With all of the classes now covered to some degree, what are your initial plans for your party(ies)?

I will probably start out as either a wizard or a rogue. I think I will put alot of stat points into two attributes and cripple two others. Maybe maximise intelligence and might for my wizard and cripple dexterity and constitution since I don't want him in close anyways. I might need to give my wizard a defender type character so that he doesn't get locked into engagements. I guess that means adding a fighter into the mix. Add a paladin for a party leader and a druid for support. I then will round out the party with a cypher or a rogue. Mostly for clearing out traps and loot.

I have to say I'm terribly confused right now on what class and attributes my main character will have..

I usually like to go heavy on role playing in the first playthrough and choose a character that would be the most like me if I was in that situation. Usually I therefore choose a fighter with un-fighter-like characteristics like high charisma for the dialog options and the story.

For PoE then of course attributes are much more balanced and intelligent fighters etc do make sense, but now knowing that there is no "charisma" stat I don't know which attribute to boost to have a "role-playing heavy" experience. It's actually a strength of the game but somehow it prevents me for now from having a clear idea of want I want to do... :)

I'm also hesitating between fighter, who has something which I like a lot which is parrying/deflection etc, and rogue, which is in this game much more like the rogue Aragorn you can read about in the LotR books when Frodo first meets him in that inn than what we have been used to lately in rpg's which is basically a Gareth-like thief...I really like the concept of the rogue in PoE..

This party is for the fourth playthrough, four being the unlucky number in Japan (meaning death, same word for four and death there):

Six Death godlike monks!

Expect gleeful whimpering, epiphanous war cries of pain, and just all around howls of hair-pulling hatred of anything living.

Party member 1: "My body is ready!"

Party member 2: "Flaying is believing!"

Party member 3: *Silently and solemny wearing a bloodstained shirt, embroidered with the words "flagellation by proxy"*

Party member 4: "Please! Iron out my bugs!!"

Party member 5: "Balls to the wall!!"

Party member 6: "Hurt me! Mess me up, real bad!!"

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

^ I thought that was China. Didn't know it had the same meaning in Japan. Googling reveals quite a few east Asian countries has that meaning..

Anyway, I think I'll try and keep all my party members that I come across and not swap them out on my first play through. That means I'll keep NPCs like Calisca in my party.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

I hate that nowadays games like Dragon Age only limit your characters up to four. I think 5 it's a nice number and 6 is really awesome as you can have different types of races and classes composition that each class and race covers all the required skills and abilities perfectly.

I'll probably be playing Paladin or Rogue on my first game. Then I'll pick up a party depending on the companions Obsidian have put into the game. I like a little bit of diversity among the personalities so I'll pick up a couple of friendlies and a few headstrong rivals for my character to butt heads with.

I might use the Adventurer's Hall thingy at some point, build a more personal party. But it will take a lot of runs before I do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Chanter - PC

Fill with Companions that I like.

If I had my way... given the bugs have inhibited me from getting too far with any single character...  I would go:

Chanter - using some kind of firearm.

Monk

Warrior

Mage

Priest

Cipher/rogue

Chanters are getting nerfed. Word of God.

Honestly, let's speak in Real Talk. They are way too overpowered.

Paladins are balanced. But Chanters are way OP.

I dislike both Monk and Cipher. I don't want to have to micromanage a party members metagame playstyle in order to even be able to use them effectively. 

One guy in my stream made a comment that was both funny and poignant:

"Rangers can summon a bear, but Druids can be a bear."