on one of these:  :w00t: 

IMG_6012f_zpsfa51bdcd.jpg

Iceland is one place I have to go to eventually, see CCP.

I still need to go to New Zealand.....

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Is Icelandic ( the language) similar to one of the 4 Scandinavian languages ( yes I'm including Finland)?

Can a Dane for example understand someone from Iceland?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is Icelandic ( the language) similar to one of the 4 Scandinavian languages ( yes I'm including Finland)?

Nope. Swedish and Norweigan you can guess your way through with varying success. Finish might as well be Russian. Denmark, Norway and Sweden historically traded a lot and was ruled by the same kings on occasion.

Iceland was a Danish possession until they decided to mine their harbor and we decided not to bother contesting their rebellion. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Interestingly enough Icelandic seems to have hardly changed from Old Norse, strange.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nope. Swedish and Norweigan you can guess your way through with varying success. Finish might as well be Russian. Denmark, Norway and Sweden historically traded a lot and was ruled by the same kings on occasion.

Iceland was a Danish possession until they decided to mine their harbor and we decided not to bother contesting their rebellion. 

Interesting, so are you saying that Icelandic is like the  old Danish language (because it was a Danish colony)  which modern Danes don't understand?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Interesting, so are you saying that Icelandic is like the  old Danish language (because it was a Danish colony)  which modern Danes don't understand?

Yeah Icelandic is very similar to Old Norse. Guessing it was more similar to the Norwegian dialect though, as most of the settlers on Iceland were Norwegians. All Scandinavians spoke Old Norse during the 900-1300s, but Norway apparently had a different dialect than Sweden & Denmark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse#mediaviewer/File:Old_norse,_ca_900.PNG

But yeah, Norwegians/Danes/Swedes don't understand old norse at all, while Icelanders can read the old sagas in norse writing fine (as far as I know).

Edited by Thingolfin
  • Like 2

Yeah Icelandic is very similar to Old Norse. Guessing it was more similar to the Norwegian dialect though, as most of the settlers on Iceland were Norwegians. All Scandinavians spoke Old Norse during the 900-1300s, but Norway apparently had a different dialect than Sweden & Denmark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse#mediaviewer/File:Old_norse,_ca_900.PNG

But yeah, Norwegians/Danes/Swedes don't understand old norse at all, while Icelanders can read the old sagas in norse writing fine (as far as I know).

Interesting post, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

John Milton 

I wouldn't say Old Norse is that strange, over here you can often understand the inscriptions on runic stones - if you know the runic alphabet, that is.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I wouldn't say Old Norse is that strange, over here you can often understand the inscriptions on runic stones - if you know the runic alphabet, that is.

But how many people in Sweden, for example, know the runic alphabet?

John Milton 

But how many people in Sweden, for example, know the runic alphabet?

All of them have seen it in school, but I guess almost none know it by heart. Nevertheless, reading it is very simple. It's not a logographic or syllabaric writing system, so it's essentially just the latin alphabet with different characters. It's a bit like Wingdings in that sense. Obviously the spelling is very consistent, but still not too weird.

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Finland isn't actually part of Scandinavia. If you include Finland to Scandinavia you get Fennoscandia.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm back. Wow, after spending  so many days in one of the most remote regions on earth using a computer and the Internet feels so very very strange.

It's not that remote. Iceland has 100% cellphone coverage http://www.vodafone.is/internet/farnet/utbreidsla/. I'd rather be lost in Iceland than in Nunavut. 2 million square kilometers and 30,000(+/-) people. That's 20 times the size of Iceland with 10% the population.

The US, Canada and Russia all have regions orders of magnitude larger than Iceland in which you could get lost and die without anyone ever finding your body even with a dedicated search lasting a century or more.

The more you know. The more you know.

Edited by AGX-17

If I remember correctly (been a few decades since school) Iceland was for a quite long time free and independent, however this ended after the Sturlunga (Spelling) age, named after Snorri Sturlusson the great Saga chronicler. That was a period of chaos, kinslaying, robbery and general lawlessness that made the freemen decide to operate under a crown and its laws. Norway I think.

Any reader of Tolkien should know the Anglo Saxon and Old Norse versions of the Futhark by heart.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

the people spoke Icelandic with me until they realized that I only speak English. 

Not German?

the people spoke Icelandic with me until they realized that I only speak English. 

Not German?

Wow my friend they say Americans are bad at geography but that's an egregious mistake even by those standards. Iceland isn't part of Germany, and neither is Austria :p

John Milton